Reload this Page >

UK Nurse looking to emigrate to Ontario

UK Nurse looking to emigrate to Ontario

Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Dawnpritchard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Nurse looking to emigrate to Ontario

Hi all

I am a registered nurse in the U.K. and am looking to emigrate to Ontario with my family (husband and 2 children). I have been through the process with NNAS and have been informed by college of nurses of Ontario that I am eligible to sit the NCLEX. We have completed our express entry profile but only have 397 points and to gain more points we would require a job offer. My problem is that even if I passed the NCLEX, it appears that you need a visa to register with the college of nurses, and in order to be offered a job you need to be registered with the college. Does anyone know of any recruitment agencies that would offer opportunities for nurses in my position. My husband is Managing Director of a security company, so has management experience and is also skilled in alarm and CCTV installations etc. What are the chances of gaining a job offer when we are still in the UK. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dawn
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Inabsentia_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nurse looking to emigrate to Ontario

Originally Posted by Dawnpritchard
Hi all

I am a registered nurse in the U.K. and am looking to emigrate to Ontario with my family (husband and 2 children). I have been through the process with NNAS and have been informed by college of nurses of Ontario that I am eligible to sit the NCLEX. We have completed our express entry profile but only have 397 points and to gain more points we would require a job offer. My problem is that even if I passed the NCLEX, it appears that you need a visa to register with the college of nurses, and in order to be offered a job you need to be registered with the college. Does anyone know of any recruitment agencies that would offer opportunities for nurses in my position. My husband is Managing Director of a security company, so has management experience and is also skilled in alarm and CCTV installations etc. What are the chances of gaining a job offer when we are still in the UK. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dawn
Hi Dawn,

From my experience whilst it is not impossible to get a job offer, in clinical roles such as a nurse or advanced nurse practitioner (ANP) they usually require you to have secured PR status before they will offer you a job. Most clinical job descriptions will explicitly state you need to be a PR or resident. Your best chances of securing a job are therefore post-PR approval. Your husband may have more success obtaining a job but I'm not too sure about the trades.

Last edited by Inabsentia_; Sep 10th 2017 at 10:00 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario is a rough province to get a job for nurses. To get a job you will have to compete with internal applicants who will have seniority. The college may indicate you have met requirements and just need to arrive in Canada and provide proof of residency before issuing license after passing NCLEX
Old Sep 11th 2017, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks

Maybe we'll see if husband can get a job first
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Ontario is a rough province to get a job for nurses. To get a job you will have to compete with internal applicants who will have seniority. The college may indicate you have met requirements and just need to arrive in Canada and provide proof of residency before issuing license after passing NCLEX

Is a BSN now required to work as a RN in Ontario? My wife is a UK diploma trained nurse (Manchester Royal Infirmary, 1986) who worked as a RN in Ontario 1989-96 but who has since let her Ontario license lapse. She has continued to work as a RN since leaving Ontario (in the UK and US) and is currently registered in Maryland. Will she be able to be registered in Ontario without a BSN? She has Canadian citizenship so there are no immigration issues.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Is a BSN now required to work as a RN in Ontario? My wife is a UK diploma trained nurse (Manchester Royal Infirmary, 1986) who worked as a RN in Ontario 1989-96 but who has since let her Ontario license lapse. She has continued to work as a RN since leaving Ontario (in the UK and US) and is currently registered in Maryland. Will she be able to be registered in Ontario without a BSN? She has Canadian citizenship so there are no immigration issues.
No you don't have to have a BSN :
Old Sep 11th 2017, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I was lucky and had no trouble getting an RN job in Ontario. You may have to start part time, but as soon as you are in the system, you become an internal applicant and it doesn't normally take too long to get full time. I actually find that because I get a vacation premium allowance on top of my wage, and am first in line for overtime, I probably earn as much as the full timers. ( I don't get benefits though) Our hospital is always looking for nurses. Our last new hires have all been 'outsiders!'
Old Sep 11th 2017, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi anders101

If you don't mind me asking, which area do you work in, I'm looking at Toronto or London areas but quite open, I'm happy to start with part time. Do you know of any hospitals currently taking on overseas nurses.

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind me asking, which area do you work in, I'm looking at Toronto or London areas but quite open, I'm happy to start with part time.
Just in case you're not already aware, a part-time job offer won't count as arranged employment for points on the CRS for your EE app.

HTH.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

mikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud of

Hi Dawn
I had some great advice from the only recruitment agency that would touch an IEN without residency. Unfortunately, in the short term I won't be working in the bright lights of the city, they focus on rural recruitment. But as a stepping stone, I now have a work permit and will be able to get PR within a few months (hopefully). Once my 2 years in the job I've arranged is complete, I'll be free to be wherever the mood takes me. And honestly, 2 years in a small rural town is a new experience and for me, that's what the move to Canada is all about, experiencing a new way of living and nursing. As a bonus, the job I have pays so well that we don't need 2 salaries. I guess what I'm saying is that there are options but you might not get everything you want straight up.
I registered with CRNNS because they don't have a requirement to have legal status in Canada before issuing a license. Unfortunately, pretty much every employer wants you to have residency as the process for them to get approval for a foreign worker is arduous and a little costly if the worker backs out.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: UK Nurse looking to emigrate to Ontario

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at CRNNS, don't mind starting in a rural area, quite like the idea
Old Oct 15th 2017, 4:34 am
Just Joined

mikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud ofmikey8954 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at CRNNS, don't mind starting in a rural area, quite like the idea
Let me know if there is any more specific info I can give you. The agency I got in touch with was called PRN staffing solutions. Melane has been incredibly helpful! Good luck. Only 6 weeks before I start my canadaian adventure!