Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving my moolah to Canada

Moving my moolah to Canada

Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving my moolah to Canada

I need to transfer my money over to Canada. I would have thought the best way to do this is to open a Canadian bank account now, and transfer the money electronically. I would imagine I would have to then complete the account opening process on arrival. Is this correct?

Although I have read that several Canadian banks allow the opening of accounts by non-residents, they do not appear to make this easy. TD Canada and Scotiabank have no online facility, and although RBC claims it can be done, when you are filling in the online forms it requires that you provide details of 2 forms of Canadian ID - which obviously I don't have as I am not resident!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield (UK) -> Kitchener (Canada) -> Perth (Aus)
DimWit17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving my moolah to Canada

Originally Posted by uprightdog
I need to transfer my money over to Canada. I would have thought the best way to do this is to open a Canadian bank account now, and transfer the money electronically. I would imagine I would have to then complete the account opening process on arrival. Is this correct?

Although I have read that several Canadian banks allow the opening of accounts by non-residents, they do not appear to make this easy. TD Canada and Scotiabank have no online facility, and although RBC claims it can be done, when you are filling in the online forms it requires that you provide details of 2 forms of Canadian ID - which obviously I don't have as I am not resident!
Why dont you just bring a bank draft along when you move to Canada
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

This topic comes up almost daily in this forum so a quick search will reveal a lot of discussion on the subject (and there's probably loads in the Expats Wiki).

Briefly, you can open HSBC Canada accounts from the UK if you bank with them here - there are probably some other Canadian banks you can open accounts with remotely. Most Canadian banks will allow you to open accounts in person as a non-resident (if you were going on a recce trip, for instance).

A lot of people use currency brokers like Moneycorp and HIFX to transfer funds, you generally get better rates than from your bank and can barter to improve the deal. You don't need a Canadian account to receive funds at the time you exchange the currency (although you should be in the process of getting one) as the broker will hold funds for you in the target currency (although obviously you miss out on interest doing that).

Cheers, Iain
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point

I will only be transferring around 5K. How about PayPal?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

MiddleOfNowhere is a jewel in the roughMiddleOfNowhere is a jewel in the roughMiddleOfNowhere is a jewel in the roughMiddleOfNowhere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by uprightdog
I will only be transferring around 5K. How about PayPal?
Hi

Paypal is a pretty expensive solution.

I am in the process of opening an RBC account. They have sent the forms via email.

I will post back a notarised copy of my passport and also of my signature. The forms state that they should be notarised by an embassy official. I queried this with the bank and they say that the rules have now changed and so a solicitor can notarise.

Cheers Steve
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:03 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

If you're only transferring around 5K why not just get it in cash and take it over with you and then pay it in when opening an account.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:40 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
If you're only transferring around 5K why not just get it in cash and take it over with you and then pay it in when opening an account.
I saw a thing in the Telegraph today about new rules concerning taking large wads of cash out of the country. Worth bearing in mind.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

You are supposed to declare when you are bringing in more that $10,000 (so depending on the way the wonderful exchange rate is going!!) - you might only be just above that anyway. However, changing up £5k at your local bank, rather that HIFX or similar, may still not give you such a favourable rate. But £5k is certainly carry-on luggage
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
You are supposed to declare when you are bringing in more that $10,000 (so depending on the way the wonderful exchange rate is going!!) - you might only be just above that anyway. However, changing up £5k at your local bank, rather that HIFX or similar, may still not give you such a favourable rate. But £5k is certainly carry-on luggage
The article I mentioned refers to taking money out of the UK, not bringing it in to Canada.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The article I mentioned refers to taking money out of the UK, not bringing it in to Canada.
In which case the UK is only implementing the same rules that Canada, Australia and the U.S. have.

No restrictions on capital movements, no restrictions on cash movements - but a requirement to declare large amounts of cash on entry and exit so it can be monitored.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
In which case the UK is only implementing the same rules that Canada, Australia and the U.S. have.

No restrictions on capital movements, no restrictions on cash movements - but a requirement to declare large amounts of cash on entry and exit so it can be monitored.
I wonder if anyone else on here remembers when you could only take 50 pounds a year out of the country?

Ah, the happy days before Maggie.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I wonder if anyone else on here remembers when you could only take 50 pounds a year out of the country?

Ah, the happy days before Maggie.
Abolition of exchange controls was one of the first acts of the 1979 Conservative Government.

At the time it was a radical step. In 1979 only a few countries allowed free movement of capital - notably West Germany, Switzerland and the United States.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Abolition of exchange controls was one of the first acts of the 1979 Conservative Government.

At the time it was a radical step. In 1979 only a few countries allowed free movement of capital - notably West Germany, Switzerland and the United States.
Well, that's one who remembers.

In Australia of all places.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well, that's one who remembers.

In Australia of all places.
I remember it.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

i dont remember it but i have youth as my excuse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.