Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Windsor, Ontario.

Moving to Windsor, Ontario.

Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

The Davenports is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Windsor, Ontario.

Haven't been on the forum for quite some time as due to the housing market we thought our move would never happen.
Our time was due to run out on the 15th Dec but we will be heading out to Windsor at the end of November, can't believe how close we were!!!!!
A bit scared but also excited, there will be myself Cathy 41, husband David 52, daughter Logan 15 and son Mason 11.
Is there anyone in the Windsor area who can give us a bit of advice on anything really.
We are planning to book a hotel for about a week and been in contact with a realtor to look at rentals when we arrive, planning to rent for 6/12 months and then probably buy.
All advice would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks, Cathy
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:05 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Windsor, Ontario.

Hello - there's a few of us in Windsor on here now.

First piece of advice - start looking for rentals now, the rental market (for something that you would want to live in!) in Windsor is limited.

Anything else you want to know, just ask....
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Windsor the city across from Detroit?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
Hello - there's a few of us in Windsor on here now.

First piece of advice - start looking for rentals now, the rental market (for something that you would want to live in!) in Windsor is limited.

Anything else you want to know, just ask....
WE are looking at the area of Tecumseh, Belle River etc, are we looking in the right direction?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:04 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Isn't Windsor the city across from Detroit?
South of Detroit yes - is there a point to that statement?

Originally Posted by The Davenports
WE are looking at the area of Tecumseh, Belle River etc, are we looking in the right direction?
Tecumseh is nice, as is La Salle. Belle River and Amhertsberg also, but a bit further out, likewise with Leamington and Kingsville. Really it depends on how far you want to be out of the city.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
South of Detroit yes - is there a point to that statement?

Tecumseh is nice, as is La Salle. Belle River and Amhertsberg also, but a bit further out, likewise with Leamington and Kingsville. Really it depends on how far you want to be out of the city.
Just checking that it was the Windsor ON I thought it was. Thanks for answering.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Just checking that it was the Windsor ON I thought it was. Thanks for answering.
It does say Windsor, Ontario in the Title!!???
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:56 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i looked at Belle River,,they had some cracking properties their...but i ended up in Edmonton Tsk!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:06 pm

It does say Windsor, Ontario in the Title!!???
Yes, but thought it might be one that's not a complete dump.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:11 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Yes, but thought it might be one that's not a complete dump.
And what makes you think it's a dump? Just because it's next to Detroit doesn't mean it is the same as Detroit....
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
And what makes you think it's a dump? Just because it's next to Detroit doesn't mean it is the same as Detroit....
Windsor/Detroit...where the 1st world meets the 3rd world...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:16 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Windsor/Detroit...where the 1st world meets the 3rd world...

To be fair - the majority of Detroit is fine, nice even, especially the suburbs. Nothing wrong with downtown Detroit either - I have no problem with walking around there, even at night. There's only a small ghetto section that is grim and is what gives it its bad rep....
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by G77
I don't mean to offend, but I've been there quite a few times, admittedly mostly in winter but I can't get my head around why someone would swap the picturesque English countryside and standard of living for Windsor ON. Each to his own though.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:21 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

I don't mean to offend, but I've been there quite a few times, admittedly mostly in winter but I can't get my head around why someone would swap the picturesque English countryside and standard of living for Windsor ON. Each to his own though.
You have a fair point, if you can afford to live in the picturesque English countryside - unfortunately, that is out of the reach of many, myself included. So I'll make do with 5+ months of glorious 30+ oC summer weather and a back yard swimming pool to cool off in and live with the mild Windsor winter (compared with the rest of Canada, west coast excluded).
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

KeithHaring is an unknown quantity at this point

My in-laws live in Tecumseh (used to be St-Clair Beach) just up from the Zehrs. Nice part of town - plenty of amenities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.