Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver and very confussed!

Moving to Vancouver and very confussed!

Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

erin87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Moving to Vancouver and very confussed!

I would very much appreciate some advice from anyone who has emigrated to, or lives in Vancouver.

Myself and my partner are moving over from the UK in the next couple of weeks, he has a job and LMO approved and I shall be going over as his common law partner also on a work visa. I however have not got a job waiting for me as I have very few qualifications, my plan was to come over, decide what part of BC to actually move to (as we still don't know what part to live in) and find a small job from there.

These plans have, well they have a spanner in the works now, I recently found out that I am now expecting a baby, so am panicking.
I am covered by all his health care and he will be earing more than enough money for the both of us, but I need a job as I cant just sit around it will drive me crazy! The obstacles I have 1. is that I don't think anyone will employ someone that has just moved to their County who is also pregnant and 2 I have very little qualifications.
The other thing I thought of was to attend a College or University but again I have not got the qualifications to get in, id have to stop a while when baby was born and only have a work permit not a study!

I'm so confused, if there is any advice you could give me in regards to places to live, what chance I have of being employed with no qualifications and pregnant, advice on courses I am able to take? Online courses, anything!

Any advice would be greatly received, thank you so much xxx
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:58 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver and very confussed!

What's your background? I would suggest temping though not knowing your work experience it's hard to make suggestions.

As for the pregnancy (congratulations by the way) it's illegal in Canada to discriminate against being pregnant and you don't need to tell employers right away either.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by erin87
I would very much appreciate some advice from anyone who has emigrated to, or lives in Vancouver.

Myself and my partner are moving over from the UK in the next couple of weeks, he has a job and LMO approved and I shall be going over as his common law partner also on a work visa. I however have not got a job waiting for me as I have very few qualifications, my plan was to come over, decide what part of BC to actually move to (as we still don't know what part to live in) and find a small job from there.

These plans have, well they have a spanner in the works now, I recently found out that I am now expecting a baby, so am panicking.
I am covered by all his health care and he will be earing more than enough money for the both of us, but I need a job as I cant just sit around it will drive me crazy! The obstacles I have 1. is that I don't think anyone will employ someone that has just moved to their County who is also pregnant and 2 I have very little qualifications.
The other thing I thought of was to attend a College or University but again I have not got the qualifications to get in, id have to stop a while when baby was born and only have a work permit not a study!

I'm so confused, if there is any advice you could give me in regards to places to live, what chance I have of being employed with no qualifications and pregnant, advice on courses I am able to take? Online courses, anything!

Any advice would be greatly received, thank you so much xxx
As a rule most employee benefit plans don't kick in until the employee has been on payroll for 3 months. BC Medical services plan also does not cover you for the balance of the month you arrive and the two following months.

Employer healthcare is only a top of of the provincial plan, the get employee healthcare you have to be on BC MSP and employer plans only cover most of what MSP does not cover. Employer plans are not a replacement of MSP.

The first three months you may have to pay for your healthcare privately or find a private insurer who will cover you (will be hard for a pregnancy).
Old Jul 21st 2014, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Vancouver and very confussed!

[QUOTE=Tigger1;11343690]What's your background? I would suggest temping though not knowing your work experience it's hard to make suggestions.

As for the pregnancy (congratulations by the way) it's illegal in Canada to discriminate against being pregnant and you don't need to tell employers right away

Thank you for the congratulations and some reassurance that I should not be discriminated against.
My back ground is mixed I have about 6 years of Customer Service/ Sales and about 5 years in the Health Care industry, I really wanted to look into becoming a Nutritionist as after all these years I have finally decided that's what I would like to do! I have looked into this and I would need to do a lot of studying which I would be prepared to do bit again don't know how easy that would be for me.
Do you think an online course would be an option? Would the qualification be as respected? Would I still need a study visa aswell?
Thank you again for your advice
Old Jul 21st 2014, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
As a rule most employee benefit plans don't kick in until the employee has been on payroll for 3 months. BC Medical services plan also does not cover you for the balance of the month you arrive and the two following months.

Employer healthcare is only a top of of the provincial plan, the get employee healthcare you have to be on BC MSP and employer plans only cover most of what MSP does not cover. Employer plans are not a replacement of MSP.

