Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving whilst waiting for a work permit

Moving whilst waiting for a work permit

Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

AdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving whilst waiting for a work permit

Hi everyone,

I am applying to move to Canada via the Atlantic Immigration pilot and as part of the process I am applying for a temporary work permit to get into the country quicker and then apply for PR within 90 days.

So far so good.

The complication comes because we had news a day or two ago that the dates for processing the applications has slipped by up to four weeks!

As of Dec 8th we will be homeless here in the UK and sleeping with in laws (we have two young kids as well). Our plan was to move out on Boxing Day and explore the area (Halifax, NS).

Could we come to Canada as visitors on a holiday, explore etc then once the work permit comes in drive to America and have a few days in Maine then drive back over the border with our work permit. Is this allowed? Has anyone done something similar?

We are also shipping goods for which we won’t have the permit yet. At the border do we declare other items are coming when we land as visitors or just wait until we get our permit?

Thanks anyone who can help or offer advice. Happy to clarify further if needed.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving whilst waiting for a work permit

You can come as visitors and be given up to 6 months. You should be getting a letter of invitation via the Atlantic Immigration Pilot which will say something like present this letter to CBSA on arrival in Canada. It is then you actually get the Work Permit.
As for shipping goods then that becomes the tricky part. You can arrange to have them shipped once you are in possession of the actual work permit or you would need to have them stored in a bonded sufferance warehouse in Canada until you get the work permit as you run the risk of CBSA refusing to clear them if only on visitor status.

Visitors normally don't ship 20 or 40" containers of household goods as they don't need those goods if just visiting and if you do then CBSA would think you are coming to live permanently and won't leave the country.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

AdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond reputeAdamPiercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can come as visitors and be given up to 6 months. You should be getting a letter of invitation via the Atlantic Immigration Pilot which will say something like present this letter to CBSA on arrival in Canada. It is then you actually get the Work Permit.
As for shipping goods then that becomes the tricky part. You can arrange to have them shipped once you are in possession of the actual work permit or you would need to have them stored in a bonded sufferance warehouse in Canada until you get the work permit as you run the risk of CBSA refusing to clear them if only on visitor status.

Visitors normally don't ship 20 or 40" containers of household goods as they don't need those goods if just visiting and if you do then CBSA would think you are coming to live permanently and won't leave the country.
Thank you for your reply.

The shipping has been estimated to take 12-15 weeks by which point I should have my WP, could I not say anything when entering as visitor and just declare when entering with the permit?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamPiercy
Thank you for your reply.

The shipping has been estimated to take 12-15 weeks by which point I should have my WP, could I not say anything when entering as visitor and just declare when entering with the permit?
Providing you have the work permit issued at a Port Of Entry it would be then that you provide CBSA with a list of the goods being shipped. CBSA will be less suspicious once the work permit has been issued and that you will be applying for PR under the AIP.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Providing you have the work permit issued at a Port Of Entry it would be then that you provide CBSA with a list of the goods being shipped. CBSA will be less suspicious once the work permit has been issued and that you will be applying for PR under the AIP.
You mention that I can get the work permit at the border, how does this work? Once I get the letter from the AIPP that says "yes, we endorse you" I can use that to enter the country and get my permit at the border?

Is this what you are saying? Sorry if I am getting this backwards.

Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:13 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It was 13 years ago, but I moved here without any residency status and shipped a 20ft container of possessions, which were accepted without problem on the basis they were being used to furnish a house I purchased.

I applied for a temporary work permit around 4 months later by driving to the border for an interview and issuance of the permit.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AdamPiercy
You mention that I can get the work permit at the border, how does this work? Once I get the letter from the AIPP that says "yes, we endorse you" I can use that to enter the country and get my permit at the border?

Is this what you are saying? Sorry if I am getting this backwards.

Thanks
Yes you get the letter then on arrival present it to CBSA and if everything ok they will issue the work permit.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you get the letter then on arrival present it to CBSA and if everything ok they will issue the work permit.
That is very reassuring to know. May not have any issue then as that is due in the next day or two!
Old Nov 27th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

I got a reply from NS immigration today that says "you would apply for the work permit in the UK and wait for approval. Candidates through the AIPP cannot apply for their work permits when they enter Canada. This is an option through other programs but not the AIPP."

So, back to my initial question. Can I visit Canada as a visitor and then once I get the permit go to the US and re-enter Canada with the permit?

Is this allowed?