Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

Old May 18th 2015, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Red Deer Express - Siblings of boy killed in crash testify - Mobile Edition

Drunk driver who orphaned five Red Deer kids granted parole | Home | Toronto Sun

Red Deer Advocate - Day parole for Lacombe driver who killed two teens

Teen killed in hit and run was turning life around

As you can see it's not the teens doing the drunk driving and the penalties are pathetic for causing death while driving. All of the above are either personally known to me or my daughter my daughter had met or hung out with all the kids involved.

My apologies it was 6 not 7 suicides...Red Deer Advocate - Breaking the silence about suicide

I'm just glad my kid has survived high school with the help of counsellors and doctors. It's been a bit of a ride and one I think we could have escaped in the UK as there was more familiarity of how things work. The High school system here is so confusing having never been through it. I'm thankful I only have the one kid here. My Stepson (in the UK)seems to have had a much easier teen to adulthood journey and hasn't been to funerals because kids have died through suicide or drunk drivers.

Actually thinking about it and looking at the above, it's pretty horrendous.

Sadly, drunk driving and suicide happen everywhere. Those issues are hardly unique to Red Deer, Alberta, or Canada as a whole.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Statistically, you're more likely to die from Alcohol, Violence, Suicide, and Road Traffic Accident in Canada than you are in the UK.

According to this there are more deaths from drunk driving in the UK than in Canada:

http://resources.prev.org/documents/FittoDrive.pdf

According to data from the WHO the suicide rate is higher in the UK than in Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Here is some info on crime in Canada and the UK:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...-Kingdom/Crime

You're also statistically more likely to be a worse driver in Canada
Define 'worse driver' and show some proof.

Last edited by colchar; May 18th 2015 at 5:13 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorry1

No teen drinking in Canada, really?
Who said that? And teens drink everywhere in the western world. Are you trying to claim that there is no teen drinking in the UK?

Yes, drugs are huge too.
As they are in the UK.

http://www.unodc.org/documents/wdr/W...and_Trends.pdf

High school education; barely. So many kids drop out.
According to the info below Canada's dropout rate is only 1.2% higher than the dropout rate in the UK:

Learning to Know: High-school dropout rate | Composite Learning Index | CLI

School security use to scare me. No fences or gates, just walk in and accross school property as you wish.
Scary; my ex boss dropped her 4 year old to elementary late one day. They walked in, down the hall, up the stairs and into the classrrom and nobody saw or stopped them.
Should we be as stupidly paranoid as people in Britain seem to be?

Facebook gossip causes storm in Troon and Prestwick over an alleged "paedophile" - who was an Indian tourist sending seaside snaps home to his family - Daily Record

Teen pregnancies; huge! sitting outside the high school to collect daughter watching how many girls walked out pregnant. One of her friends younger sisters had a baby at 15. Her 3 best friends all have babies now and quite a few more are pregnant or have kids. One of them has 2 kids!

I guess there is nothing else to do.
I am just thankful I am not a grandmoher right now.[/quote]

You might want to look at the relevant statistics for Canada and the UK (see page #4):

http://www.beststart.org/events/deta.../PC1_mckay.pdf

One friend of hers who I knew of, use to cut her wrists and there were others.
And self harm doesn't happen in the UK?

Drink driving; yes, another acceptable social activity. I often went to parties where people got rat arsed and then thought nothing of getting in their car and driving home after.
Drunk driving happens everywhere.

Nobody is saying that Canada is perfect or is not without problems, but there is a ridiculous amount of misinformation being spouted in this thread that can be clarified with a simple two second search.

Last edited by colchar; May 18th 2015 at 5:29 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:27 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I am saying that one of two things happened with regards to the self harm issue.

1) You were fed a load by those kids and you swallowed it whole.

2) The kids misunderstood what they were taught in school and you accepted their version without questioning it. In other words, they were taught that 'some people self harm as a means of relieving stress' and they understood it as 'you should self harm as a means of relieving stress'.

It is not encouraged as a form of stress relief. Here is info from the Alberta Teacher's Association (see page #14):

http://www.teachers.ab.ca/SiteCollec...20COOR-79e.pdf

So it was just like very other high school in the western world then?

That is not exclusive to Canada as there are ignorant morons everywhere who drink and drive.

Yeah, like there aren't teen pregnancies in Britain. Teen pregnancy is an issue everyhwere.
In regards to the self harm issue - my friend, whose son was in the same high school that my daughter went to, told me this before my daughter went. I didn't believe her, she also told me about alcohol consumption. I didn't believe her. My daughter self harmed, during counselling it became apparent this was a very big problem.

