British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving to Winnipeg Solo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-winnipeg-solo-898184/)

Kiowan Jun 17th 2017 8:03 pm

Moving to Winnipeg Solo

So, it's been approaching 1.5yrs since I moved from Birmingham, UK to Winnipeg. I made this move alone without knowing anyone at all in Canada or the USA. I also moved over and became a long haul trucker so I actually work away from the city most of the time although compared to most long haul jobs i'm home reasonably frequently, usually every 6-7 days or upto 14 days sometimes before returning for 2 days off, it still means i'm away a lot and settling has been difficult or at least heavily stunted.

I have actually never read about or met anyone who moved to Winnipeg by themselves, without a family or a family turning up later. I met one guy here who did exactly the same and we have since become pretty good friends but that's it. So primarily i'm curious as to whether anyone moved to Winnipeg or a similar place, Saskatoon, Regina by themselves and how they got on, regardless of job?

I'm pretty adaptable as I moved a lot in the UK, open minded, have traveled a lot and am sporty, active and sociable, however, even with my limited time off in Winnipeg I have really, really struggled to envisage remaining in this city, it feels dead, there are often events and the like happening but 99% of them involve the word "folk" and are just not my thing at all, they're like a village fair but bigger, the winter ice stuff is fun. I have been out to bars and clubs but the bars if you're not into just dancing are usually fairly empty, there is no online way to connect socially, no real clubs, social groups, activity groups. I didn't even live in Birmingham, I was 10 miles outside the city but there was never a dull moment. How have other people dealt with it here? What am I missing?

Currently i'm at the conclusion that Winnipeg is just not the right place for me, the biggest reason people recommend it is low cost of living which is relevant if you're a family unit and want space and an easier life but what about single people?

I'll continue here and see how things pan out, shall be changing my job soon hopefully which will free up my availability and allow me time to try and get involved if I can figure out how but I thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone here had experiences on it...

Shard Jun 17th 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Moving to Winnipeg Solo

Sorry to hear that Kiowan. You're certainly brave for choosing Winnipeg solo. I've only visited (once, long ago) but most of the Manitobans I have met are the friendliest in Canada. Are there any locals that can plug you into Winnipeg life? It's not going to be Birmigham in terms of pubs and clubs, but there must be something going on.

johntheScot Jun 18th 2017 4:07 am

I moved to Saskatoon Solo 5 years ago. Moving by yourself is definitely tough.

in terms of friends/social life

I work in an office with a good group of people many of whom have become good friends not just a little chat at the water cooler but real friends who see regularly outside of work.

My other group of friends come from my pipe band it is a very social hobby which i have me a lot of people.

Try some online dating if you find someone apart from the obvious benefits ;) they tend to have an established circle which you become part of.

You say you are sporty active and social, how many rec leagues have you signed up for? i dont believe there are " no real clubs, social groups, activity groups " you can sign up for something every day of the week in saskatoon dont see why Winnipeg would be any different City of 0.8 million there is something going on.

I think the biggest issue here is your job rather than your location. Be very difficult to develop relationships with people when you are away so much and work on your own i assume the only time you mix with others is once you park up at a truck stop.

Certainly feel for your situation moving may help MB is not on the top of most peoples lists of an ideal place to live but you will still be living in a place were you know no one doing a job that kills your social life.

Siouxie Jun 18th 2017 4:26 pm

https://www.meetup.com/cities/ca/mb/...ports-fitness/
https://www.meetup.com/cities/ca/mb/winnipeg/social/
Winnipeg Sports Teams & Leagues information, listings and links
https://www.meetup.com/topics/singles/ca/mb/winnipeg/
https://www.meetup.com/topics/hiking/ca/mb/winnipeg/
https://www.meetup.com/cities/ca/mb/...ors-adventure/

Perhaps join in some of these? (There's a ton more too...)

:)

geoff52 Jun 18th 2017 5:43 pm

Its the work schedule that is causing the problem. if you don't want to change the work, then its going to be difficult having a social life.
Maybe local driving rather then long distance driving may help.

Kiowan Jun 19th 2017 2:31 am

Aha, don't get me wrong, it's not that there's nothing to do in Winnipeg at all, I wouldn't have lasted this long otherwise and sure the online dating thing has been essential for networking even if not for dating but there is nothing like dating events or speed dating in Winnipeg, it doesn't exist which I find odd. Meetup is something i've been part of for years, in Winnipeg there are many groups but they are mostly totally inactive with maybe 3-5 attendees and most groups consist of those in their 50s and over, I joined a hiking group when I moved here, went on 3 and chatted to the organiser a lot, he knew the nature of my job, 3 months later he kicked me out for lack of attendance and when questioned told me to rejoin when I get more free time lol As mentioned I can't join a badminton club for example as it's a membership scheme with regular days to attend which I can't commit to but even when I was around a lot for the first 2 months I struggled to really find anything going on for young people.

