Reload this Page >

Moving to Kamloops!

Moving to Kamloops!

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

kathrynbaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Kamloops!

Hello!
We are moving to Kamloops in August. My husband has a job & is coming first. Myself & our 2 children, girls 7 & 9, are coming in the first week of September.
We would like some advice. Where would the best place be to live in kamloops with a young family? We will need to rent to begin with, until our house sells in England.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Kath
Old Jul 24th 2014, 5:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kamloops!

Originally Posted by kathrynbaker
Hello!
We are moving to Kamloops in August. My husband has a job & is coming first. Myself & our 2 children, girls 7 & 9, are coming in the first week of September.
We would like some advice. Where would the best place be to live in kamloops with a young family? We will need to rent to begin with, until our house sells in England.

Kath
Welcome to BE!

I moved your post to the main Canada forum as it's not immigration related.

I'm sure that other members will be able to guide you, but you could also do a quick search of the forum (go to advanced search) as I am pretty sure there are other posts on the area.

Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:27 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Hello!

Kath
Hi Kathryn, and welcome to BE!

We have just moved from Kamloops to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, but I will try and give you some info on Kamloops.

We(myself, my wife and 3 kids aged 16, 14 & 2) were living in Juniper which is about 5 km east of downtown Kamloops. It is a great neighbourhood for families, we had some fab neighbours and there is a really good elementary school too (Juniper Ridge Elementary). I know that there a quite a few houses up there for sale but not sure on the rental opportunities.

Aberdeen, Dufferin and Upper Sahali are also nice areas with some good schools.

What kind of work is your husband going to be doing? Where he is working may also help to influence where you decide to settle in Kamloops.

Not sure if you're aware, but there is a good website you can use to find properties both for sale and to rent. Look up Home and you can then search all properties listed. It's a great site and certainly helped us find our new house here in Nanaimo.

Hope this helps for now...

Rory :-)
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leggy969
Hi Kathryn, and welcome to BE!

We have just moved from Kamloops to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, but I will try and give you some info on Kamloops.

We(myself, my wife and 3 kids aged 16, 14 & 2) were living in Juniper which is about 5 km east of downtown Kamloops. It is a great neighbourhood for families, we had some fab neighbours and there is a really good elementary school too (Juniper Ridge Elementary). I know that there a quite a few houses up there for sale but not sure on the rental opportunities.

Aberdeen, Dufferin and Upper Sahali are also nice areas with some good schools.

What kind of work is your husband going to be doing? Where he is working may also help to influence where you decide to settle in Kamloops.
I agree with Rory's comments (I lived in Barnhartvale on the east side of town for close to 10 years - that's an area of small to medium sized acreages and worth a look if you want a more rural feel and space).

Rose Hill is a small community 10 minutes from downtown that's pretty and characterful and worth a look, though it's unlikely you'll find a rental there. If you like river frontage/access, then consider the Dallas area.

Unless you're commuting out of town (perhaps to one of the mines), it barely matters where you live. Rush hour isn't bad at all - I commuted 28kms in a little over 20 minutes, so you can choose a community that suits your taste and budget.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Kamloops!

Thank you so much for your prompt replies, really appreciate it. :-)
Hubby still at work at the moment, so can't put where he is actually working as unsure! Will post as soon as he's back.
His job is hgv mechanic.
The places you have both mentioned are where we had been looking, so that's good. We had hoped to have sold our house by now as wanted to buy straight away, so a bit disappointed we will have to rent.
I would really like to walk the children to school each day, so I can get to know some other people straight away. Where might this be possible & do parents do this?
I have been a teacher for 17 years so am hoping something may come up for me in that line of work, eventually!

Thank you for now!

Kath
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi again!
Hubby home now. He will be working just about 5km west of Kamloops.

Look forward to reading any replies!

Kath
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:02 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again!
Hubby home now. He will be working just about 5km west of Kamloops.

Look forward to reading any replies!

Kath
Aberdeen, Dufferin and Upper Sahali will be the closest suburbs, Juniper a little further, but still within a 20 minute commute. Nowhere east to west in Kamloops is more than 30 minutes drive.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

sarah & andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,we have just moved to Kamloops after living in Alberta for seven years.We are currently renting in Whitecroft which is about 50mins out of town, as we too are needing to rent until our house sells.Kijiji has lots of rentals on daily with links to professional rental companies.When we sell we want to live in Aberdeen/Sahali area.My family,me,hubby 2 girls (14 and 9) are loving it here it's georgeous and a great place to bring up a family,so pleased we took the plunge.The teachers in Kamloops are locked out on a labour dispute so not sure what is going to happen in September,will be interesting,the kids don't mind as they have had an extra 2 week vacation this summer.Would be happy to welcome you and family when you arrive,my hubby is a truck driver !!!Feel free to pm me Sarah x

Last edited by sarah & andy; Jul 25th 2014 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Marie006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Kamloops Sarah, that didn't take too long. I hope you'll be very happy here, it certainly is a great place to bring up kids, the weather helps aswell!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi Marie
Been here two weeks now and just loving it,have been made to feel very welcome at work and am beginning to find my way around.Still in the process of converting all the bits and pieces to BC, and praying my house sells soon so we can settle into a place of our own.....how is life with you???
Sarah
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Hi Sarah, all is good thanks, my daughter has bit her first job working in La Senza as we now have residency, hubby is now working in Vancouver so will be home more often and we've booked a holiday to Vegas next month, can't believe how cheap it is from here, also bought a new car, a house is next on the list. Enjoying the weather and laid back lifestyle. Good to hear you've settled into your new job so quickly that's huge. After a month or two you'll find your way round it's not that big of a place really. If I can help in any way, just ask away. Maria
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:00 am
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by sarah & andy
We are currently renting in Whitecroft....
You're virtually a neighbour. Pop into Tod Mountain Cafe sometime and say hello.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:52 am
Just Joined

We will do that Rich! Where's Tod Mountain Cafe?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Just googled it, Sun Peaks! Yes we'll do that, love Sun Peaks.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Will do Rich,I love Sun Peaks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.