Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

Old May 17th 2015, 7:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

Red Deer Express - Siblings of boy killed in crash testify - Mobile Edition

Drunk driver who orphaned five Red Deer kids granted parole | Home | Toronto Sun

Red Deer Advocate - Day parole for Lacombe driver who killed two teens

Teen killed in hit and run was turning life around

As you can see it's not the teens doing the drunk driving and the penalties are pathetic for causing death while driving. All of the above are either personally known to me or my daughter my daughter had met or hung out with all the kids involved.

My apologies it was 6 not 7 suicides...Red Deer Advocate - Breaking the silence about suicide

I'm just glad my kid has survived high school with the help of counsellors and doctors. It's been a bit of a ride and one I think we could have escaped in the UK as there was more familiarity of how things work. The High school system here is so confusing having never been through it. I'm thankful I only have the one kid here. My Stepson (in the UK)seems to have had a much easier teen to adulthood journey and hasn't been to funerals because kids have died through suicide or drunk drivers.

Actually thinking about it and looking at the above, it's pretty horrendous.
Old May 17th 2015, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Red Deer Express - Siblings of boy killed in crash testify - Mobile Edition

Drunk driver who orphaned five Red Deer kids granted parole | Home | Toronto Sun

Red Deer Advocate - Day parole for Lacombe driver who killed two teens

Teen killed in hit and run was turning life around

As you can see it's not the teens doing the drunk driving and the penalties are pathetic for causing death while driving. All of the above are either personally known to me or my daughter my daughter had met or hung out with all the kids involved.

My apologies it was 6 not 7 suicides...Red Deer Advocate - Breaking the silence about suicide

I'm just glad my kid has survived high school with the help of counsellors and doctors. It's been a bit of a ride and one I think we could have escaped in the UK as there was more familiarity of how things work. The High school system here is so confusing having never been through it. I'm thankful I only have the one kid here. My Stepson (in the UK)seems to have had a much easier teen to adulthood journey and hasn't been to funerals because kids have died through suicide or drunk drivers.

Actually thinking about it and looking at the above, it's pretty horrendous.
You are right, that really is horrendous. Thankfully, my sons' experiences have been nothing like this, and I would say their experience in Canada has been similar to your stepson in the UK. As with most things we discuss on here, there is no clear answer, some have good experiences and some do not.
Old May 17th 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I did not immigrate to Canada directly from the UK. I did not immigrate "for the kids".

Having said that: mine were very small when I came here; from comparing notes with family & friends back in the UK, it's all much of a muchness.

Alcohol & drugs? Just as much a problem here as they would have been back "home". Marginally less violence.

I'm with the poster who prefers polite stoners to possible drunks

My "kids" are generally happy here; if we'd stayed in Europe/UK, they would have had a similar upbringing & experiences, Canada added snow (& related sports), bears & lots of space .
Old May 17th 2015, 8:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Statistically, you're more likely to die from Alcohol, Violence, Suicide, and Road Traffic Accident in Canada than you are in the UK.

You're also statistically more likely to be a worse driver in Canada, and be in more debt.

On the plus side, Canada can offer cheap, easy, and quick access to a wider range of diverse travel destinations such as Prince George, 100 mile house, Bellingham, and Detroit.
Old May 17th 2015, 8:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Piff Poff ................

do you have graduated licenses for new drivers?

I can tell you that the incidence of drunk driving, especially at graduation time, has been much reduced here in BC. The combined effects of constant road blocks which can now be set up all year round if the police wish, not just at Christmas and New, and the graduated license.

Yes, it does happen, but the frequency is way down.

Suicides in high school happen everywhere ....... event in the UK ....... and a lot of it is due to stress imposed by parents and society.

I'm sure that drunk driving happens at about the same rate in the UK, from what I read and hear on the news!

I no longer have a child in the Vancouver school system, but I do keep my eyes adn ears open.

The largest number of teens in trouble here are First Nations ......... and I am not about to get into why that is!

Go upcountry, and you get the louts and the rednecks, and the ones who think drinking and driving is fine ............. but they are now by far at the older end of the spectrum. I'm always very impressed with the attitude of the teenagers when we go to the small towns and villages further north.

I do think that you have had a pretty unusual experience .......... one that I might have expected in Surrey 10 or 15 years ago, or maybe in Winnipeg in schools with high numbers of First Nations students.
We live in a rural area. Drink driving or their tolerance of what I or my peers back home would have described as drink driving is very different, and locals consume way more alcohol and drive than is right.
Old May 17th 2015, 10:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Statistically, you're more likely to die from Alcohol, Violence, Suicide, and Road Traffic Accident in Canada than you are in the UK.

You're also statistically more likely to be a worse driver in Canada, and be in more debt.

On the plus side, Canada can offer cheap, easy, and quick access to a wider range of diverse travel destinations such as Prince George, 100 mile house, Bellingham, and Detroit.
You're 20 times more likely to be murdered in Vancouver than London but that's probably because you don't live in London.
Old May 17th 2015, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

I've always dreamt of going to Detroit! Now I'm in ON I can make my dream come true!
Old May 17th 2015, 11:55 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
do you have graduated licenses for new drivers?

I can tell you that the incidence of drunk driving, especially at graduation time, has been much reduced here in BC. The combined effects of constant road blocks which can now be set up all year round if the police wish, not just at Christmas and New, and the graduated license.

Yes, it does happen, but the frequency is way down.

Go upcountry, and you get the louts and the rednecks, and the ones who think drinking and driving is fine ............. but they are now by far at the older end of the spectrum. I'm always very impressed with the attitude of the teenagers when we go to the small towns and villages further north.

I've seen one road block (New Years) in 12 years - they're not exactly 'constant' in the interior here. Drunk/stoned driving appears to be quite normal from some of the behaviour I've witnessed. Late teens/twenty somethings are as culpable as older adults.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:21 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Don't you ever get tired of being such a dick?
No. But if I go to Hooters two nights in a row then the third night I'm usually in bed by 11.

Did you grow up in Canada?

Last edited by JamesM; May 18th 2015 at 12:30 am.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:25 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You're 20 times more likely to be murdered in Vancouver than London but that's probably because you don't live in London.
This happened by my local pub in the early hours of yesterday.

A suspected drug deal issue:

Shots fired near Spadina & Fort York - CityNews

Several high profile shootings around here in the last couple of years.

It's alright though as the Police are busy investigating sport fans shouting abuse at journalists so we take the rough with the smooth.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is really starting to frighten me!

My perception is that my teenagers are safer here (in North Van) than in East London (except for the bears and cougars). Maybe I need to rethink that ...

S
Old May 18th 2015, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snowy560

My perception is that my teenagers are safer here (in North Van) than in East London (except for the bears and cougars). Maybe I need to rethink that ...

S
It has been an ambition of mine too actually see a real bear and a Moose when I am in Canada.
So far, I have seen a black squirrel!
Old May 18th 2015, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Well a cougar was shot near us recently:

'Threatening' cougar shot and killed near West Vancouver mall | CTV Vancouver News

and there is a big notice about avcougar sighting on one of trails near us. It might be the same cougar, but I think they think there's more than one (which seems likely: there can't just be one).

I see lots of black squirrels and a raccoon family. In London it was foxes.

Actually it does worry me that there seems to be no security in the schools near here (anyone can just walk in, including a bear).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; May 18th 2015 at 2:10 am.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:09 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I heard the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver is the most drug infested place in the Western world. People sleep in shopping trolleys and everything.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:10 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Snowy560

S
They'd be safer in Wetwang. Less rain there too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.