If you look at the links I posted you will see that it is people beyond school age drink driving, and that the penalties are laughable. As for the suicides 6 in one year across the school authorities is a shameful stat. And I am well aware teen pregnancies happen the world over, I was just commenting that it seemed to be a badge of honour to have avoided it. BTW if a teen is pregnant the school will assist in the teen getting advice on termination without telling the parents.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:29 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The rates for teen pregnancy is far higher in the UK though, 54 per thousand for the UK - 28 per thousand in Canada. (up to 2010)

http://www.sieccan.org/pdf/TeenPregancy.pdf

I think each country has it's pro's and con's for kids and a lot depends on the kids themselves, they may have done the same things where ever they lived.
I was just highlighting that some people may move to Canada as they think their child won't become a teen parent because everything is so much better here - it still happens.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

According to this there are more deaths from drunk driving in the UK than in Canada:

http://resources.prev.org/documents/FittoDrive.pdf

According to data from the WHO the suicide rate is higher in the UK than in Canada:

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is some info on crime in Canada and the UK:

Canada vs United Kingdom Crime Stats Compared

Define 'worse driver' and show some proof.
More deaths? Of course there are as there are more people in the UK. You need to find recent data showing death rate, or deaths due to drunk driving rate.

The link you gave shows that

"Since 1999, the percent of fatally injured drivers with positive BACs has fluctuated between 35% and 38% 10. ". That's for Canada. It later goes on to say that the same percentage for GB is 20%. That's less isn't it.

Find something recent comparing like for like. Plus look at it on a provincial level as week as on a UK country and region level.
Old May 18th 2015, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

In regards to the self harm issue - my friend, whose son was in the same high school that my daughter went to, told me this before my daughter went. I didn't believe her, she also told me about alcohol consumption. I didn't believe her. My daughter self harmed, during counselling it became apparent this was a very big problem.
I am not saying it isn't a problem. What I am saying is that they are not encouraged to do so, as you claimed, and that it is a problem everywhere.

If you look at the links I posted you will see that it is people beyond school age drink driving, and that the penalties are laughable.
And I have said that drunk driving is a problem everywhere.

As for the suicides 6 in one year across the school authorities is a shameful stat.
Sadly, suicides happen everywhere.

And I am well aware teen pregnancies happen the world over, I was just commenting that it seemed to be a badge of honour to have avoided it.
For some in the UK it seems to be a badge of honour to have accomplished it!

BTW if a teen is pregnant the school will assist in the teen getting advice on termination without telling the parents.

And what happens in the UK?
Old May 18th 2015, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I think each country has it's pro's and con's for kids and a lot depends on the kids themselves, they may have done the same things where ever they lived.
Exactly. Plus good direction, good teachings and a bit of luck!!

Note to self, and a slap on the wrist for starting this type of topic lol

Last edited by Roberto1980; May 18th 2015 at 6:14 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:12 pm

I am not saying it isn't a problem. What I am saying is that they are not encouraged to do so, as you claimed, and that it is a problem everywhere.

And I have said that drunk driving is a problem everywhere.

Sadly, suicides happen everywhere.

For some in the UK it seems to be a badge of honour to have accomplished it!

And what happens in the UK?

Self harming is not encouraged by the teachers, it's taught to the younger kids by the older kids as a stress relief and unfortunately as it's not spoken about it's a cycle that keeps happening and until you have a kid in that school no one talks about as it's swept under the carpet.

Yes drunk driving happens everywhere I do not dispute that, but the penalties here are terrible, a couple of years for taking lives or not even that in some cases, just months and then parole, it's like the UK in the 60's.

And yes suicides happen everywhere, I also do not dispute that, but 6 in one year in a city of less than 100k in the same age group is not something you hear about often.

Now the OP wanted to know if moving for the kids was all it was cracked up to be, I've said no and highlighted my reasons why, it's the same old shit in a slightly shinier bucket, with the same problems that are better hidden as there are not the tabloids to harp on about the problems, they like to keep their shit covered with a nice smelling blanket. Now you can carry on thinking your bucket is shinier than everyone elses and possibly it is, or possibly you have been lucky, or possibly you are an Ostrich.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I keep hearing the term 'self harm' in media everywhere, and tbh, am not entirely sure what it entails. Is it one thing (like cuts) or is it a range of behaviours. Sorry to raise the point directly, but in the context of teenagers I am not quite sure what is meant?

