Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sakatoon in the New Year!

Moving to Sakatoon in the New Year!

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Jobum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sakatoon in the New Year!

Hi, this is the first time Ive done anything like this so please bare with me!
My husband is moving to Sakatoon at the end of this month, me and the kids will be following on later. We just need some advice on renting a house, renting a car etc until we get settled. Please any advice on the move or related matters would be much appreciated, I'm feeling a little lost abit out of control and now starting to panic. Xx
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:19 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sakatoon in the New Year!

THIS May help
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks will check it out later when the kids are in bed. Just feel like we are in limbo at the moment, took ages for my husbands work permit to arrive & kids school permits as they turned 6 during the process, now we just can't find anywhere to live! We've been looking at Warman as I've spoke to the principal of the school there but problem is we've got 2 dogs & most rentals of a family size are not pet friendly! Any suggestions? Any other areas you can recommend? My husband will be working in Saskatoon. Like I said before any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks Jo
Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Just wanted to let you know Juggernaut have seen you have sent a message unfortunately I can't open it until more people have posted on my thread! Was curious what sort of recruiting you do?
Old Jan 4th 2015, 8:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Oink, have you any pearls of wisdom about my big move!
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jobum
Hi Oink, have you any pearls of wisdom about my big move!
Old Jan 18th 2015, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I moved to Saskatoon 6 years ago with my hubby & 3 children, we've since had a 4th here in toon town
Shoot me any questions you want and Ill try to help you x
Old Jan 18th 2015, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi Roo,
Thanks for replying I appreciate it. Any info would be fab, I know it's gonna be cold & snow! But what is life in general, how are the schools, will I meet friends! My older 2 are of school age but my youngest is 2. How did you find a house? did you rent/buy! I could go on! Xx
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Any info would be fab, I know it's gonna be cold & snow!
It's been around zero the last week, and supposed to be the same for the next. Bit of a strange winter so far.

Then again, I seem to remember I had to turn the car AC on in February last year because it was so hot out, before it went back to -30 again.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
hehehe, your best response ever! lol
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding pets and rentals...

We moved to Ontario, and were looking for a three month rental that would allow pets. Most renters don't want smelly animals in their homes, and why would they, but they are not legally allowed to refuse. So if they know you have pets then they will make up another reason to not give you the rental.

So yes, we lied about having a dog, and the owners found out, but they couldn't chuck us out for it. We made sure the place was clean, and that there was absolutely no damage caused, as they would certainly be able to keep our deposit if there was any damge or cleaning to be done because of the dog.

There are of course places that are impractical to have dogs, like a high rise condo etc, so you need to have a little common sense, and decency.

Other options might be to have friends watch the dogs in the UK till you find a more suitable place, or kennel the dogs for a short time in Canada.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Oh, I meant to say..

It looked like we were going to have to rent a house out-with the catchment area of the school we desired for the kids. I contacted the school by phone and spoke to the principal, informing him that we intended to buy a house as soon as we could within the catchment area.
He was very accomodating, and agreed to allow our kids to attend the school. However, we would need to transport the kids there by ourselves as the school bus would not take a route we could use.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to let you know Juggernaut have seen you have sent a message unfortunately I can't open it until more people have posted on my thread! Was curious what sort of recruiting you do?
I'm in the trucking industry but not here to actually recruit just help with advice if i can.
The company i work for is not immigration/LMIA capable
Old Jan 27th 2015, 2:27 am
Just Joined

LittleFarm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there! I literally just joined up to offer you some help lol! We moved to saskatoon in jan 2005 and now live on a farm just outside the city. If you have any questions just message me too, happy to help I'll ask around about pet friendly rentals as I have some facebook friends who are in that biz. FYI, most rentals have size regulations for dogs - so how much do yours weigh ? If you get stuck I also run a boarding kennel for dogs and cats on my acreage and would be happy to help you out with them!. Warman is a lovely place now it's really grown and has every amenity you'd want. When we arrived in Saskatoon, we just bought a cheapy old car instead of renting one. And for housing, we were in a rental unit for about four weeks until we bought a house. Everything happens very fast once you're here!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.