Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving here for the kids"

"Moving here for the kids"

Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:32 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving here for the kids"

Originally Posted by Shard
Most Canadian students commute from home. In Britain it's a bit easier to go "AWAY" to university, when that university town is a massive 200 miles down the road. Different prospect when the away university is 2000 miles down the road. Whether kids do their 'growing up' at 18 or 21 is not that much of an issue.
This is a pretty good point. Plus universities in the UK may have more "halls of residence" available. Not sure if they exist over here.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Not sure if they exist over here.
They do.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:05 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They do.
At a fee....
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:07 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Most Canadian students commute from home. In Britain it's a bit easier to go "AWAY" to university, when that university town is a massive 200 miles down the road. Different prospect when the away university is 2000 miles down the road. Whether kids do their 'growing up' at 18 or 21 is not that much of an issue.
"Most"???

I think it just depends on the school. I was at Queens, and 98% of the student body lived either in residence or in student housing around campus. my cousin was at Carleton, and about 80% of the students lived on or just off campus. Universities in larger cities like UofT or McMaster will be way different. I had three friends who went to McMaster. One commuted from Oakville, the other two lived in Residence in first year and off-campus years 2 through 4.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
"Most"???

I think it just depends on the school. I was at Queens, and 98% of the student body lived either in residence or in student housing around campus. my cousin was at Carleton, and about 80% of the students lived on or just off campus. Universities in larger cities like UofT or McMaster will be way different. I had three friends who went to McMaster. One commuted from Oakville, the other two lived in Residence in first year and off-campus years 2 through 4.
After posting I realised there may be a difference in student residency in Ontario universities compared to Maritimes or Western. It would be interesting to see the statistics on it.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

After posting I realised there may be a difference in student residency in Ontario universities compared to Maritimes or Western. It would be interesting to see the statistics on it.
Which ones do you think have a lot of commuters? I'd guess the UofT and UBC, not the Maritime ones as they're full of students from Ontario.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Which ones do you think have a lot of commuters? I'd guess the UofT and UBC, not the Maritime ones as they're full of students from Ontario.
The Western ones. I assumed the Maritimes uni's would be full of Maritimers but perhaps that is not the case. The population and university density of Ontario makes commuting less of a necessity.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The population and university density of Ontario makes commuting less of a necessity.
Huh?

I think people commute to university because they're Asian and that's what Asians do. I don't see how the number of schools could make it more necessary; obviously if the only school is in the next Province then it's less necessary, the student has to move there.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:32 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Queen's says only 5-10% of first-year students don't live in residence. Orientation - Not in Residence? (I know from being there that this is specifically referring to residence - I knew a few people who lived in student housing instead of residence because it was cheaper.)

UBC guarantees residence placement for every first-year student and the site just says "most live on-campus" - Living the campus life

McGill I am ballparking... total undergrad enrolment is about 23k students. Say roughly 25% of those are first-years, so call it somewhere between 5000 and 6000 students. Their website says 2850 live in residence, so about 50%. Where will I live? | Undergraduate Admissions - McGill University and Students | About McGill - McGill University

Dalhousie also guarantees a spot for all first-year students, but I can't find stats on how many actually take it up. Top 11 Reasons to Live in Res - Residence - Dalhousie University
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wonder what % of students go on for graduates degrees? The few I know did it several years after graduating initially, married and went back to school, so not sure if that is the norm.

I'd say unless they came from money, a student won't own a coffee shop after college.
My young Canadian friends tell me that a masters degree is essential as everyone gets batchelor's degrees. They were also discussing whether or not a PhD is essential.

I tend to agree, having a degree these days doesn't indicate anything special about the owner.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:37 pm
Yo

Oh not ... not the Asian stereotype again!

Let me rephrase: higher university density in Ontario means students can escape local university commuting by going to another down the road (but not out of province). Although I do realise many Ontarians grace college campuses of lesser provinces too.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bats
having a degree these days doesn't indicate anything special about the owner.
That's why you need one, everyone has a degree and a clean pair trousers for the interview; if you don't have these things you're not in the running. It's not the case that having a degree or clean clothes distinguishes you at all.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I know I may not be stereotypical, but I didn't go to university, didn't get a degree - work in an engineering profession, yet manage to earn in the top 10% of incomes.

A friend of mine did an Electrical and Electronic Engineering Degree at a respected university in the UK, I didn't, I got a job at an engineering firm and did a Diploma on a "day release" scheme - 12 hours a day, one day a week and worked the other day.

When he got his Degree, he applied for a job at my company and didn't get it. He did manage to get a job elsewhere, but it was earning much less than I was. A few years later another position came up at my company - he applied for the job, but then removed his application when he found out that I would be his manager.

The company where I now work paid for my LMO, paid for my BC PNP application and paid me the going rate to move to BC to work for them, after six months, they have given me a raise without my asking. - All of this without a degree in sight.

While I will fully support my son if he decides he wants to go to University, it is by no means a requirement for success.

On the question the OP asked - I firmly believe that Canada is for us a massively better place to bring up our son than the UK, how you feel about it is totally up to you and everyone has their own opinions and experiences.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My young Canadian friends tell me that a masters degree is essential as everyone gets batchelor's degrees. They were also discussing whether or not a PhD is essential.

I tend to agree, having a degree these days doesn't indicate anything special about the owner.
I believe that the vast majority of doctors, lawyers, engineers and accountants in Canada do not have masters. One wonders how they were able to do so.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:40 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

The key thing is you got your experience in the UK- I did pretty much the same, though day release got you an ONC/HNC in my day, the OND/HND equivalents were full time or block release. I think the system you and I went through is far, far better. But it doesn't really exist here.

Originally Posted by Eddmac
I know I may not be stereotypical, but I didn't go to university, didn't get a degree - work in an engineering profession, yet manage to earn in the top 10% of incomes.

A friend of mine did an Electrical and Electronic Engineering Degree at a respected university in the UK, I didn't, I got a job at an engineering firm and did a Diploma on a "day release" scheme - 12 hours a day, one day a week and worked the other day.

When he got his Degree, he applied for a job at my company and didn't get it. He did manage to get a job elsewhere, but it was earning much less than I was. A few years later another position came up at my company - he applied for the job, but then removed his application when he found out that I would be his manager.

The company where I now work paid for my LMO, paid for my BC PNP application and paid me the going rate to move to BC to work for them, after six months, they have given me a raise without my asking. - All of this without a degree in sight.

While I will fully support my son if he decides he wants to go to University, it is by no means a requirement for success.

On the question the OP asked - I firmly believe that Canada is for us a massively better place to bring up our son than the UK, how you feel about it is totally up to you and everyone has their own opinions and experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.