Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada: Adult Nurse and Mentail Health Nurse

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
Well I did the online score thingy based on me and sean etc etc...aand it was ok I did make up the English test results as it us something for me to take and for sean...well he is English so should be ok with the test
What was the score? You'll need more than approx 450-480 as a rough guide to be in with a chance.

Assume max for IELTS as you're native speakers.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute

I am still practising in UK☺I applied just before NNAS and the CRNNS sent over copies to CLPNNS for my LPN registration. I was told that for my RN registration I would need to do about 6 extra modules mostly online however because in uk we don't do midwifery hours at uni I was told I need to complete 80 hours of supervised practice within delivery unit...and that would be in NS...they said it will take about three weeks to complete the placement...visa...it is beyond me it seems to be such a variety of options when it comes to permits and visas at the moment I feel rather lost
Midwifery will be something I have to do for sure as like you we don't cover that at Uni here in the UK. Like you said in a previous post I would have also called for a midwife if I came across someone about to give birth! Do you have an advanced diploma here in the UK or a degree? I have a degree and according to my NNAS report am comparable in professionalism and leadership skills but not anything else! Not sure what the college will say when they assess my file!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by telgar32
Midwifery will be something I have to do for sure as like you we don't cover that at Uni here in the UK. Like you said in a previous post I would have also called for a midwife if I came across someone about to give birth! Do you have an advanced diploma here in the UK or a degree? I have a degree and according to my NNAS report am comparable in professionalism and leadership skills but not anything else! Not sure what the college will say when they assess my file!
Same here, UK degree but it means very little
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute

How frustrating! Its not easy completing a degree here in the UK. When you applied to CRNNS did you have to send the application by post or do they accept them via email? Just thinking about the time it takes to get there by post.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

How frustrating! Its not easy completing a degree here in the UK. When you applied to CRNNS did you have to send the application by post or do they accept them via email? Just thinking about the time it takes to get there by post.
All via post...
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

All via post...
Thanks again! I literally just printed and started the application as I thought it probably would be!
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience when posting NS to UK has been 5-7 days if that helps you with a rough time frame for posting stuff
Old Mar 4th 2016, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Silverdragon. I contacted CRNNS and they stated that it was okay to email the form or fax it surprisingly so I scanned and emailed it to them this Monday along with paying their registration fee and received a letter from them today.
I basically have 2 options, either to complete a 2 day general competence assessment along with any bridging education or, a nursing re-entry program.

Does anyone have experience of either of these. The nursing re-entry programme consists of 8 core modules and one in a subject of your choice. I think this may the one you were referring to kasiadoran?
Old Mar 4th 2016, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

May not be relevant at all but there have been a lot of tv ads run by the BC union of nurses about the chronic shortage of nurses in the province.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Silverdragon. I contacted CRNNS and they stated that it was okay to email the form or fax it surprisingly so I scanned and emailed it to them this Monday along with paying their registration fee and received a letter from them today.
I basically have 2 options, either to complete a 2 day general competence assessment along with any bridging education or, a nursing re-entry program.

Does anyone have experience of either of these. The nursing re-entry programme consists of 8 core modules and one in a subject of your choice. I think this may the one you were referring to kasiadoran?
No...i did apply to CRNNS and did the competency assessment only to be then told I need 80 hours of maternity placement with the NS hospital and about 6-8 modules....i guess that the re-entry bit...but the modules were very pricey as there is and exam at the end of which...some of the modules are online, some are nit and it us timed so the exams are all together but apart from college fees for the programme which I was quoted around $2500 it will require 3-5 weeks unpaid hours in NS...some for the placement the rest to complete the modules and sit final competency tests etc...i can't afford it at the moment...so I applied for LPN license. I am doing one online module: community and maternity nursing. It is online, and the final assessment is online as well. Cost involved £350.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Scifikitten is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear I'm a single parent and I've been looking into working as a mental health nurse in BC. Reading these posts is very discouraging.
My sons auntie and uncle are RMNs that moved over about 5 years ago so they've been trying to advise, they said it was lengthy and hard but it sounds impossible based on what people are saying now.
I thought my Diploma would enable me to practice as an rmn once I'd registered with nmas and sat the exam. Is this not the case?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scifikitten
Oh dear I'm a single parent and I've been looking into working as a mental health nurse in BC. Reading these posts is very discouraging.
My sons auntie and uncle are RMNs that moved over about 5 years ago so they've been trying to advise, they said it was lengthy and hard but it sounds impossible based on what people are saying now.
I thought my Diploma would enable me to practice as an rmn once I'd registered with nmas and sat the exam. Is this not the case?
That is not the case if I'm honest I'm afraid. I have a degree in adult nursing and thought that would be enough to sit the exam also. The thing is in Canada they don't have mental health, adult nurses and children's nurses or midwives. They are general nurses and once qualified can work in any of thrse areas. Here in the uk we only train in the area in which we wish to work, that's why we lack skills as far as the Canadians are concerned .
Old Mar 5th 2016, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Some provinces do accept RMN and they are mainly on the west side of Canada otherwise as mentioned Canada is general trained and for a lot of UK nurses very hard to meet requirements
Old Mar 5th 2016, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Scifikitten is an unknown quantity at this point

That is not the case if I'm honest I'm afraid. I have a degree in adult nursing and thought that would be enough to sit the exam also. The thing is in Canada they don't have mental health, adult nurses and children's nurses or midwives. They are general nurses and once qualified can work in any of thrse areas. Here in the uk we only train in the area in which we wish to work, that's why we lack skills as far as the Canadians are concerned .
Wow. I was totally unaware of this. I am looking in British Columbia and there are jobs specifically for mental health nurses. Guess I'll try my luck. Although it doesn't sound great!
Old Mar 5th 2016, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
May not be relevant at all but there have been a lot of tv ads run by the BC union of nurses about the chronic shortage of nurses in the province.
Thats because BCNU are in bargaining now, or starting soon. My union fees are going on expensive TV commercials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.