It's not a case of "not wanting to change my work", I cannot change my work, i'm a provincial nominee on a closed permit so until I gain PR i'm stuck to my job. I'm just genuinely surprised by the lack of activity in the city, I have an Australian friend here who has also moved over recently, also be it temporarily, we were out Sat night in the city, it's a Jazz festival at the moment and we both were just bemused by how dead the streets and bars are, its a city of nearly 3/4 a million but feels like a village and i've been been out quite a few times and it's always the same, winter or summer.

I've had plenty of time to look into the situation in other cities and it's definitely looking like an MB/SK thing, Calgary has tons going on so it's not even confined to Vancouver/Toronto. I'll be off as soon as I can for sure, no reason to go home when I simply need to move somewhere more suited to young people in Canada but I was curious to hear of the experience of others in similar situations in this city.

I guess this post was spurred on a bit by the fact I just took a week off as I was totally worn out by work and I pretty much found nothing to do all week until Sat/Sun when my friends were around and even then we were all kinda enjoying eachother's company rather than the actual city having anything to offer. I'm still getting over the hilarity of having to pass through a double security screening while sitting in a 7ft fenced in segregated compound no bigger than your average pub lounge patrolled by about 6 security staff at the edge of the "festival" to be able to drink outdoors at 3x normal prices.

dormy Jun 19th 2017 3:29 pm

I moved to Winnipeg by myself 6 years ago, I hear what you are saying, it is very hard to assimilate into Winnipeg life, as a middle aged guy; it doesn't really get any easier, but this city is all about who you know, and once you get into a network, things quickly open up to you that you didn't even think about before. There is no real bar scene, most socializing is done in people homes in the winter and at the lake in the summer. Drop me a pm sometime and we can maybe grab a beer, and maybe give you a few hints

Shakyuk Jun 20th 2017 8:48 am

It does sound like your job is seriously hindering your chance of integration, it would be hard to form any kind of lasting relationship with so little free time at home for yourself. But it does seem you recognise this but are also stuck due to your permit. If it isn't too long until you can get PR, maybe just try and make as much money as possible, get PR, change job to something where you have more time and see if your situation feels better. If not then even if you do move, you won't feel like you've wasted your time if you've put a little money aside.
No matter what happens you shouldn't feel you wasted your time, it takes courage to make such a big move on your own and take that chance. You know more now than you did before.
Best of luck to you and I hope things get better.

DeeMB Jun 20th 2017 11:48 pm

I agree with dormy, It's about who you know and knowing the right people for you. Summer is all about the lake and getting in some fishing. Have you been out to Riding Mountain? There are a ton of amazing trails to discover and hopefully recharge your batteries. I can't afford a cottage so it's camping for me. But just being outdoors in Summer when we spend months on end trapped in Winnipeg is a god send.
We have been here just over 2 years and I certainly hear what you are saying!
This is a huge move and takes time to find a balance and peace.
Good Luck x

neilcumming Jun 22nd 2017 12:38 am

I lived in Winnipeg for 5yrs I'm a long haul truck driver too.I had my son with he hated Winnipeg went back to UK.Im now living in Calgary and it a far far better place than the Peg so I suggest as soon as you get PR head to Calgary.

Obitim Jul 17th 2017 11:53 pm

We're flying out to Winnipeg on Christmas day this year (as long as my wife's study permit is approved!) so happy to get in touch once we land and are a bit settled?

neilcumming Jul 18th 2017 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Obitim (Post 12296698)
We're flying out to Winnipeg on Christmas day this year (as long as my wife's study permit is approved!) so happy to get in touch once we land and are a bit settled?

Christmas day eh bring your longjohns.

Obitim Jul 18th 2017 12:19 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 12296712)
Christmas day eh bring your longjohns.

We've had the horror stories when we were over last year chatting with the locals! :blink::blink:

neilcumming Jul 18th 2017 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Obitim (Post 12296713)
We've had the horror stories when we were over last year chatting with the locals! :blink::blink:

Lol all good then.

Obitim Jul 18th 2017 12:34 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 12296715)
Lol all good then.

I went for a preliminary interview in Saskatoon and the guy there said he wasn't going to tell me about the winters but I could find out for myself! :)

It seems you just need to be intelligent with your clothing...

So no mankini in December is the impression I get