Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to NS is 50,000k salary enough?

Moving to NS is 50,000k salary enough?

Old May 16th 2017, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NS is 50,000k salary enough?

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Are you bringing your own furniture? It's quite expensive to purchase here
I didn't find that. What I have concluded over the years is that 'top quality' in the UK may cost less than its equivalent here but the lower to middle price stuff I found a little cheaper.

Heat (oil) - $3-$4k a year

Electric - $150 a month

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
- Electricity $350/month summer and $480/month in winter
- Oil heating $120/month we pay the same each month
Another
We have heat pump/air con...everything electric. Equalised payments $264 monthly. Air Con is a must.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Milk is currently at $5.88 but its typically more like $6.99 (2 litres) and bread on a typical deal is around $2 a loaf. Costco has the cheapest milk ($5.19) and meat.
Are you quoting 2% prices? Here in Ottawa, most supermarkets, even Shoppers Drug Mart, have the 3 bags of 2% mile (2 l) m milk for $4.29 and Costco is only marginally cheaper @ $4.25.

In most parts of Canada, rural electricity rates are quite a bit higher than urban rates I assume due to higher distribution costs. Or in Ontario's case the voter base for the ruling party is not in rural Ontario so the provincial government can pass on the costs to those who wouldn't be voting for them anyway.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not having a car in Canada is a world apart from not having a car in the UK....

It does, of course, depend where one is living.

I never drove in the UK, lived 25 minutes walk from Bristol City centre, plenty of local shops, got everywhere on foot, bus or bicycle. Five minutes walk from train station, not far from airport. Just 'single' me.

Almost identical situation here - except it's not Bristol Oh...and I became part of a two plus two family

Pretty good bus service, but it needs to be taxi back home for groceries. But it's not far.

For a family you really need the car to make the most of things but we've done pretty good for the essentials.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:09 pm
Oscar nominated

Medical costs...prescriptions. You need employee coverage.

Failing that you're at the mercy of the province and their various schemes. Sometimes it can work out well, other times not.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Costs of kids activities and equipment for those activities too can be really expensive.

Yes Bristol, it does depend a lot, but I think the public transport in the Hubbard's region of NS is about as good as it is here, which is rubbish if so.
The one time I did take a taxi into Charlottetown the bl**dy thing broke down a fair way from anywhere and I spent the next two hours comforting a sobbing taxi driver by the side of the road on the state of her marriage and her life. I remember thinking I'd been transported into a country music video. I then had to hitchhike the rest of the way. It was a surreal day
Old May 16th 2017, 3:23 pm
Oscar nominated

...I spent the next two hours comforting a sobbing taxi driver by the side of the road on the state of her marriage and her life....
And they say Canadians don't open up.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:27 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Are you quoting 2% prices? Here in Ottawa, most supermarkets, even Shoppers Drug Mart, have the 3 bags of 2% mile (2 l) m milk for $4.29 and Costco is only marginally cheaper @ $4.25.

In most parts of Canada, rural electricity rates are quite a bit higher than urban rates I assume due to higher distribution costs. Or in Ontario's case the voter base for the ruling party is not in rural Ontario so the provincial government can pass on the costs to those who wouldn't be voting for them anyway.
All the same price, 2%, 1% etc.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And they say Canadians don't open up.
No no no no no!!!!!! There is waaaaaaaay too much opening up going on here!!! I thought I was laid back and liberal but there is rarely a day goes by when I don't feel like a horrified prude
Old May 16th 2017, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Bell right now for fibre op internet and all the TV and phone has a 2 year deal for $130 a month but if you prefer you can go with Citywide. Thats $50 a month for internet only or $70 if you have a phone line too. I have friends in Shubenacadie (fairly rural) that run Citywide with 2 ipads and their Android box and its fine.
I am not sure how good Citywide would be in say Maitland (really rural).
Someone starting out in new country on a limited budget should not be considering any sort of rural property. Rent a place near work or near the bus station for the first year so as to have the possibility of living without any car and a good chance of living without two. Ideally rent an apartment so as not to have to worry about heating and electric bills.

After a few months, when it's clear how far apart everything is, how much money there is, and how much one wants to drive in the winter, a better informed choice of property and location can be made.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Someone starting out in new country on a limited budget should not be considering any sort of rural property. Rent a place near work or near the bus station for the first year so as to have the possibility of living without any car and a good chance of living without two. Ideally rent an apartment so as not to have to worry about heating and electric bills.

After a few months, when it's clear how far apart everything is, how much money there is, and how much one wants to drive in the winter, a better informed choice of property and location can be made.

Not forgetting whether your road is ploughed and how much shovelling/snowblowing you'll be doing. Always fun. The diary of a snowshoveller on here is brilliant and always gives me a good laugh. So true too.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:59 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Agreed, and choose a house with a short driveway. That can make or break a person
Old May 16th 2017, 4:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hmm1
Excellent thanks for the advice, its made it feel more doable for us again.
It is good advice. I can't speak to the cost of living in Nova Scotia but I do have a good laugh when I read similar threads about how much you need to live in Vancouver. It is helpful to remember that a "comfortable" living standard to most people means earning a little bit more than they currently do. If you are used to living on $40k a year then $50k is riches beyond compare. If you are used to living on $60k then $50k is abject poverty.

You do need to be realistic though. If your motivation in emigrating is to own a big house, a fully loaded **** off big truck and all the gas powered toys you can fit in a double garage, you will likely struggle. If your motivation is more of an adventure, and you are prepared for a bit of make do and mend while you settle in, it is a very different prospect.

None of us know what you consider an acceptable material standard of living so none of us can say if $x pa or $y pa is doable for you and your family.

BTW, rental prices are mostly inclusive of property tax. This is usually the landlord's responsibility. It is worth confirming that before signing a rental agreement.

BBTW I agree that if you are considering one car living it is much, much easier if your home is close to transit.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

its been 6 years now, so costs will have gone up a little, but I lived in Dartmouth, for 5 years, earned minimum wage for the 1st couple of years and managed to buy a nice property on a mortgage, and live with limited means but it was possible. I ended up at earning a whopping $36k a year and managed to pay the mortgage, run a car, pay all my bills, get out and about. Didn't live to excess but was pretty comfortable, so long as I kept a strict eye on my cash flow; I $50K will give you a similar standard of living.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
its been 6 years now, so costs will have gone up a little, but I lived in Dartmouth, for 5 years, earned minimum wage for the 1st couple of years and managed to buy a nice property on a mortgage, and live with limited means but it was possible. I ended up at earning a whopping $36k a year and managed to pay the mortgage, run a car, pay all my bills, get out and about. Didn't live to excess but was pretty comfortable, so long as I kept a strict eye on my cash flow; I $50K will give you a similar standard of living.
Was that just you though? OP is coming with a family.
Old May 16th 2017, 5:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is good advice. I can't speak to the cost of living in Nova Scotia but I do have a good laugh when I read similar threads about how much you need to live in Vancouver.
I think you need a lot of money in Vancouver. If property costs $1000/sq. ft and you have the modest ambition of buying a small house without a government insured mortgage, you need 225,000 in cash and a household income of better than $400,000. That may not be much to you but it's eight or nine times the numbers needed for Halifax.

If one has lived in Vancouver since before the bubble then one is only looking at the price of fish and that's not much different than anywhere else but I think we can reasonably assume that an immigrant from the UK will hope to buy a house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.