Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to SK at the most expensive time!

Moving to SK at the most expensive time!

Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

David3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to SK at the most expensive time!

Originally Posted by happyhammers
Good luck with the move, me and PearlyQueen have just recently moved here, if we can help in anyway we will,all the best!!
From one of the most heavily populated places on Earth to <snip>-nowhere. Ouch! How're you finding it?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 20th 2014 at 5:48 pm. Reason: Rule 2, thx.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

-nowhere

Every where you go is somewhere mate lol, but I know what you mean. London for me was so bloody claustrophobic to have some mass of expanse in front of me is a breadth of fresh air!!

And I love a change, alright its small I agree, but it is what you make it ,and compared to East London no comparison. The OH has just got a job, I'm settling with my new employer and on the hole things are looking rosie.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David3627
From one of the most heavily populated places on Earth to <snip>-nowhere. Ouch! How're you finding it?
Are you in Edmonton north London?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

Please do know that BE is a fantastic resource of people who have all experienced some aspect of another of what you are going through...and survived, and are willing to help and share......very best of luck
Originally Posted by MillieF
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

David3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond repute

-nowhere

Every where you go is somewhere mate lol, but I know what you mean. London for me was so bloody claustrophobic to have some mass of expanse in front of me is a breadth of fresh air!!

And I love a change, alright its small I agree, but it is what you make it ,and compared to East London no comparison. The OH has just got a job, I'm settling with my new employer and on the hole things are looking rosie.
That should've read 'the middle of nowhere'
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

That should've read 'the middle of nowhere'
Keller Lake in the Northwest Territories is the middle of nowhere mate, not sure where your coming from with that.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Keller Lake in the Northwest Territories is the middle of nowhere mate, not sure where your coming from with that.
Any time I drive through Saskatchewan all I see is flat fields and noooooooothing. That's what I mean.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Any time I drive through Saskatchewan all I see is flat fields and noooooooothing. That's what I mean.
Thats why everyone is different, some people see nothing , I see another part of the world
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

During WW2 German prisoners of war were being transported by rail to camps in Alberta and every time a train of war materiel was coming the other way they'd have to go into a side track and let them by so the trip took extra long. After a few days past Winnipeg and not yet through Saskatchewan the prisoners began to speculate and one of the train crew who spoke German overheard them. They thought it possible that the train was being stopped and backed up at night so they were passing the same landscape over and over to confound them and keep their location secret.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:03 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Touché...but of course it would be! Once we have stood together shoulder to shoulder with people who have frozen feet and huge heating bills...it will...of course be different! There is a big BUT though!

It can take a time to adjust, but some do and Never look back....and some don't ....
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caretaker
During WW2 German prisoners of war were being transported by rail to camps in Alberta and every time a train of war materiel was coming the other way they'd have to go into a side track and let them by so the trip took extra long. After a few days past Winnipeg and not yet through Saskatchewan the prisoners began to speculate and one of the train crew who spoke German overheard them. They thought it possible that the train was being stopped and backed up at night so they were passing the same landscape over and over to confound them and keep their location secret.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew into Saskatoon then drove 90mins to North Battleford a couple of weeks ago...yeah i agree with the BTFK, Nowhere comment haha

The only "restaurant" worth eating at was Boston Pizza, highspeed internet was 5mbps and pubs actually sold out of beer for a week at a time

So flat you can watch the dog run away for three days...

Easiest province to draw though!
Old Nov 21st 2014, 7:09 am
Just Joined

littleneedle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys for all the help, you're so lovely! I'd respond in individual quotes but I'm using my work computer on the sly so I'm trying to be swift, haha.

We managed to FINALLY find some decent priced flights, £720 for a round trip so my partner can get out there, get settled, start his job yada yada... then quickly up sticks and come back, haha! We'll be booking the proper, no turning back, get out of England and never come back flights this week.

His boss has set him up at a hotel for the first 2 days which is so lovely! I think we've found a good place for him to crash for 2 weeks on airbnb but we're waiting on them to confirm the booking (my nerves have fallen out of my body and are writhing around on the floor).

So once all our flights are booked (and he's found us a house... so glad there's at least ONE thing I don't have to do!!) we're looking to get my chihuahua out there! With a collection of thermal dog coats, obviously. Is there anywhere you guys would recommend looking for someone who is based up north (Manchester)? I looked at airpets (I think) and it's £750 plus taking the dog to somewhere down south which is sadly not doable. Is it easier to sort it out with the airport directly?

For who was asking about my partners job; he will be working in construction (joiner), he got the job offer at the end of September and his boss has been inviting him to the Christmas Do ever since. It's the day after he lands...he has to wear a suit. Ha ha ha.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 3:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that you are from Bolton but why don't you move somewhere that's better?
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 8:00 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I realise that you are from Bolton but why don't you move somewhere that's better?
Since so many of the arty-farty posers and addicts moved to Vancouver, Sask is actually quite nice now. . Also it's growing and should continue to do so (as long as the resource boom lasts).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.