Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sakatoon in the New Year!

Moving to Sakatoon in the New Year!

Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Jobum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Sakatoon in the New Year!

Hi
Sorry for such a late reply, things were just crazy over the last few months! We are all finally here, we found a property in Evergreen which let us keep our dogs with us but I have to say they were about the only ones! Just now trying to settle in and adjust to Canadian life, any tips?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Also sounds something trivial but can anyone recommend some hairdressers, my boys are desperate for a haircut! 😁
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jobum
Also sounds something trivial but can anyone recommend some hairdressers, my boys are desperate for a haircut!
We use the one in Confed Mall (Magicuts?). Amongst other employees, there's a South African guy there who's very devoted to his craft and has interesting stories to tell. The boys can get a straight razor shave if they need one .

So, can you breathe today? Never seen smoke like this before, could barely see across the river this morning.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

LittleFarm is an unknown quantity at this point

There are Facebook groups for most communities in the city. I just did a quick search using " evergreen Saskatoon" and there's two right away. People use these a lot now to buy and sell stuff, ask questions etc. I'd start there!
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I will check out those groups and the hairdressers! Regarding the smoke, it's crazy I have never experienced anything like it, the sky was a freaky colour! It didn't really bother me but my 6 year old twins are asthmatic and are not having the best of days, so they are just chilling xx
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw the clouds this morning, I thought, 'ooh, maybe we're getting some rain at last'. Then I stuck my head out the door and it smelled like the city was on fire, and I realized it was from the forest fires.

My girlfriend took a face mask to work today to try to filter out the smoke that gets through the A/C there. I'm guessing Canadian Tire will be selling a lot of them!

At least we're supposed to get 5-10mm of rain tonight and tomorrow, that should clear much of it out of the air if that happens.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Is that what people do, wear masks? Does this happen a lot? X
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Littlefarm, do you still do dog boarding and can you recommend a good vets please. Just incase! Xx
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is that what people do, wear masks? Does this happen a lot? X
Smoke from forest fires is common in the summer, but is usually just a faint smoky smell in the air. Smoke like this hasn't happened since I moved here in 2007. Probably just because there's been so little rain this year to put out fires and clean the air.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

So you've been here a while, everyone we have spoke to has said that we won't stay here and will eventually move on? Even the man at immigration! From what I've seen, although I've not done a winter I like it!
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

So you've been here a while, everyone we have spoke to has said that we won't stay here and will eventually move on? Even the man at immigration! From what I've seen, although I've not done a winter I like it!
I think about half our street has moved out since we arrived, but I don't know where they went. Used to be lots of people left Saskatoon because the economy was bad, and small numbers moved in because it was a cheap place to live. Now lots of people move in because the economy is booming, and some move out because they can now make enough selling their house to buy one where they really want to live.

Can't imagine I'll be here forever, but probably a few years yet unless we win the lottery.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

LittleFarm is an unknown quantity at this point

Littlefarm, do you still do dog boarding and can you recommend a good vets please. Just incase! Xx
Yup I have a little pet hotel out in Borden .. Lived in Saskatoon for two yrs then moved out here - the city drives me nuts lol. Been in Canada since 2005 ! I love it in Sask and won't be going anywhere

You might be best picking a vet that's closest to you, in case of emergencies or pick one that's open on Saturdays as that's invaluable (I've learned that all emergencies happen at the weekend lol ) I have a few I like, it's all personal choice - I go to Orchard Vets ( they also offer doggie Chiro which is fantastic) Erindale, or Frontier Vets. I would not recommend the Univeristy Small Animal Clinic as they tend to overhcharge. Also fun for dogs is a place called "Waterpaws" it's an indoor dog swimming pool! We are going this Sunday expensive but my guys love it
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the list of vets, it's always good to know, both dogs are in good health at the moment but are getting older and you never know! Glad you like it here, it's nice to hear positive things about the place for a change. Xx
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LittleFarm
I would not recommend the Univeristy Small Animal Clinic as they tend to overhcharge.
We've used them, and it's a mix: some things are cheaper than commercial vets, some more expensive. They also have emergency cover when other vets may not be open, or too busy to see you... but the emergency cover fees aren't cheap!