Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Winnipeg Solo

Moving to Winnipeg Solo

Old Oct 4th 2017, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Winnipeg Solo

Congrats on the PR ,now you can get a real job I made friends with an Aussie when I was in da Peg ,he has recently gone back to Australia. When you eventually move to Calgary give me a shout ,met you for a beer.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiowan
Sorry I don't get notifications so kinda lost track of this thread and didn't see the new replies. I actually got my PR granted days after and officially landed 2 months ago now, just waiting for my card to come through which looks like it'll be around December after delays.

I actually also met an Aussie who moved here temporarily on a contract from Melbourne, strangely I find we have an affinity when it comes to our outlook on Winnipeg and life here as well as of course getting on in general so the social circle has expanded by two in recent months � ���� albeit it'll contract again when they move back.

To those suggesting grabbing a drink, for sure, the guy arriving around Xmas time I was hoping to go away but due to pr card delays could well still be in Winnipeg even so I'm around a bit more lately.

Regarding the cold and how to comprehend it, it cannot be comprehended until you get here, as a Brit, huge minus figures are meaningless as we don't even get close back home, also as mentioned it's not a damp cold and the skies are often clear and sun strong so you can frequently walk around in a T shirt at -15 if it's not windy and is sunny, if it's windy then it's probably comparable to trekking across the North Pole, you have to keep your face covered and away from the wind and I especially suffer with my hands, they become painful, numb and useless in 4 or 5mins max in high wind chill even with ski gloves on although the rest of me is fine, a simple pair of walmart winter boots rated to -30 or so keeps my feet toasty, jeans usually suffice for my legs and an insulated windproof work bomber jacket with a hoodie under it is enough up top. One thing I did learn last year is to moisturise your hands with good stuff, mine split multiple times at the joints due to the cold which is really painful, it's also weird how everything made of plastic or with plastic in it becomes totally rigid, your block heater extension cord, usually soft and flexible turns into a rigid iron rod after 5mins outside at -30. Take real good care of your car battery too as there is nothing worse than a dead battery, potentially no way to stay warm while waiting for a boost. Winter is no joke here, take it seriously especially if you travel outside the city limits because if you don't prepare and experience a breakdown or blizzard I can easily see how people could die. Saying that it's an interesting experience for a Brit and because you are guaranteed month of sub zero and snow then things can be done to make use of it, like the skating, ice fishing (if you're into that), snowboarding etc etc

I'm still in the stage of thinking a lot but I'm fairly sure I'll be moving to Calgary within the next year, life is too short to stoo taking steps to what I think is ultimately right for me.

Hi Kiowan,

I moved to Canada alone too, and im also from near Birmingham (the Black Country to be exact) Ive only been in the 'peg for a few hours, I did a train trip across Canada a couple of years ago, (fantastic trip) and we had to wait for changes of engineer and other train staff in Winnipeg. I can believe what you say about the streets being empty, I think the only exception to that are the bigger Canadian cities, like Toronto, Vancouver Montreal and Calgary etc. You sound like a social guy that likes to go out for a few drinks and meet people on a weekend. I think its just a different social scene here than it is to many places in Britain.

I live in a small town in Ontario, and like you said the place can be so dead sometimes! People just dont seem to go out for the night regulary like they do in England, and being single thats what we like to do. So it took me some time to adjust to living here after living close to a big city like Birmingham. I still go out to the pub and bars on a weekend, as I managed to find friends that liked doing that too, but I also found other things to do....things that I couldnt do in Britain... alot of out door stuff, like what you seem to enjoy....I actually enjoy the winter as much as the summer with things like skiing and snowmobiling, and I met a lot of friends that way. I also met a lot of my friends at work.

However saying that - all of what I said had changed now as I got laid off money is very tight and there is no other work in this town I live in, so i am looking at moving and starting again, a bit like you really. You sound a fair bit younger than me though, im 47, but needs must. From your tone it sounds like you enjoy Canada as do I, so the move to Calgary will be just what you need, Ive spent a few days in Calgary and there is lots going on there, I think it will make a big difference for you.

Whereabouts in proximity to Birmingham did you live?

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Oct 4th 2017 at 7:40 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Paul,

I have always wondered what people do in small towns when their job disappears for whatever reason, I imagine it's a case of take absolutely anything going or move, another alien concept to a European where a whole raft of similar job is never too far away to commute to.

There is definitely a very different feel depending on what part of Canada i'm in, right down from the road networks, city planning, type of shops and demeanor of people, I generally feel that South Eastern Ontario reminds me a lot more of the UK whereas the further West you go the more different everything feels.

I actually lived in Halesowen for 12 years before moving here, i've moved around the UK too before that but that's where I consider home. I'm 33 so my entire adult life was spent there. I know Kinver pretty well, my friend actually lives there just off the top of the High St and I used to ride the canals there every now and then, nice village, even that was a bit too out in the sticks for me though

I took a short drive outside the city late last night and managed to catch the Aurora kicking off which was something else new, even managed to get some pretty decent photos of it, also went to see the Pro Bull riding last weekend, strange to have such an event at the main arena in the city center. I've never been into watching sporting events but I do find they much more engaging here than home, the crowd gets to interact and join in various ways.

Thanks Neil, will do, it's usually always interesting when you meet other truckers here from the UK, I find most are owner operators now, something that's almost impossible back home so I guess for someone who really loves the job it's the way to go.

Last edited by Kiowan; Oct 15th 2017 at 6:29 am.