Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada...

Moving to Canada...

Old Sep 13th 2017, 7:55 am
Just Joined

winter_summer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada...

I'm 25 years old, British and have just been approved for my 2 year IEC visa to work and live in Canada. I'm so pleased to have got this as it's an amazing opportunity and some people wait months/years to get an invitation to apply. The entire process was turned around in under 3 months for me - so I do feel very lucky and fortunate.

I'm now saving money to head over there and aiming to be out there before January.

Naturally, I'm a combination of excited and terrified. I grew up in the UK but have been living in Cyprus for the last 7 months with family so it'll be a big step.

I'd love some advice on where is best to settle in Canada, finding jobs, cost of living and anything I need to be aware of. I'm a graphic designer with over 5 years experience and I'd love to be able to continue working in that field.

I'm worried I won't be able to find a job or make any friends so would love to hear some success stories from fellow expats.

Thanks so much for reading and in advance for any replies.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada...

What are you into, Canada is a high country with vastly different climates and lifestyles depending on which province and even city you choose.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

kenny geey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by winter_summer
I'm 25 years old, British and have just been approved for my 2 year IEC visa to work and live in Canada. I'm so pleased to have got this as it's an amazing opportunity and some people wait months/years to get an invitation to apply. The entire process was turned around in under 3 months for me - so I do feel very lucky and fortunate.

I'm now saving money to head over there and aiming to be out there before January.

Naturally, I'm a combination of excited and terrified. I grew up in the UK but have been living in Cyprus for the last 7 months with family so it'll be a big step.

I'd love some advice on where is best to settle in Canada, finding jobs, cost of living and anything I need to be aware of. I'm a graphic designer with over 5 years experience and I'd love to be able to continue working in that field.

I'm worried I won't be able to find a job or make any friends so would love to hear some success stories from fellow expats.

You're lucky and let me say congratulations.I would suggest Manitoba for you. All your request can be meet there from my research on that province, It's a place full of good experiences and unique adaptation to new comers ;do some search you'll love it. As I'm expecting my family invitation too.'BON DE CHANCE' -.Emmanuel
Old Sep 13th 2017, 4:22 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Vancouver or Toronto.

Vancouver if you want to snowboard often. Toronto for a bigger choice of jobs or nightlife.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 6:13 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

West is best if you want the full on Canadian lumberjack experience. If you don't care about beautiful scenery, hiking, skiing etc then it doesn't really matter where you go.

This website has some good information https://www.livingin-canada.com/

BC stands for bring cash if you do decide to travel out this way.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Prairies for lots of things you couldn't do in the UK such as

1. Licking a lamppost or piece of exposed metal in February and seeing how long your tongue gets stuck to it and how you remove it.
2. Going out in minus 40C temps and realizing that how stoopid you look in a toque, mitts and scarf of full face balaclava its saves the extremities from frost bite.
3. Driving for kilometres without seeing another vehicle.
4. Having that zoned out feeling after driving 3 hours straight without a bend/curve in the road.
5. No expensive add on insurance policies for extreme sports like snowboarding down mountains and downhill skiing.
6. Toronto seems close to Winnipeg on a map. Drive it then see if your map reading skills need updating.
7. When Vancouverites complain they have had 2 inches of snow then you can laugh your ass off at them.