It's very troubling when any child/teen anywhere feels they need to act in this way.
Old May 18th 2015, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

I am saying that one of two things happened with regards to the self harm issue.

1) You were fed a load by those kids and you swallowed it whole.

2) The kids misunderstood what they were taught in school and you accepted their version without questioning it. In other words, they were taught that 'some people self harm as a means of relieving stress' and they understood it as 'you should self harm as a means of relieving stress'.
Someone obviously feels the need to be the defender of Canada. Oh please. Don't invalidate her experiences, and judging by the dominance of the themes mentioned here, this is not an isolated event and the standards here may be lacking.
Old May 18th 2015, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
More deaths? Of course there are as there are more people in the UK. You need to find recent data showing death rate, or deaths due to drunk driving rate.
Yep...
Old May 18th 2015, 8:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

the thing is colchar in Piff's part of Canada this IS an issue. Stop trying to minimise her experiences by comparing the whole of Canada to the whole of the UK.

No one is saying the UK is better. All people are saying is Canada ain't no utopia for parents of teenagers, which is TRUE.

I haven't heard of the self-harming thing or drunk driving here but i'm in a big city, relatively speaking, and most kids around here take transit and smoke pot. Also, culturally it's not acceptable here and many immigrants don't have the same binge drinking culture so that changes things. I suspect it's very different where Piff is. That doesn't mean one of us is lying, just that there are different issues depending on where you are. It doesn't surprise me at all that she's having these issues where she is.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Self harming is not encouraged by the teachers, it's taught to the younger kids by the older kids as a stress relief and unfortunately as it's not spoken about it's a cycle that keeps happening and until you have a kid in that school no one talks about as it's swept under the carpet.

Well that is completely different. Your original comment was "self harming is suggested amongst teens in high school as a stress relief" which made it sound as if it was coming from some official source (ie. teachers). But of course kids are going to tell each other stupid crap, that is what kids do and have been doing forever.

You told the OP that they shouldn't move for the kids, that it wasn't worth it, and then listed reasons why. None of those reasons are unique to Red Deer, Alberta, or Canada as a whole as they happen everywhere. Do you not think that kids tell each other stupid crap in the UK too?

And shouldn't the kids have enough brains to ignore stupid crap? When I was a teenager if someone had suggested to me that I cut myself to relieve stress I would have told them to bugger off. If a kid is foolish enough to follow stupid advice like that there is a bigger issue with that kid as ny kid with common sense will ignore it.

Yes drunk driving happens everywhere I do not dispute that, but the penalties here are terrible, a couple of years for taking lives or not even that in some cases, just months and then parole, it's like the UK in the 60's.

Have you paid any attention to how ridiculous the UK justice system has become lately and how many people get heavy sentences for small, stupid crimes while those who commit worse crimes get light sentences? I've never heard of a Canadian judge praising a burglar for being brave, but that happened in the UK:

Probe into judge who praised burglar's 'courage' - BBC News

And yes suicides happen everywhere, I also do not dispute that, but 6 in one year in a city of less than 100k in the same age group is not something you hear about often.
No, you do not hear of that often and it was obviously a bad year - but it is also a statistical anomaly.

Now the OP wanted to know if moving for the kids was all it was cracked up to be, I've said no and highlighted my reasons why

And those reasons were wrong. First of all, the issues are nowhere near as widespread as you make them out to be. Second, those issues aren't unique to Canada as they also exist in the UK and other western countries. You are arguing that the OP should not move here because of those issues but one could just as easily argue that they should not stay in the UK because of those issues!

it's the same old shit in a slightly shinier bucket, with the same problems that are better hidden as there are not the tabloids to harp on about the problems, they like to keep their shit covered with a nice smelling blanket.

While we do not have the gutter press that exists in Britain, we do have tabloids as well.

Now you can carry on thinking your bucket is shinier than everyone elses and possibly it is, or possibly you have been lucky, or possibly you are an Ostrich.

Or it is possible that you are paranoid and are sensationalizing things.

I never once claimed that Canada was perfect, that it was without its problems, or that those issues didn't exist here. But you made it sound as if those issues are widespread, that it would be detrimental to bring/raise kids here, and advised the Op not to come. You were wrong - own it.
Old May 18th 2015, 10:28 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The binge drinking in the UK thing wears thin.

Binge drinking in decline among young adults - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

The Youth of Britain are cleaning up their act and their North American cousins could learn a lot from their self awareness and maturity levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.