Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Christmas time - questions!!

Christmas time - questions!!

Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Christmas time - questions!!

So as I am visiting the GTA during the Christmas period for the first time, I would like to know if they have any seasonal events on?

Doesn't have to be in Toronto itself, anywhere in the GTA is fine. Are there any parades etc..?

Does it feel like Christmas over there? I am hoping it does as I would like to make an effort this year. It never feels like Christmas here to me anymore and I gave up on it a long time ago. Hoping I can celebrate it properly in Canada this year

Thanks!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:35 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas time - questions!!

Here you go
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
So as I am visiting the GTA during the Christmas period for the first time, I would like to know if they have any seasonal events on?

Doesn't have to be in Toronto itself, anywhere in the GTA is fine. Are there any parades etc..?

Does it feel like Christmas over there? I am hoping it does as I would like to make an effort this year. It never feels like Christmas here to me anymore and I gave up on it a long time ago. Hoping I can celebrate it properly in Canada this year

Thanks!
There are lots of Santa Claus parades but they're not at Christmas so I suspect you'll be too late for them. Skating outside feels Christmassy, for the ten minutes before it just feels cold. Kitchener is good for that, they have gluhvein beside the rink and a German Christmas market.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:55 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
I would refer you to Rule 1. oops am I egging you on again?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are lots of Santa Claus parades but they're not at Christmas so I suspect you'll be too late for them. Skating outside feels Christmassy, for the ten minutes before it just feels cold. Kitchener is good for that, they have gluhvein beside the rink and a German Christmas market.
I am flying out on the 14th, will they have any then?

Thanks for the tip on the ice skating
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:53 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

As dbd33 said, the parades are usually over by end of November/early December. You can go skating for free at the City Hall, have to pay skate rental though.
Although you may not be a sports (hockey) fan you should take in a game at the Air Canada Centre. It is quite exciting when you first see a game with some of the best players in the world.
There will be Christmas activities at the Science Centre, Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario. There are Christmas Lights tours of some of the more wealthy parts of town. Some of the homeowners spend thousands of dollars having the lights professionally installed.
Black Creek Pioneer Village puts on displays showing Christmas in the 19th.century.
This website if for the 2008 Christmas season but I'm sure it will be updated/changed before you come. http://www.toronto.ca/culture/christmas-events.htm

There is a good likelihood you will get the Christmas feel with snow and cold weather.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

You ask does it feel like Christmas. Hell Yea

It is magical, the cold crisp weather with the shops decked out with their coloured lights and magnificent decorations. The Eton Centre with its huge array of Reindeer and sledge hanging from the ceilings. The hanging lights twinkle like stars. The huge Xmas tree that stands centre fold in the town The smells of the different foods wafting through the streets. People shouting Happy Holidays and wishing others a Merry Xmas. The very shop assistants wishing you a Merry Xmas. The hussle and bussle of people trying to get their last minute Xmas bargains. After your days shopping to head into Timothys and get their Hot Choc with whipped cream, mmmmm. It is just a totally different world. Even better to go skating in the city on Xmas day and see all the kids laughing and smiling with their new skates. I Love It Just Love It and so will you
Ahhhhh does it feel like Xmas already to you...
I am gutted Im not there this Xmas but I hope you have a fab time and suck it all in cos it is MAGICAL...
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
As dbd33 said, the parades are usually over by end of November/early December. You can go skating for free at the City Hall, have to pay skate rental though.
Although you may not be a sports (hockey) fan you should take in a game at the Air Canada Centre. It is quite exciting when you first see a game with some of the best players in the world.
There will be Christmas activities at the Science Centre, Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario. There are Christmas Lights tours of some of the more wealthy parts of town. Some of the homeowners spend thousands of dollars having the lights professionally installed.
Black Creek Pioneer Village puts on displays showing Christmas in the 19th.century.
This website if for the 2008 Christmas season but I'm sure it will be updated/changed before you come. http://www.toronto.ca/culture/christmas-events.htm
There is a good likelihood you will get the Christmas feel with snow and cold weather.
Thanks for the tips. It all sounds great!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by keznjj
You ask does it feel like Christmas. Hell Yea

