Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving here for the kids"

"Moving here for the kids"

Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving here for the kids"

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't have an issue with free education. I approve. I don't approve of people expecting the state (i.e. other people) to subsidize their future superior income.
You approve of free education, but dont want the state to pay??
So who pays?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:25 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The acquistion of any skill may stimulate intellectual curiousity so being able to write is of potential benefit there. The lack of skills commonly held is a social disadvantage so illiteracy, albeit in the limited sense of not being able to read or write documents created by hand, is a disadvantage there. The presumption that children need not be able to deal with traditional written forms because they'll always have an electronic device to hand and will have no interest in source documents seems to me presumptuous; what if the child wants to be an archivist?

My analogy remains the use of a knife and fork; it's not strictly necessary to be familiar with that technology but I'd certainly prefer my children to have mastered it; even if they're living in Canada. I don't think anything is lost by being able to use real cutlery as well as a spork or chopsticks and I don't think any skill or knowledge need be sacrificed in order to learn to write.
I don't think it's a big deal. Someone could create a "reading cursive" course aimed at Archivists if it's needed. Maybe my kid could do that.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
So has America. Last I looked, student loans were the biggest single source of new credit in the US economy, which is why the government keep pushing kids to borrow lots of money to blow on a Tarantino Studies degree. Keeps them off the unemployment figures, too.
No, this is not what I meant. In Germany, Finland, and a few others, university education is now tuition fee free.
You, or I, or anyone, pretty much, can study for free.

Student loans are not providing free education.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I don't think it's a big deal. Someone could create a "reading cursive" course aimed at Archivists if it's needed. Maybe my kid could do that.
She'll be a teacher, nurse or secretary/pa, its all just an extension of the childcare/family protocol.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
She'll be a teacher, nurse or secretary/pa, its all just an extension of the childcare/family protocol.
You're talking to a kiwi. University education in New Zealand doesnt extend much further than chasing sheep.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
No, this is not what I meant. In Germany, Finland, and a few others, university education is now tuition fee free.
You, or I, or anyone, pretty much, can study for free.

Student loans are not providing free education.
So, do you prefer it that those that choose work (plumbers, electricians, etc.) over obtaining a degree pay for others to obtain a degree so that they can go on to earn far more? How many degrees should be free? The first one, the second one, etc?

A lawyer I used to work with has written this on her profile: [She has a] Master of Arts in English Literature. The focus of her Master's thesis was gender constructions and subjectivity in sonnet sequences written during the Renaissance period.

Should taxpayers have paid the tuition for such a course?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You're talking to a kiwi. University education in New Zealand doesnt extend much further than chasing sheep.
But she lives here plus, I've worked with a lot of Kiwi faculty and mostly their work is along the lines of UK thinking and is lightyears ahead of the dull stuff coming out of Canadian institutions. Mainly because any Canadian who shows the slightest promise is picked up by a US university or college.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:05 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

ha, she's actually thinking about being a midwife.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, do you prefer it that those that choose work (plumbers, electricians, etc.) over obtaining a degree pay for others to obtain a degree so that they can go on to earn far more? How many degrees should be free? The first one, the second one, etc?

A lawyer I used to work with has written this on her profile: [She has a] Master of Arts in English Literature. The focus of her Master's thesis was gender constructions and subjectivity in sonnet sequences written during the Renaissance period.

Should taxpayers have paid the tuition for such a course?
There are two ways to look at this.
1) The person who goes on to university can expect to earn more money, so they should be expected to pay for it. Personally, I think this is the short sighted view.
2) Compare any two countries where there is significant disparity over the % of people with university education. There is empirical evidence to show that country A (with more graduates) has a higher standard of living, collects more taxes, has a stronger/more stable economy, scores higher in qualify of life index, etc, etc.
A country benefits by having a better educated population, and should treat education as an investment in its own future.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You approve of free education, but dont want the state to pay??
So who pays?
Education free (paid by state).

Remedial job training free (paid by state).

Job training masquerading as higher education for high earning careers to be paid for by the trainee/employer/whoever, but not the state
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Education free (paid by state).

Remedial job training free (paid by state).

Job training masquerading as higher education for high earning careers to be paid for by the trainee/employer/whoever, but not the state
What about medical school? The equipment and supplies needed are are far more expensive than they can reasonably pass on to students in the form of tuition and fees.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
ha, she's actually thinking about being a midwife.
My comment was rather tounge-in-cheek. The NA economy will need a lot more women coders than are being produced at the moment.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:00 pm

My comment was rather tounge-in-cheek. The NA economy will need a lot more women coders than are being produced at the moment.
I am hinting that way at her. She joined the computer club at school
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There are two ways to look at this.
1) The person who goes on to university can expect to earn more money, so they should be expected to pay for it. Personally, I think this is the short sighted view.
2) Compare any two countries where there is significant disparity over the % of people with university education. There is empirical evidence to show that country A (with more graduates) has a higher standard of living, collects more taxes, has a stronger/more stable economy, scores higher in qualify of life index, etc, etc.
A country benefits by having a better educated population, and should treat education as an investment in its own future.
That didn't really answer the questions I asked.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't move here "for" the kids. I already had 2 and that was more than enough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.