Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Calgary

Moving to Calgary

Old May 13th 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

scottishdave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Calgary

Hello everyone, just joined. There seems to be a lot of families that are moving to Canada. Do many single people. I have just been offered a job and I'm on my own. How hard will it be and is Calgary good for a night out as well as general living. Any advise would be great!!!!
Old May 13th 2008, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Calgary

Originally Posted by scottishdave
Hello everyone, just joined. There seems to be a lot of families that are moving to Canada. Do many single people. I have just been offered a job and I'm on my own. How hard will it be and is Calgary good for a night out as well as general living. Any advise would be great!!!!
No advice sorry but a big welcome to BE, there will be others along soon to welcome you remember the time difference ?

Im sure it would be great fun for a single guy, wish you well
Old May 13th 2008, 6:08 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dave.

Calgary is a great place to live, the city has really grown even in the two and a bit years since we have been here. Every neighborhood has restaurants and bars a plenty.

Stephen Ave downtown is really cool too, we where there last weekend for a friends birthday and I could not believe the amount of places to eat and drink down there.

As for being on your own don't worry about it, Calgary is a fun city and of course with Stampede coming up you are landing at the perfect time to meet people

Have you researched where you want to live, we live in the SW where we can be downtown in 30 minutes using the C-train LRT.

Any questions just ask.

Good luck. Steve
Old May 13th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scottishdave you can always join.

http://www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com/

or

http://calgarysportsclub.com/

Oh and welcome.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:26 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

If you have any interests .... anything at all!... you will most likely be able to find a group of people with the same interest, which is a good starting point to meet people outside of work.

Then you can get into more social groups. As anywhere though, if you sit at home feeling lonely you will be.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

A lot of people come to Calgary on their own to work from somewhere else, so you certainly won't be alone. Places like the Calgary Outdoor Club etc are really good for getting out and about in the mountains etc and pubs downtown and on 17th ave are generally friendly and pretty social.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and good luck
Old May 13th 2008, 7:59 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

all the single guys i know are here for the white stuff, and only for a finite term at that - you're right mostly families & couples making the jump

depends on what life you have in Scotland, and what your expectations are for Calgary,and your age - much younger crowd at bars/clubs here i find
Old May 13th 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
Hi Dave.

Calgary is a great place to live, the city has really grown even in the two and a bit years since we have been here. Every neighborhood has restaurants and bars a plenty.

Stephen Ave downtown is really cool too, we where there last weekend for a friends birthday and I could not believe the amount of places to eat and drink down there.

As for being on your own don't worry about it, Calgary is a fun city and of course with Stampede coming up you are landing at the perfect time to meet people

Have you researched where you want to live, we live in the SW where we can be downtown in 30 minutes using the C-train LRT.

Any questions just ask.

Good luck. Steve
Thanks for the reassurance. It's all nerve racking but exciting. I was wondering about places to live. The company i am coming to work for will pay for a hotel for the first month. I will be working out close to the airport so would like not to have to commute to far when I rent a place. Is there anywhere that you would recommend not to live.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
all the single guys i know are here for the white stuff, and only for a finite term at that - you're right mostly families & couples making the jump

depends on what life you have in Scotland, and what your expectations are for Calgary,and your age - much younger crowd at bars/clubs here i find
Not sure what my expectations are but I have enjoyed my last two visits to Canada and don't have much love for the UK at present. I am 26 at the moment and it seemed like a very good time to take up an offer of employment.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by smelly
Hi Scottishdave you can always join.

http://www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com/

or

http://calgarysportsclub.com/

Oh and welcome.
Thanks for the websites, exactly the kind of thing I would be looking for.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reassurance. It's all nerve racking but exciting. I was wondering about places to live. The company i am coming to work for will pay for a hotel for the first month. I will be working out close to the airport so would like not to have to commute to far when I rent a place. Is there anywhere that you would recommend not to live.
The airport is in the northeast, which is the one area that everyone recommends you avoid living in! Watching the news in Calgary, you get the same communities in the northeast coming up time and time again. Your best bet would probably be the northwest, which is generally good right up to the north centre area, which is also pretty close to the airport.

I'm moving out with my wife in August, and plan to live in the SW, or possibly NW and will be buying, so I don't know a great deal about the rental market.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Hi scottish dave

We came out to Calgary as a family but there are lots of young people out here, so I am sure you will fit in.

We live in far NW and I work out near airport, sort of south east of it. Commuting from far NW is a bit bothersome at the mo as 64th and 32nd both have bridge works which are a PITA. I do like skirting Nosehill park and see deer about one day in three. Because a lot of people come out of the north east (cos they don't want to live there) going west, the routes to get across deerfoot can be pretty bad. Probably areas like Country Hills, Panorama Hills, Harvest Hills would be quite a quick commute depending on where exactly you will be, and these communities are fine I think. BUT these are sort of family surburban areas and whilst I have seen some condos there I would think you might be a bit happier nearer the action. The younger guys in the office tend to live further south, towards the downtown and I think the commutes aren't too bad as they are going slightly against the flow. A few bike in as well from downtown area, along the path system. I would suggest going down near marda loop, beltline or kensington area for a bit more fun maybe, or really any of the closer in/ inner city areas? But haven't been here that long myself, so not in a fab position to advise. I wouldn't however particulary advise living in the north east- fine to work there though

Gryph
Old May 14th 2008, 8:16 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scottish Dave

I wanted to say hi and welcome.

My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Calgary and we have no children as of yet.

I would have thought that just as many single people would emigrate though, just need to find them.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

niksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant futureniksagkram has a brilliant future

Welcome Scottish Dave. You are moving to a great city. I live about an hour north, but go to Calgary quite often. The only thing it has going against it is the hockey team!! GO OILERS GO!! (Edmonton)

Will you be driving once you get here? Have you considered living just out side Calgary? Airdrie is a very short commute, and, right now seems to be growing and prospering. Just a 10-15 min drive to the airport.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.