Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Winnipeg Solo

Moving to Winnipeg Solo

Old Jul 18th 2017, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Winnipeg Solo

Originally Posted by Obitim
I went for a preliminary interview in Saskatoon and the guy there said he wasn't going to tell me about the winters but I could find out for myself!

It seems you just need to be intelligent with your clothing...

So no mankini in December is the impression I get
Wear layers of clothing hat and gloves,I use ski gloves in winter for outside the truck fuelling etc and you will ok
Old Jul 18th 2017, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Wear layers of clothing hat and gloves,I use ski gloves in winter for outside the truck fuelling etc and you will ok
Cheers Neil, much appreciated!

Any recommendations for where to get cold weather gear? How cold it gets?
Old Jul 18th 2017, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As the UK normally refers to temperatures using the Fahrenheit scale at its coldest expect Winnipeg temperatures to reach as low as MINUS 40F. No it won't be that all winter but from November to April don't expect temperatures to be above plus 32F.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Lancastrian, I'm gonna have to Google that, I'm a Celsius kid I'm afraid
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Oops - got my wrist slapped for promoting my business... sorry admins!

<snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 18th 2017 at 7:54 am. Reason: Erm.....! You're still directing people to your business, please don't.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Lancastrian, I'm gonna have to Google that, I'm a Celsius kid I'm afraid
-40°C is the same as -40°F. That's where the temperatures equal out.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Ah...well that makes it easier then!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Try Mark's they are pretty good for all types of work clothes their stores are all over Canada not cheap though.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Try Mark's they are pretty good for all types of work clothes their stores are all over Canada not cheap though.
Cheers Neil, I hear that you need to drop a good bit of cash for a coat, but it'll pay for itself
Old Jul 18th 2017, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Neil, I hear that you need to drop a good bit of cash for a coat, but it'll pay for itself
Funnily enough you don't need to drop much cash, you can get a suitable one for $100; its all about layers here, as the cold is so dry it doesn't penetrate. Layers and keep exposed skin covered you'll be alright
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dormy
Funnily enough you don't need to drop much cash, you can get a suitable one for $100; its all about layers here, as the cold is so dry it doesn't penetrate. Layers and keep exposed skin covered you'll be alright
Cheers Dormy, that's one thing my wife and I are struggling with, the idea of a dry cold!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Dormy, that's one thing my wife and I are struggling with, the idea of a dry cold!
It is very hard to explain or fathom until you have experienced it. Its the wind that gets you, hence the layers required and skin covered. I am often seen shoveling the drive in -20 wearing no more than a sweatshirt, so long as there is no wind, you just don't really feel it.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wow!

That's incredible! This is something we must see!
Old Jul 19th 2017, 6:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I like to go catfishing at Lockport just north of Winnipeg, and there is a lot of other good fishing not too far away, as well as ice fishing in winter. I know it isn't for everyone, but at least Manitoba still offers a reduced "conservation license" so it doesn't cost the moon if you aren't a resident.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry I don't get notifications so kinda lost track of this thread and didn't see the new replies. I actually got my PR granted days after and officially landed 2 months ago now, just waiting for my card to come through which looks like it'll be around December after delays.

I actually also met an Aussie who moved here temporarily on a contract from Melbourne, strangely I find we have an affinity when it comes to our outlook on Winnipeg and life here as well as of course getting on in general so the social circle has expanded by two in recent months 😅 albeit it'll contract again when they move back.

To those suggesting grabbing a drink, for sure, the guy arriving around Xmas time I was hoping to go away but due to pr card delays could well still be in Winnipeg even so I'm around a bit more lately.

Regarding the cold and how to comprehend it, it cannot be comprehended until you get here, as a Brit, huge minus figures are meaningless as we don't even get close back home, also as mentioned it's not a damp cold and the skies are often clear and sun strong so you can frequently walk around in a T shirt at -15 if it's not windy and is sunny, if it's windy then it's probably comparable to trekking across the North Pole, you have to keep your face covered and away from the wind and I especially suffer with my hands, they become painful, numb and useless in 4 or 5mins max in high wind chill even with ski gloves on although the rest of me is fine, a simple pair of walmart winter boots rated to -30 or so keeps my feet toasty, jeans usually suffice for my legs and an insulated windproof work bomber jacket with a hoodie under it is enough up top. One thing I did learn last year is to moisturise your hands with good stuff, mine split multiple times at the joints due to the cold which is really painful, it's also weird how everything made of plastic or with plastic in it becomes totally rigid, your block heater extension cord, usually soft and flexible turns into a rigid iron rod after 5mins outside at -30. Take real good care of your car battery too as there is nothing worse than a dead battery, potentially no way to stay warm while waiting for a boost. Winter is no joke here, take it seriously especially if you travel outside the city limits because if you don't prepare and experience a breakdown or blizzard I can easily see how people could die. Saying that it's an interesting experience for a Brit and because you are guaranteed month of sub zero and snow then things can be done to make use of it, like the skating, ice fishing (if you're into that), snowboarding etc etc

I'm still in the stage of thinking a lot but I'm fairly sure I'll be moving to Calgary within the next year, life is too short to stoo taking steps to what I think is ultimately right for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.