Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to canada

moving to canada

Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

sugarlips12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation moving to canada

hello all im so confused looking at canada and all the different provinces!! im from england, london so not use to a massive country as canada!
im a community nurse 27yrs old, single, no kids, i have family in canada not sure what part exactly but i think they live near toronto so i would want to stay somewhere close-ish,

can anyone recommend a province for someone like myself??
young, likes to party but not too hard lol, i would like to be near good night life,restaurants, shopping malls etc and people around my own age

however i would like to start a family soon so wouldnt mind somewhere close to all the above but somewhere quiet-ish where i could start a family??
thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to canada

Originally Posted by sugarlips12
hello all im so confused looking at canada and all the different provinces!! im from england, london so not use to a massive country as canada!
im a community nurse 27yrs old, single, no kids, i have family in canada not sure what part exactly but i think they live near toronto so i would want to stay somewhere close-ish,

can anyone recommend a province for someone like myself??
young, likes to party but not too hard lol, i would like to be near good night life,restaurants, shopping malls etc and people around my own age

however i would like to start a family soon so wouldnt mind somewhere close to all the above but somewhere quiet-ish where i could start a family??
thanks

A few things to consider before you even get as far as picking a province.

1) What route are you planning on taking in terms of work permit etc? Given your age, IEC is the easiest option, but can be tough to get.

2) Nursing is one of the toughest professions to transition to from the UK to Canada. There are quite a few threads on the topic - it will probably take you at least a year to get your credentials recognized in order to practice in Canada. Do some big reading up on this, and read some of the stories from people on this forum who are waiting to get recognized in Canada - you really, really need to do your research if you want to work as a nurse in Canada.

3) I would suggest maybe going on a trip out to see your family in Toronto and just doing a recce trip. There are tons of areas to consider, lots that would fit your bill... but you'll need to experience it for yourself.

Read the wiki, and do a search on the forum, and inform yourself on more specifics on the logistics of your move.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi welcome,

As you quite rightly say Canada is a huge country, what I like may be completely different to what you like in a place. I like Toronto, but a lot of people can't stand the place. Lots of people like Vancouver but I'm not the world's biggest fan.

May I recommend that you consider International Experience Canada (IEC) 12 month open work permit that you can travel across Canada and decide for yourself.

International Experience Canada - travel and work in Canada
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

thank you both!! i think i will visit my uncle and see for myself
this is something i have been thinking about for a while i know of the process of federal skilled worker and the new express entry system etc and the painstaking nclex exam!!

my question is there any nurses out there who have recently moved to canada and been through this new process with nnas??
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:51 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Hi welcome,

As you quite rightly say Canada is a huge country, what I like may be completely different to what you like in a place. I like Toronto, but a lot of people can't stand the place. Lots of people like Vancouver but I'm not the world's biggest fan.

May I recommend that you consider International Experience Canada (IEC) 12 month open work permit that you can travel across Canada and decide for yourself.

International Experience Canada - travel and work in Canada
Not to be pessimistic but working as a nurse on an IEC might not even be possible given the timescales... She could actually be past the age limit by the time she completed any requirements!!!

I guess if you're a community nurse, you are adult trained...how long ago? Diploma or degree?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If you specialize in diabetes there should be loads of work for you.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:52 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

thank you both!! i think i will visit my uncle and see for myself
this is something i have been thinking about for a while i know of the process of federal skilled worker and the new express entry system etc and the painstaking nclex exam!!

my question is there any nurses out there who have recently moved to canada and been through this new process with nnas??
I haven't heard of anyone who has come through NNAS yet... I'm still waiting to hear from the CNO. I applied when I arrived last January so way past the 20 weeks of the old system to assess qualifications. It really gets me down..
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Not to be pessimistic but working as a nurse on an IEC might not even be possible given the timescales... She could actually be past the age limit by the time she completed any requirements!!!

I guess if you're a community nurse, you are adult trained...how long ago? Diploma or degree?
Yeah I didn't quite mean working as a nurse there on IEC but using IEC to explore the country and make up her own mind on whether Canada is for her, and where in Canada appeals to her.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

oh i have no intention of applying for IEC i know all about the difficulties trying to get that. im looking for a more permanent stay.
quality of living in uk is not great so i have no intentions of staying

i have an advanced diploma in adult nursing i have been nursing for nearly 5 years
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:18 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

oh i have no intention of applying for IEC i know all about the difficulties trying to get that. im looking for a more permanent stay.
quality of living in uk is not great so i have no intentions of staying
The IEC IS the easiest way to get in.

You have very little chance of getting someone to go to the trouble of getting an LMIA where you need to register as a nurse with no canadian work experience and then as others have said above upgrade your education. I know nurses that are youth workers/mental health workers out here on IEC as the process takes a long time to become a nurse

The UK may not be great but don't expect the grass to be greener on the other side either.

If I return to the UK, I'm going to upgrading my education to become an RN but I know canada will not be an option for me after this as it takes way too long to become recognised

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jan 22nd 2015 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:28 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
The IEC IS the easiest way to get in.

You have very little chance of getting someone to go to the trouble of getting an LMIA where you need to register as a nurse with no canadian work experience and then as others have said above upgrade your education. I know nurses that are youth workers/mental health workers out here on IEC as the process takes a long time to become a nurse

The UK may not be great but don't expect the grass to be greener on the other side either.

If I return to the UK, I'm going to upgrading my education to become an RN but I know canada will not be an option for me after this as it takes way too long to become recognised
I almost wonder whether it is easier to get a diploma recognised in Canada but seeing as I haven't heard yet I can't comment... Nursing is on or was on the List but sadly entirely different to getting to work here.

Actually op it's a good point, the easiest place to live in Canada is the one where you can support yourself and work. The provinces do have different licensing requirements so maybe research that, it might make your decision easier.