Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:25 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Towzer1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

Hello everyone
I was born in Scotland and moved to Canada when I was 10
I have lived in Toronto since then and my wife and 11 yr old are looking to make a move out east
The thought of being mortgage free entices us so were looking to make a move summer of 2018

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are our target areas
I can work remotely now so either province works and my wife works remotely also so the best of both worlds

We are leaning towards the Rothesay Quispamsis area of NB

Does anyone live in either of these areas of NB ?
How is your lifestyle socially?
What things should we be aware of beside the weather when we make the move?
Are heating costs high for homes that use electric as most of them are on this? Also heard we will pay about 20% more for groceries as well

We are looking at a private school as well and heard Rothesay Netherwood is very good
We also like Halifax but we think that NB maybe a bit less expensive especially after comparing homes in the same price range
Towzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:09 am   #2
cxx 
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 440
cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

I currently live in Moncton. I would prefer to live in Rothesay but not Quispamsis, based on the people I've met who live in those areas. Events seem to happen in one of the main cities and that's seems to be where most people socialise.
Cost of food etc. is high but I don't know how it compares to Toronto having not lived there. The quality of food is poor especially for fruit and veg, and whilst there are a few farm shops for a few weeks in the summer they do not compare to those I've seen in Ontario.
cxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:30 am   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Towzer1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

ok thanks for the reply
Towzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:24 am   #4
Hamster Killer
Premium Member
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 20,584
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

I remain amazed at how anyone can walk around Sobeys and Superstore here and say the quality of fruit and veg is poor.

Unless it's the half price mark downs that go off in about 30 minutes.

Certainly we don't have anything like the St Lawrence and Jean Talon markets in Toronto and Montreal but I don't see the supermarkets as inferior to those I experienced in Montreal for 9 months before moving to Moncton.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:29 am   #5
cxx 
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 440
cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I remain amazed at how anyone can walk around Sobeys and Superstore here and say the quality of fruit and veg is poor.

Unless it's the half price mark downs that go off in about 30 minutes.

Certainly we don't have anything like the St Lawrence and Jean Talon markets in Toronto and Montreal but I don't see the supermarkets as inferior to those I experienced in Montreal for 9 months before moving to Moncton.
It's the salad leaves and spinach which have been frozen and are rotten within a day or two. It's the tomatoes which are soft or mouldy the day after you buy them. It's the carrots or potatoes which are soft and tasteless within a few days of purchase. All bought full price from Sobeys or Superstore with the longest possible use by date on a regular basis in the hope that they'll survive more than a few hours.
cxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:48 am   #6
Hamster Killer
Premium Member
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 20,584
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxx View Post
It's the salad leaves and spinach which have been frozen and are rotten within a day or two. It's the tomatoes which are soft or mouldy the day after you buy them. It's the carrots or potatoes which are soft and tasteless within a few days of purchase. All bought full price from Sobeys or Superstore with the longest possible use by date on a regular basis in the hope that they'll survive more than a few hours.
Still amazed then. A recent offer - not a date nearing one - was two 10lb bags of spuds for $5. They lasted us well over two weeks. I've often taken that offer for the reason they have lasted. Last Friday I finished a bag of carrots from the previous week.

Strawberries and raspberries from 3000 miles away have sometimes gone a bit fungusy (if that's a word) two days later but who has any of those left on the third day?

I often buy the half price mushrooms - but never anything else as mentioned above - and they're good for 3 or 4 days. At worst I might peel them after a few days.

Tomatoes? We have them coming out of our ears as my stop daughter grows some as well. They stay fresh enough.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:15 pm   #7
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,694
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Still amazed then. A recent offer - not a date nearing one - was two 10lb bags of spuds for $5. They lasted us well over two weeks. I've often taken that offer for the reason they have lasted. Last Friday I finished a bag of carrots from the previous week.

Strawberries and raspberries from 3000 miles away have sometimes gone a bit fungusy (if that's a word) two days later but who has any of those left on the third day?

I often buy the half price mushrooms - but never anything else as mentioned above - and they're good for 3 or 4 days. At worst I might peel them after a few days.

Tomatoes? We have them coming out of our ears as my stop daughter grows some as well. They stay fresh enough.
agreed, the only items that I ever notice that go off quickly are raspberries and the odd strawberry in the pack. The rest lasts all week, especially kale. That sucker goes on and on
__________________
From SE England to the Maritimes
http://bridgesfreezefirst-natasha.blogspot.ca/
Howefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th 2017, 5:23 pm   #8
Bon Vivant
Premium Member
 
Simon Legree's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia/Arizona
Posts: 2,949
Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to New Brunswick - Saint John area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
agreed, the only items that I ever notice that go off quickly are raspberries and the odd strawberry in the pack. The rest lasts all week, especially kale. That sucker goes on and on
The best way to deal with and get rid of kale is to dress it liberally with coconut oil. It slides off the plate into the garbage much quicker !
__________________
Don't wait for tomorrow to bring you your dreams 'cos by the time you get there they're gone.
Simon Legree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 8:15 am.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com