Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada!!

Moving to Canada!!

Old May 15th 2015, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada!!

Originally Posted by itsasmallworld
Well put. I really like this post.
+1.

Originally Posted by Danraven
Another thing that appeals is the different lifestyle, surely has to be better than the UK!!! And a better environment/culture to bring kids up in
Out of interest, why do you think it has to be better than the UK and a better culture to bring kids up in? I liked Canada, but it didn't offer us or our children anything that the UK can't, and it's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to move to a nicer part of the UK than to move across an ocean!

If you love Canada, or fancy an adventure, then go for it, but best not to move because you think Canada will somehow be free of any negatives you feel about the UK.

Good luck with it.
Old May 15th 2015, 7:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Is it still nice and warm though?
It's a bit like it is now, warm warm sunshine but the air starts to get a bit of a nip to it, certainly by mid September you are wondering whether a jacket is required as the norm.
Old May 15th 2015, 7:19 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1.

Out of interest, why do you think it has to be better than the UK and a better culture to bring kids up in? I liked Canada, but it didn't offer us or our children anything that the UK can't, and it's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to move to a nicer part of the UK than to move across an ocean!

If you love Canada, or fancy an adventure, then go for it, but best not to move because you think Canada will somehow be free of any negatives you feel about the UK.

Good luck with it.
There are times we wish we had done this. But more often than not we are glad we went further. We are in an odd situation a bit limbo ish, as we think Canada is home but where we are isn't and we are hoping our next choice will just tie it altogether.
Old May 15th 2015, 10:25 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
It's a bit like it is now, warm warm sunshine but the air starts to get a bit of a nip to it, certainly by mid September you are wondering whether a jacket is required as the norm.
That's interesting, for me it seems like September is a bit like british summer time on a good day. It's almost hot but that intense humidity has gone, sadly as I love it. You do get days where it's cooler but mostly it's fabulous weather... Makes up for our crappy springs
Old May 16th 2015, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that appeals is the different lifestyle, surely has to be better than the UK!!! And a better environment/culture to bring kids up in
In regards to the paperwork give it a go yourself. Plenty of info and help on here and CIC website. Save a bundle of money!

Others have mentioned "it's not better, just different".

That response is used a lot to that question.
Well some people's 'different', may well end up being 'better'!
So give it a go mate.
Old May 17th 2015, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

sammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud of

Do the application process yourself as its cheaper and unless there is something complicated having a lawyer doesn't make it go any faster.

So I love living here, but honestly speaking I think as far as education, culture is concerned, the British are more aware of what's going on around the world.
Canadians are a little isolated from the world.

The summers are lovely here ( I live in Ontario) but the winters are long and harsh.

There is a better standard of living in the sense that your money will go further, your house will be bigger, but I personally feel that the quality of food is better in the UK and in general good food is cheaper in the UK. This is just my personal opinion and again I live in Ontario.

If you are an electrician you may need to take some training so you can work here but i would advise you to start your own business...self-employment is really the way to go. This way you can offset a lot of your expenses. Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do.

p.s if you really really want to use a lawyer, I can give you the name of mine - Abrams & Krochak- no scamming involved and I am not related to them and I get no money for mentioning them. But honestly, if I could do it all over again, I would just do it myself and save my money. Good Luck.
Old May 17th 2015, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Danraven is an unknown quantity at this point

Did any of you guys have to take an English language test??? If so which type did you book??
Old May 17th 2015, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Did any of you guys have to take an English language test??? If so which type did you book??
The English one
Most choose the IELTS or the CELPIP.

Language testing—Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Old May 18th 2015, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

sammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud ofsammymoko has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Moving to Canada!!

I took IELTS. It was pretty easy, I can't imagine anyone who has been born/brought up in UK finding it hard but its good to practice just to understand how they go about it and ensuring your brain is in the right gear, especially if you have been out of school/college for a while.

You may be able to find some sample tests to practice on in the library or on the internet- just google IELTS. Unfortunately I can't remember what's on the test as I took it over 7 years ago else I'd just share. Good luck.

Last edited by sammymoko; May 18th 2015 at 1:15 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammymoko
I took IELTS. It was pretty easy, I can't imagine anyone whose been born/brought up in UK finding it hard but its good to practice just to understand how they go about it and ensuring your brain is in the right gear, especially if you have been out of school/college for a while.
Not that easy..."who has"....or even, "that has"...
Old May 18th 2015, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ooops! lol! Thanks for the correction Shard.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammymoko
Ooops! lol! Thanks for the correction Shard.
That's a complete Canadianism, so you're obviously picking up the verbal lingo!
Old May 18th 2015, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

I have no excuse, I spent the better part of my life in London (over 30 years) and I really should know better..so I'm going to hang my head in shame here and not blame my fellow Canadians! lol!
Old May 19th 2015, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

After all those posts, i dont think OP will be applying anyway now! lol

I think as long as you know Canada is going to be different, there isnt a problem, as so many people have said before there has to be a pull from Canada along with a push from the UK.

I had both the push and the pull, and i enjoy my life more in Canada than i did in the UK, but i was prepared for the winter (which in Ontario is 4 months winter and 4 months summer) with 4 "inbetweeney" months. I was also prepared for the culture change, food offerings, i dont miss any food from the UK and I dont miss what could be sometimes just hostile and cutting humour from the UK, which I never found that funny, although i do agree some Canadians dont get even get straight forward sarcasm, but i have been lucky enough to find plenty of Canadian friends and work colleagues that do.

Everyone has had a different experience from moving here, the main thing is know what your getting yourself into before hand, and make sure that PULL from Canada is there, and actually stronger than the push from the UK and you will settle in fine.
Old May 19th 2015, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to Canada!!

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

Everyone has had a different experience from moving here, the main thing is know what your getting yourself into before hand, and make sure that PULL from Canada is there, and actually stronger than the push from the UK and you will settle in fine.

Well said!