The first three months you may have to pay for your healthcare privately or find a private insurer who will cover you (will be hard for a pregnancy).
Thank you for your information yes I thought that may be the case with the healthcare as it would be the same here, iv had my scan early here privately to avoid any problem bit will need my later scan in about 2 months time which we could do privately I'm just not sure about midwives etc, this is my first pregnancy and it's confusing enough anyway! Do I sign up privately and get a midwife? I'm so sorry for the naivety of some of my questions but I really don't have a clue about any of this!
Thank you again
Old Jul 21st 2014, 11:47 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think an online course would be an option? Would the qualification be as respected?
There are no pre-requisites for distance learning from BC's provincially appointed university for online/distance education: Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning

The courses and tutors are the same as those that provide on campus studies.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 11:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your information yes I thought that may be the case with the healthcare as it would be the same here, iv had my scan early here privately to avoid any problem bit will need my later scan in about 2 months time which we could do privately I'm just not sure about midwives etc, this is my first pregnancy and it's confusing enough anyway! Do I sign up privately and get a midwife? I'm so sorry for the naivety of some of my questions but I really don't have a clue about any of this!
Thank you again
Absolutely no idea. You would need to talk to a doctor, which is an issue in itself as many docs are not taking new patients, so you may have to go to a walk in clinic, no appointments and see whoever is on duty. I would look at the costs in case you have to pay before you arrive.

In BC there is no private medical care, it is all govt run, you just pay if you don't have MSP or are from out of province without coverage. Pay first then get the treatment. Healthcare costs in Canada are not as bad as the US, but are still very costly without coverage.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Absolutely no idea. You would need to talk to a doctor, which is an issue in itself as many docs are not taking new patients, so you may have to go to a walk in clinic, no appointments and see whoever is on duty. I would look at the costs in case you have to pay before you arrive.

In BC there is no private medical care, it is all govt run, you just pay if you don't have MSP or are from out of province without coverage. Pay first then get the treatment. Healthcare costs in Canada are not as bad as the US, but are still very costly without coverage.
Is just like to point out that the reason I am on here is to find out answers such as these.
I am fully aware I don't know a lot about health care in Canada but it was not an issue until couple of weeks ago.
Thank you for the advice again but I don't need the comment about me knowing nothing, after all this is why I am on this forum.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:25 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think you must have misunderstood. I can't see anything in Aviator's post that should cause offense.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:51 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with JBE, I don't think Aviator was having a go at you at all.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is just like to point out that the reason I am on here is to find out answers such as these.
I am fully aware I don't know a lot about health care in Canada but it was not an issue until couple of weeks ago.
Thank you for the advice again but I don't need the comment about me knowing nothing, after all this is why I am on this forum.
I agree with what JonboyE and ExKiwilass have said.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:28 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree with what JonboyE and ExKiwilass have said.
Erin, I agree with these views, nobody was being nasty... BUT...I too found myself in a somewhat 'unknown' situation and pregnant and had little or no idea of my 'rights' or indeed the intention of my partner - bloody scary. I became very touchy and really objectionable to some of the most innocuous people! You are having a hormonal rush...there's nothing you can do about it! Enjoy it! It happens a couple of times in your life, perhaps, if you're lucky and should be a cause for celebration!

Health care here in Canada is pretty patchy, certainly from a dedicated family doctor point of view, but it is here nevertheless and Canada needs kids, so you will be looked after. You won't however have any of your normal support group like family and friends at this vulnerable time so you might need to think long and hard before making a decision.

Very best wishes, and congratulations on your joyous arrival

Last edited by MillieF; Jul 22nd 2014 at 1:29 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Just would like to say sorry of that message seemed a bit over the top!
I am very emotional and confused at the moment, you were only telling me how it is over there.
Please except my apology :/
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 11:43 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I echo one and all when I say no apology needed. The women have all felt the same way before, and the men living with them have weathered the storms!

Don't disappear, if you have a question ask it...we only want to help
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just would like to say sorry of that message seemed a bit over the top!
I am very emotional and confused at the moment, you were only telling me how it is over there.
Please except my apology :/
That's very nice of you. Please stick around...the regulars are a lovely bunch of people and will always try to help you if they can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.