Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A few tax questions

A few tax questions

Old Mar 10th 2015, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few tax questions

ĶkLast year I got H and R Block to do my taxes as it was my first tax return but was not too impressed with them and the 212 dollars they charged so I have decided to give it a go myself this year doing a paper return.
However can I ask more knowledgeable members here a few questions so that I do not mess up.
Firstly I managed to get the British tax office to stop taxing my ]government old age pension and private pension last year and I got a refund of the tax paid. Do I need to declare this refund as worldwide income along with the rest of my worldwide income ( my 2 pensions which are paid into my UK bank account and which I transfer to Canada every 3 months)? I emigrated on the 1st August 2013 so the tax refund will include months August to December 2013 but I have already filed that return last year so did not know what monies would be refunded at that time.

Secondly I filed a T1135 last year as In 2013 I sold my house in the UK and had over 100,000 dollars in British investments. However I now have no investments or house in the UK , only my 2 pensions .....which certainly do not amount to 100,000 so I believe I do not need to do a T 1135 for this year.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 4:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few tax questions

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie
ĶkLast year I got H and R Block to do my taxes as it was my first tax return but was not too impressed with them and the 212 dollars they charged so I have decided to give it a go myself this year doing a paper return.
However can I ask more knowledgeable members here a few questions so that I do not mess up.
Firstly I managed to get the British tax office to stop taxing my ]government old age pension and private pension last year and I got a refund of the tax paid. Do I need to declare this refund as worldwide income along with the rest of my worldwide income ( my 2 pensions which are paid into my UK bank account and which I transfer to Canada every 3 months)? I emigrated on the 1st August 2013 so the tax refund will include months August to December 2013 but I have already filed that return last year so did not know what monies would be refunded at that time.

Secondly I filed a T1135 last year as In 2013 I sold my house in the UK and had over 100,000 dollars in British investments. However I now have no investments or house in the UK , only my 2 pensions .....which certainly do not amount to 100,000 so I believe I do not need to do a T 1135 for this year.
For 2013 tax year you should file an adjustment if you under reported. When you filed your taxes for 2013 did you claim for foreign tax paid?

For 2014 on, you need to report all income, including overseas pensions.

If you have gains in CAD on the foreign exchange between when you get your pension and exchange it, this is also reportable, as losses can be deducted. If the amount is insignificant, I cannot imagine there being a big fuss about it.

If you have no foreign property that of $100k (aggregated) or over, no T1135 necessary.

Can agree with you on H & R. To make sure you claim all the deductions you are entitled to a good accountant can be a worthwhile investment. If you have a disability for example you could try for a T2201.