Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

MSP enrolment confusion

MSP enrolment confusion

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSP enrolment confusion

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I think they probably would. The premiums have been reduced this year by 50% but I think many people would like to get rid of them. A lot of people also get them paid by work but it's the usual thing: only a certain type of person (often in a well paid job to begin with) benefits. My husband's company pays half. I suspect those in lower paid jobs don't get that as a benefit. My husband didn't in his last job (small company). I'm mainly self employed so don't get extended benefits or MSP premium paid. Obviously that's okay at this point as the MSP premium is for a family in our case so my husband gets it. I know those whose family income is under a certain amount are exempt but the threshold for exemption is quite a low family income.

I found this which may be slightly out of date:

https://www.morneaushepell.com/ca-en...ealth-premiums
People don't like paying taxes - there's a surprise.

People don't mind others paying for things they use - there's a surprise too.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Isn't it simply a tax by another name?

Would the residents of BC prefer the amount to be simply added to their income tax?
It is going to end up in consumer pricing now, so the more you spend the more you pay.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:08 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it simply a tax by another name?

Would the residents of BC prefer the amount to be simply added to their income tax?
Its not. Cuz you have to pay the MSP whether you are making money or not. With Income Tax you don't.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Its not. Cuz you have to pay the MSP whether you are making money or not.
So it is a tax by another name, just as I said. The same applies to GST, property tax, etc.

Originally Posted by Edo
With Income Tax you don't.
I know, that is why those that don't have to pay income tax like others having to pay for things via income tax.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is going to end up in consumer pricing now, so the more you spend the more you pay.
Well, that depends on what they intend to use to replace the revenue received. If they add it to income tax, your argument will not apply, although it will if they add it to consumption taxes.

Not being a resident of BC, I have no idea how they intend to plug the gap but, if the Premier and Weaver have anything to do with it, it wouldn't surprise me if they inform BC residents that they will fund it through a tax imposed upon anything that flows through pipelines that allow the passage of resources from Alberta
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that depends on what they intend to use to replace the revenue received. If they add it to income tax, your argument will not apply, although it will if they add it to consumption taxes.

Not being a resident of BC, I have no idea how they intend to plug the gap but, if the Premier and Weaver have anything to do with it, it wouldn't surprise me if they inform BC residents that they will fund it through a tax imposed upon anything that flows through pipelines that allow the passage of resources from Alberta
It is going to be a payroll tax paid by businesses as a percentage of their payroll.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is going to be a payroll tax paid by businesses as a percentage of their payroll.

OK. Thank you.

So businesses get to pay for things that they will never use.

I now understand your post upthread.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Who do you think should pay for healthcare then, if not the people that will benefit from it being available?
Taxes, but doesn't have to be done via premiums. It should come from the general revenue tax pool or through payroll taxes. Many employers already cover the cost of partial cost (not all though) so some employers may actually come out a head with this new method.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 23rd 2018 at 5:38 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And retail prices will now climb. I know a number of businesses that have decided to close and retire several years earlier than planned. All are employers and jobs will be lost, mostly min wage jobs.

The biggest losers out of this is anyone relying on a fixed income, seniors and people with disabilities in particular. We will all be met with higher prices, but with s fixed income, they have less to go around. The govt. mandated higher wages, higher taxes, but did not step up with corresponding increases in payments to seniors and disabled.

Those who get premium assistance will see no benefit to getting rid of MSP premiums, they will see the higher prices though and have to pay those. This group will be worse off.

Lots of folks are taking a very short sighted view of these changes, thinking oh goody the greedy business people will be taxed more. Higher costs go into the cost of goods, if cost of goods go up, prices rise.

We will see more automation, the higher the wage bills go up, the more cost effective this becomes. This will result in job losses. And so it goes on.

Cannot say about seniors, but PWD in BC has gone up more in the last year under the NDP then it did under the previous government, is it a massive raise in PWD, no but at least it was raised, any raise is better then none.

It's false to say PWD in BC has not gone up, it has. It was stagnant however under the BC Liberals.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Edo
Its not. Cuz you have to pay the MSP whether you are making money or not. With Income Tax you don't.
Not quite, if one has no income there is/was premium assistance in which premiums were fully are partially waived.

This thread is going the usual way, high income folks think they get taxed too much and the poorer folks should be more poor and pay more taxes and fees.

Oh well. I am done as I have to go work in the snow for 13 hours of which 95% of my income earned doing so goes to a multi-millionaire in the form of rent, life is so grand.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 23rd 2018 at 5:42 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Taxes, but doesn't have to be done via premiums. It should come from the general revenue tax pool or through payroll taxes. Many employers already cover the cost of partial cost (not all though) so some employers may actually come out a head with this new method.
You'll have to explain to me the difference between taxes and premiums.

You'll also have to explain to me how some employers will come out ahead with the new method.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not quite, if one has no income there is/was premium assistance in which premiums were fully are partially waived.

This thread is going the usual way, high income folks think they get taxed too much and the poorer folks should be more poor and pay more taxes and fees.

Oh well. I am done as I have to go work in the snow for 13 hours of which 95% of my income earned doing so goes to a multi-millionaire in the form of rent, life is so grand.
I haven't stated that any individual is being taxed too much, simply that it doesn't matter what the tax is called if you have to pay it.

I do believe that all should be responsible for paying for a service, if they wish to receive that service. Don't you?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:25 pm

It's false to say PWD in BC has not gone up, it has. It was stagnant however under the BC Liberals.
Read the post again, it did not say it has not gone up, it stated it had not gone up correspondingly to minimum wage. In the last 8 years, to when min wage hits $15.20 an hour, it will have increased by 90%. For someone working a min wage job, 30 hours a week, year round that is a $10,000 a year increase. Disability has just gone up $100 a month ($1200) a year.
Somewhat disproportional.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

NOTE ...................

the business premium which will replace the MSP as of January 1 2019 does NOT apply to businesses doing less than $500,000 per year, after that there will be pro-rated amounts as earnings increase.

So most small businesses will NOT be affected by the new "premium".

FWIW .................... someone might well have good benefits from their employer in which some or all of MSP, Extended Health and Dental premiums are paid, but that changes when you retire. The whole cost of all premiums is then the responsibility of the retired person ........ unless you happen to be in receipt of a Federal pension.

In our case, that meant an increase in cost of premiums from less than $100/month to over $350 ............... and a reduction in the number of items that were covered or in the percentage of the cost covered.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...premiums/rates

for anyone interested

To add BC is the only province in the country that currently charges MSP premiums so I am not sure why BC would be indifferent with doing away with it. My employer already pays mine so does not impact me.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Feb 23rd 2018 at 9:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.