Reload this Page >

moving to Toronto , prev in calgary

moving to Toronto , prev in calgary

Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Toronto , prev in calgary

Hi I will try to keep this short (Ish)
as a family we all lived in Calgary, immigrated from UK , for 6 years till last year , then moved back to UK, children wanted to go to uni here , looking after aging mums etc. Anyway, hubby wants to go back to his banking career in Toronto, he has about 8 years left, before retirement , and gladly acceppteded back into the fold by his employers , but he wants to go, really go, but needs a really nice immediate environment, condo to rent , or buy , an area that feels nice, maybe a British feeling high street , this seems to be the very important to him, it needs to be commutable to downtown, .either tube or go .

Any ideas please ? Renting to start, say 6 months , then look to buy, what areas feel nice , not withstanding of course , it's a big bussiling city !

Ta, Sue

P's it says I am new to forum, but change of email address etc, kinda forced me to re register, brit expats have been many a good friend to me , in past years x
Old Apr 19th 2015, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Toronto , prev in calgary

To meet his "High Street" needs he should be looking in two areas. In the east it's The Beach and for the west it's High Park. Both are 30-45 minute commute from Downtown and both super areas in which to live. Each has a High Street feel to them.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
To meet his "High Street" needs he should be looking in two areas. In the east it's The Beach and for the west it's High Park. Both are 30-45 minute commute from Downtown and both super areas in which to live. Each has a High Street feel to them.
I was thinking Bloor West Village, so with you on the High Park thing. I also really like Yorkville. Neither place is cheap.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I was thinking Bloor West Village, so with you on the High Park thing. I also really like Yorkville. Neither place is cheap.
What about here: very pricey though

http://goo.gl/maps/nBmer

In my opinion, not taking advantage of the best of what Toronto has to offer..diversity.

However, if you want to get into the Havergal, Sporting Life, Lululemon, UCC, Craigleath, Lake Rousseau cycle of life, fill your boots in this area.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that , will look into those areas ,
Sue
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yonge/Eglinton. My wife and I lived there for a few years. Great area. Also has a high street feel. Plus the 'Rose & Crown' and 'Duke of Kent' pubs to make him feel at home.

Visit YONGE EGLINTON and discover a world you thought you knew

Also, this might be useful: Toronto Neighbourhoods
Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanmountain
Hi I will try to keep this short (Ish)
as a family we all lived in Calgary, immigrated from UK , for 6 years till last year , then moved back to UK, children wanted to go to uni here , looking after aging mums etc. Anyway, hubby wants to go back to his banking career in Toronto, he has about 8 years left, before retirement , and gladly acceppteded back into the fold by his employers , but he wants to go, really go, but needs a really nice immediate environment, condo to rent , or buy , an area that feels nice, maybe a British feeling high street , this seems to be the very important to him, it needs to be commutable to downtown, .either tube or go .

Any ideas please ? Renting to start, say 6 months , then look to buy, what areas feel nice , not withstanding of course , it's a big bussiling city !

Ta, Sue

P's it says I am new to forum, but change of email address etc, kinda forced me to re register, brit expats have been many a good friend to me , in past years x
A British feeling high street???? Aren't they just fill of boarded up dead retailers now???

The only area I would add is perhaps around Queen street nr Riverdale/Leslieville or of the Danforth line enroute to the beach where you can find nice restaurants/coffee shops.

I'd say the Beaches is the nicest but gets rammed on long weekends by non-residents.

Yonge-Eg has fantastic restuarants.

I don't know much about Bloor West Village but have always heard nice things.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Again, really a big thank thank you for all your suggestions , we are going to go out in June to have a look around, focusing or some of the areas suggested.

We have got in touch with a realtor, that seems very mature in age and experience , that know the realtor we used in calgary, very well.

But if people know a good realtor I could use that will be great ,
sue