Reload this Page >

Moving to TO in January. Few Q's

Moving to TO in January. Few Q's

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

gubby07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to TO in January. Few Q's

Hi All,

Been reading for a while and have read some very helpful advice on here so thank you.

I'm 27, single and moving out with work (Financial Services) to head up the new Canada office in Toronto and have a few questions for you!
I was born in Canada so will be using my Canadian passport which I have to renew - Is it better to renew before I come? I've seen it's hard getting an ETA and I don't want to be stopped at the airport entering Canada!

Will be coming out on a $160,000 CAD salary + bonuses and have read a lot about the difficulty of getting credit cards with Canadian banks - Is it salary dependent or am I likely to be rejected for an unsecured CC regardless?

Where would someone of my age likely live in TO? It will be a Bay St, King St office so ideally not too far away transport wise? I've read about Liberty Village, King St W - Where else would you recommend? Up to c.$3,000 a month I'd be looking at spending - That likely to be a decent 2 bed in those areas or do I need to change my expectations? Have heard it's as bad as London where I'm currently based! I'm Manchester raised so London prices were a shock to me initially!

With regards to my SIN, do I just take my soon to be renewed Canadian passport to the designated office when I'm over in 6 weeks or so and get one there and then?

Thanks again in advance - Extremely helpful site.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to TO in January. Few Q's

You should travel on your Canadian passport.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, will get it done before going in 2 months then. If they can do it that fast!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

UPSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck with the move!

I think you need to have a valid Canadian passport to enter - have a quick google or look at CIC website,

Banks will give you a credit card as you are earning income so it will not need to be secure but the limit maybe frustrating - however you may not have any issues being a citizen.
You can get a sin at the airport but it can be busy best thing is to go to city hall while your here its less busy they try get you in and out in 20 mins.

Your salary will be fine for Toronto, We Work at king/bay too and live on the waterfront (Queens Quay) you can get a nice apartment under your 3000. have a look at the waterfront or city place, these are 5 mins walk from your work so walking to work is an option and no issue with the snow or TTC plus great views of the city,and lake.
Always loads going on in this area too.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

@UPSY

Thank you for that - The credit card did worry me as I've read that my AMEX won't be accepted in a lot of places - Can always use a British CC for a short while whilst I build the limit up, and take the hit on the fees, although they weren't too bad when I used the card in Madrid a lot.

Will go to City Hall when I arrive then - Will need the number for new job contracts anyway so will do that when I'm over on business prior to the move.

Great advice on the areas - Never looked at them but will search tonight. Are you likely to get more for your money there than King St W for example?

Thank you again.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gubby07
@UPSY

Thank you for that - The credit card did worry me as I've read that my AMEX won't be accepted in a lot of places
I don't find using Amex to be a problem, it's fine for bars, restaurants, rental cars, hotels and the like. The sorts of things a business traveler might purchase. You can't routinely buy groceries with it.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to my SIN, do I just take my soon to be renewed Canadian passport to the designated office when I'm over in 6 weeks or so and get one there and then?
Yep - head to any Services Canada centre with your Canadian passport and they will do it there and then.

Definitely renew your passport ASAP. Canada House in the UK will normally turn it around in 4 - 5 weeks (they did for me last year).
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much - I will do just that. Filling in new passport application as we speak.

Also, as I'm moving to Toronto in the middle of the bloomin Winter and likely to be a bit nippy, what stores would you recommend heading to for winter gear on arrival? What essentials would you recommend? (Lived in sunny Madrid for 2 years so will be a bit of a shock for sure!)

Would the fact it's the middle of winter make it harder to make friends? In Madrid, I just joined a social rugby club on arrival and that was me sorted - Any recommendations for doing something similar in Toronto?

I'm a massive Man United fan so was thinking of heading to a bar when they're playing and just start chatting to people. That likely to be well received?!

Thanks again all, great help.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, as I'm moving to Toronto in the middle of the bloomin Winter and likely to be a bit nippy, what stores would you recommend heading to for winter gear on arrival? What essentials would you recommend? (Lived in sunny Madrid for 2 years so will be a bit of a shock for sure!)
Most of the winter stuff we have came from LL Bean; there was no need to go outside to get it. MEC is pretty good. Mark's Work Wearhouse keeps most of the basic stuff though usually not the premium brands.

In Toronto in the winter for work (reached by tram and walking) I wore a Crombie when I felt rich and a lined jacket in the manner of a Harrington when I didn't. I had a pair of light leather gloves. For walking the dog on the beach I added a wooly hat and upgraded to heavy gloves and actual Docs.

Now, in the country, I dress like the Michelin man.

As far as the football goes, the crowd watching MUFC will be mostly British so the atmosphere, and chance of mingling, will be the same as in a pub there. If you want to meet a broader range of people try going when there`s American football or baseball.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

@dbd33

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated and very helpful.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't find using Amex to be a problem, it's fine for bars, restaurants, rental cars, hotels and the like. The sorts of things a business traveler might purchase. You can't routinely buy groceries with it.
Metro and Food Basics accept Amex, as does Shoppers Drug Mart (which, since being taken over by Loblaws, is putting more food in to several of their stores).

I guess the OP's Amex question was in relation to moving one's Amex card from the UK to Canada?

Slightly off-topic but worth mentioning: if you're going to do that, and want to get a nice war chest of points you can convert to frequent flyer miles (which some of us find very useful for travel), consider getting the Amex Business Platinum and then self-referring to the biz gold (1 year free) and then the regular plat card. Referral bonuses from the biz plat are highest, so well worth maxing those out while you have the card. IIRC, the biz cards are still churnable, personal ones aren't supposed to be any more but YMMV. There's plenty of info about this sort of thing out there, reddit's "churning canada" sub is a good a place as any to start.

Also, the Amex cards (like some, but not all, other Canadian c/cards) let you waive CDW on hire cars (including back in the UK, in fact pretty much most countries - but, notably, not Ireland). As I recall, the UK cards don't give you that perk.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bgpz
Also, the Amex cards (like some, but not all, other Canadian c/cards) let you waive CDW on hire cars (including back in the UK, in fact pretty much most countries - but, notably, not Ireland). As I recall, the UK cards don't give you that perk.
I did drive an Amex waivered hire car in Ireland. The trick (accidental in our case) was to pick up the car at Two Livers.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a massive Man United fan so was thinking of heading to a bar when they're playing and just start chatting to people. That likely to be well received?!
Scallywags at Yonge and St Clair tends to show most Premier League games and attracts quite a few supporters. I've gone there to watch my team (Palace) a few times and usually fall into conversation with other fans.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Trinkers is an unknown quantity at this point

Just so you're aware of timeframes for passport, I submitted my renewal on 15th July, and it hasn't arrived yet. Their current lead time is 10-12 weeks due to the Dual nationality changes. I'm hopeful it will arrive before the 9th, otherwise I'll need special authorisation to travel on my UK passport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.