Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada, without a job lined up.. Success stories... Or not...

Moving to Canada, without a job lined up.. Success stories... Or not...

Old Jul 21st 2015, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Annemd78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Canada, without a job lined up.. Success stories... Or not...

Originally Posted by newlife_canada
Which Express entry nomination have you applied for Annemarie... if you don't mind me asking
Ive met the criteria for FSWP through express entry! As I said before I feel my points have slipped and it may be a big chance to get a nomination now. Having said that in keeping my fingers crossed!
Old Jul 24th 2015, 12:10 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Canada, without a job lined up.. Success stories... Or not...

We came over in 2010 as PRs via SWV route. Tried to line up companies from UK but didnt have much success as i work defence electronics. Made the leap a few weeks after we got our visas and brought enough money for about 6 months.

My wife decided to work retail and got setup quickly once she looked. She has moved into admin and is doing well.

I got interviews but had very little success with companies mainly as they seem to put out positions but no real plan to fill them. Finally got a job around month 8 (actually 3 offers in a week) and was close to running out of money (about 2 weeks left in savings). Been in same job every since. I was able to get into engineering at same level I left UK thankfully. This was my biggest misunderstanding in my field here and I had to stick to my guns for it. I think i would have struggled to move on if i had taken a technician role.

I have been promoted once already. Now being lined up for senior position within next couple of months.

Not sure I would have had same opportunities for promotion had I stayed in UK but I would have had better job security. Currently facing win massive bid and get promotion plus 2 year job security vs lose bid and down size company (which may or may not include me) and try to sell it.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Walsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant future

We arrived in June 2011 after landing in 2009 with no jobs lined up. My husband got a job two weeks later (he's an electrician by trade) and I started a new job in September in healthcare with no previous experience in the non-profit industry. I took a lower paying job initially and then worked my way up. Hard work and the right attitude is rewarded in my experience. But I'm like a dog with bone, I wouldn't let up, searching, cold calling, networking and using every resource available (agencies, YMCA) and it worked for us.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

laddo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Canada in December 2014 without a job. I've managed to do some work for UK companies. Meetings are done on skype. There is not as much work in Canada as the UK on the whole.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 10:40 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

I moved to Canada without a job lined up and had in fact quit a job I loved that paid a small fortune for working just six months a year. To me, it was worth it for the chance of an adventure. I was unemployed for a few months but got lucky because my company had been given a huge project by a client but they didn't have any personnel to work on the job. I was hired probably because I was available immediately. I had some doubts that I'd find a job but I had £20,000 in savings behind me too. I can't entirely say the move has been worth it but life's a rollercoaster and it can't be sunshine and rainbows all the time.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

We moved over without jobs in 2013. I planned on having a six month sabbatical and ended up being out of work for two months longer than planned but have since been very lucky to find a well-paid and interesting job that uses my UK qualifications.

We're now both settled in our new jobs and lives but know that we got lucky.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

I moved over on a working holiday in 2009 with no job lined up. It was a bit nerve wracking.. my wife got a job pretty quickly, so we could pay the rent I applied for a lot of jobs, and even turned down two jobs, but in the end started at a good one at a university after about 2 months, after a year they then supported my BCPNP PR application, and the rest is history