It is magical, the cold crisp weather with the shops decked out with their coloured lights and magnificent decorations. The Eton Centre with its huge array of Reindeer and sledge hanging from the ceilings. The hanging lights twinkle like stars. The huge Xmas tree that stands centre fold in the town The smells of the different foods wafting through the streets. People shouting Happy Holidays and wishing others a Merry Xmas. The very shop assistants wishing you a Merry Xmas. The hussle and bussle of people trying to get their last minute Xmas bargains. After your days shopping to head into Timothys and get their Hot Choc with whipped cream, mmmmm. It is just a totally different world. Even better to go skating in the city on Xmas day and see all the kids laughing and smiling with their new skates. I Love It Just Love It and so will you
Ahhhhh does it feel like Xmas already to you...
I am gutted Im not there this Xmas but I hope you have a fab time and suck it all in cos it is MAGICAL...
Yes it does feel like Christmas already I really can't wait to get out there now. Probably going to come back in a neck brace after ice skating but what the hell
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:49 pm
Banned

MMM_TO is an unknown quantity at this point

May I remind you it's still summer here in Toronto...
I've yet to await this 'heat wave weather' - think BC stole it.
So enough about crisp winter weather and Christmas - it's yonks away.

BTW - look up Cavalcade of Lights - it's a fireworks show they host from City Hall. Also ice skating available at the Natrel rink at the Harbourfront Centre.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:22 pm
Vancouver...one day

Rasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant future

Making me want to go out there for christmas now. Whats New Year's Eve like? Is it even a big deal in Canada?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:34 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rasputin
Making me want to go out there for christmas now. Whats New Year's Eve like? Is it even a big deal in Canada?
It much depends on where one is. In larger cities there are usually large outdoor rock/pop concerts and of course the New Year's Eve bar/club culture. In smaller centres not so much. Christmas is a bigger thing here.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:40 pm
Vancouver...one day

Rasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant futureRasputin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
It much depends on where one is. In larger cities there are usually large outdoor rock/pop concerts and of course the New Year's Eve bar/club culture. In smaller centres not so much. Christmas is a bigger thing here.
Sorry, I meant in Toronto. A rock/pop concert sounds just my cup of tea though
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:53 pm
Banned

MMM_TO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rasputin
Sorry, I meant in Toronto. A rock/pop concert sounds just my cup of tea though
They always do something down at City Hall - why do you want to freeze your behind at -20c?!?!

Clubs are a rip off at this time (but that's the same everywhere)... usually they do themed parties that cost 150 bucks or something but you get a free glass of champs.

The best NYE I've had over here is at friends and family.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:15 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

If memory serves the Eaton Centre is as Christmasy as Festival place in Basingstoke. No one goes out on Christmas Eve, Downtown Toronto is absolutely dead and it is extremely cold.

You have a substantially increased chance of seeing a white christmas. And memorys of my freind and I spending an hour one evening prior to Christmas pushing cars that kept getting stuck in snow on Yonge & Broadway are coming flooding back to mind.

No one says "Merry Christmas" too multicultural everyone says "Happy Holidays".

The TV in terms of junk far surpasses anything I have everseen in the UK.

I remember trying to go to the Eaton Centre for the Boxing Day Sales but there was a pandomonium like I'd never seen. Canadians treading on each other to get to aisles and then throwing eveything on the floor until they can find their size. The poor shop attendants completely over run. Probably the only time in Canada I ever felt unsafe.

Christmas is a religious festival so you may get more enjoyment if you go to a Carol service or something- I think that marginally heightened my Christmas experience when I was over in Vancouver.

Otherwise Christmas is about family and freinds and if you have given up on Christmas in the UK and you are surrounded by family and freinds then the likelihood of you being happier for Christmas in Canada is slim. Snow and cold are just not enough- you get out what you put in.

I have made this easy by seperating my sentences so people can pull me apart, quote and butcher me!

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 30th 2009 at 4:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.