Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Province and Health Care?

Moving Province and Health Care?

Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving Province and Health Care?

Hi Folks,

If I was to accept a job offer in another province would I have to wait three months in the new province just like I had to in Ontario for health care cover?

Is there any other things I should know about moving from one province to another along the lines of what I have asked above?

Just inquiring as Canada has definitely thrown a few curve balls at me in my short time here. Better measuring twice and cutting once!!

Regards

Alan.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Province and Health Care?

Not sure about the waiting period, but you should be aware that government Health Care Plans certainly differ from province to province with some having more coverage than others.

It is now advised that Canadians travelling to other provinces on holiday BUY travel insurance, just as they should when going to the US, UK or any other "foreign" place.

Last time I checked, travel insurance for us, 2 seniors, going to NS and away from BC for 3 weeks would cost over $400 .......... that was more than we paid for 6 weeks coverage in Australia a few years ago.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Hi Folks,

If I was to accept a job offer in another province would I have to wait three months in the new province just like I had to in Ontario for health care cover?

Is there any other things I should know about moving from one province to another along the lines of what I have asked above?

Just inquiring as Canada has definitely thrown a few curve balls at me in my short time here. Better measuring twice and cutting once!!

Regards

Alan.
Each province is different. They all have information about waiting periods for new residents posted online. E.g for BC

How to Apply - Province of British Columbia
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the healthcare from your current Province will cover you for the waiting period in the Province you are moving to. I suggest you check with your current provider.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I believe that the healthcare from your current Province will cover you for the waiting period in the Province you are moving to. I suggest you check with your current provider.

The current Province will only cover to the extent that they would cover in that province, so if the new province charges more for whatever service, then you will have to pay the extra, or possibly all of the cost.

That is why the recommendation is to take out Traveller's Insurance if travelling within Canada but out of province.

I was amazed at how much such insurance cost!
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank folks.

I will look into it further.

Regards

Farmboy