Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving here for the kids"

"Moving here for the kids"

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving here for the kids"

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I've just read the CTV article about the public sector being so much better. Another strike against growing up in Canada- if you end up in a spoon fed public sector job and the economy does go bang, you're going to find it much harder to head out and find something else.

But now I'm sounding like a total Thatcherite. OMG.
Canada does that to you.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 10:05 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Poutine Missiles Ahead!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 10:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

now I'm sounding like a total Thatcherite. OMG.
Something to be proud of!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Co-op courses help with the financing (assuming its a paid co-op). My eldest is on such a course studying accounting. He worked 4 months last summer at his company, 4 months this year, I think 8 months next year. He is getting experience in his chosen field, the time he works can be credited against the requirements for his professional designation once he gets his degree and he gets paid a significant amount which helps considerably with the cost.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 12:42 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

These Coop programmes produce the best graduates as well, as they come out much more "work ready" than standard grads, given the highly academic non-vocational nature of Canadian degrees. I'm thinking waterloo in particular.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Co-op courses help with the financing (assuming its a paid co-op). My eldest is on such a course studying accounting. He worked 4 months last summer at his company, 4 months this year, I think 8 months next year. He is getting experience in his chosen field, the time he works can be credited against the requirements for his professional designation once he gets his degree and he gets paid a significant amount which helps considerably with the cost.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

These Coop programmes produce the best graduates as well, as they come out much more "work ready" than standard grads, given the highly academic non-vocational nature of Canadian degrees. I'm thinking waterloo in particular.
Laurier I believe is also known for its co-op program. Unless I am mis-remembering that. But I'm pretty sure it's Laurier.

Most other universities will allow you to do a co-op semester if you manage to find a placement - one girl in my program did it, even though my program otherwise did not normally "offer" co-op opportunities, more just standard summer jobs, but she had an opportunity to do a 12-month one so she spoke to the school admin and got it all sorted out to do it.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
When you ration education like that, the working class end up paying for the middle and upper middle classes to attend HE and thus the middle classes maintain their privilege. The middle classes have far more cultural capital and means to navigate and take advantage of the system tot he exclusion of working class or lower socio-economic students. The best solution, is for an open market of tuition fees, scholarships and means-tested loans and grants, coupled with a government subsidy in block grants to institutions that accommodate working class students. The system will still be unequal in status but there will be access for all students who wish to attend some form of HE.
I believe present UK system already provides full HE access by means of soft loans.

The more interesting question is that raised by MarkG - whether the majority of jobs in 20 years' time will require they type of education that had been commonplace thus far (lawyering and vetting excepted - of course).
Old Mar 24th 2015, 3:50 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

BCIT grads are highly prized here for the same reason. Interestingly, the BCIT engineering grads are progressing more quickly and being promoted over master's degree students from big name schools in the east....and from UBC...
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

I think student loans are a criminal idea. They distort education by causing students to choose courses they can afford or colleges that offer sports scholarships
What are you going on about? Student loans are geared to the tuition a student pays so they do not cause someone to choose a course they can afford? And what do sports scholarships have to do with anything, especially when Canadian schools cannot offer sports scholarships in the same way that US schools do?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Seems to me that the university bubble is on the verge of bursting, anyway. Too many kids borrowing $200k for a 'Tarantino Movie Studies' degree who then find themselves living in their parents' basement, hoping to find a job flinging coffee in Starbucks.

What degree in Canada costs $200K? In the US maybe, but not in Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
But she lives here plus, I've worked with a lot of Kiwi faculty and mostly their work is along the lines of UK thinking and is lightyears ahead of the dull stuff coming out of Canadian institutions. Mainly because any Canadian who shows the slightest promise is picked up by a US university or college.

What a ridiculous statement.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Laurier I believe is also known for its co-op program. Unless I am mis-remembering that. But I'm pretty sure it's Laurier.

Laurier doesn't have an extensive co-op program, and it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as Waterloo's (which is the largest in the world). I did my B.A. at Waterloo and my Master's at Laurier so am familiar with both schools.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:26 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Laurier doesn't have an extensive co-op program, and it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as Waterloo's (which is the largest in the world). I did my B.A. at Waterloo and my Master's at Laurier so am familiar with both schools.
Entirely possible my memory was escaping me and it was Waterloo I was thinking of instead! Happy to be corrected if I was mistaken!
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you going on about? Student loans are geared to the tuition a student pays so they do not cause someone to choose a course they can afford? And what do sports scholarships have to do with anything, especially when Canadian schools cannot offer sports scholarships in the same way that US schools do?
Students in Canada have the choice of schools in Canada or the US. Other places as well but commonly they'll go to a school in one of those countries. For example, a colleague's children went to Florida as they could get most of their course funded on the strength of playing tennis. Someone in my daughter's high school class went to Brown on the strength of knowing iced hockey. Cradles may be different but most students won't favour a school because it's in one country or the other.

I could have phrased my post better but my point is that, if someone has to borrow $100,000 to finish school, they are more likely to take something saleable, something that will refund the payments, "a course they can afford", than the one to which they are most academically suited. Thus we get electrical engineers and not historians; society wants engineers, it doesn't want historians. Of course, to a Thatcherite, this is good but it's not learning for its own sake which, to me, is the point of education.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I did my B.A. at Waterloo and my Master's at Laurier so am familiar with both schools.
Every week, when you post that, you make me reconsider my argument that education is unequivocally a good thing. Surely you could have been inarticulate and parochial without taking up space in those classes; think of all the tyres you could have mounted or milk bottles you could have delivered during that wasted decade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.