Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Calgary in 4 weeks

Moving to Calgary in 4 weeks

Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:13 am
Still here!

hmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to behold
Default Moving to Calgary in 4 weeks

Hello All

I have accepted a job offer and will be moving at the end of March. My new employer is relocating me and my family. They are giving upto 30 days accommodation. Then we need to find a place to rent.

Can i get by without a car for the first 90 days ? I don't mind public transport.
Which areas should i avoid ?

I'll be working on 5ave SW. I've heard Scarboro is a nice area and not too far from my office.

Kids are 4 & 2 years old. OH wants to be a lady of leisure , so we might need childcare nearby.

We are very excited.

Hmac
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Calgary in 4 weeks

Living in Calgary, with a young family, without any car at all would be nigh-on impossible. Just getting the groceries alone would give me palpatations. Then start thinking about all those trips to buy "stuff" that you need for your new home. Public transit won't cut it. I wouldn't want to carry a toaster and new kettle and a mop on the C-train.

You might be OK with using transit for getting to and from work, depending on where you live - but otherwise, the city is built to workship at the altar of the vehicle, like most North American cities.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmac
Hello All

I have accepted a job offer and will be moving at the end of March. My new employer is relocating me and my family. They are giving upto 30 days accommodation. Then we need to find a place to rent.

Can i get by without a car for the first 90 days ? I don't mind public transport.

I'll be working on 5ave SW. I've heard Scarboro is a nice area and not too far from my office.

Kids are 4 & 2 years old. OH wants to be a lady of leisure , so we might need childcare nearby.

We are very excited.

Hmac
You will likely be able to travel to that work location using the C-Train from most locations in Calgary (depending upon where on 5 Avenue you are working).

What will suit you is a judgement call only you and your family can make. You need to come looksy
Old Feb 27th 2012, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

Hello All

We are very excited.

Hmac
Congrats Think I'd go with ann m on this.
Good luck with the move
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:06 pm
Still here!

hmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to beholdhmac is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your replies. A car it is then.

I have been looking, but i've no idea what to choose when using the Autotrader web site. Guess we'd be better off looking around once we are in Calgary.

I you do see somebody on the C-train with a mop, please say hi

Hmac
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Kijiji for classifieds/car buying etc. Quite often more selection that the more expensive autotrader. Good luck with your move
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

I have been looking, but i've no idea what to choose when using the Autotrader web site. Guess we'd be better off looking around once we are in Calgary.

Hmac
We arrive in Calgary on 17th March - have a hire car for 2 weeks, so will be handing it back around when u arrive :P
Hopefully will have a car sorted so will let you know how we fare

Oh, and if I see you on the C-train with a mop then we are both made of fail... :O
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

I'd echo what the others have said: You need a car in my opinion.

Bring: proof of NCB from the UK & DVLA driver's abstract.

Be prepared for used cars to be more expensive than they are in the UK as well as insurance!

Good luck!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are working downtown, I would recommend using calgary transit to get to work - a monthly pass costs $95 and is far cheaper than paying for parking. Calgary has one of the most expensive parking rates in North America.

If you go to the Calgary transit website, you can see where the Ctrain stations are (there are also BRT commuter busses that go from various communities too). Work out the most convenient place to live and look for a house there.

Beyond that, I would say you NEED a car. esp if you are going to be ferrying 2 younglings around. Even if it is just a cheap runabout from Kijiji, I would recommend you get one.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Hmac
I see a mini van in your future
Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with the move,and yes I agree a car is a must!
We hired one for the first ten days, before we bought our Jeep.
x
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:15 pm
Still here!

Originally Posted by Chookie
If you are working downtown, I would recommend using calgary transit to get to work - a monthly pass costs $95 and is far cheaper than paying for parking. Calgary has one of the most expensive parking rates in North America.

If you go to the Calgary transit website, you can see where the Ctrain stations are (there are also BRT commuter busses that go from various communities too). Work out the most convenient place to live and look for a house there.

Beyond that, I would say you NEED a car. esp if you are going to be ferrying 2 younglings around. Even if it is just a cheap runabout from Kijiji, I would recommend you get one.
Hello Chookie

I down loaded the map the other day.

Dont know if i can get a cheap runabout past the OH
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:17 pm
Still here!

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Good luck with the move,and yes I agree a car is a must!
We hired one for the first ten days, before we bought our Jeep.
x
Thanks

There's just some much choice, i just want something reliable.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:21 pm
Still here!

Originally Posted by justkidding
I see a mini van in your future
Is there such a thing as a V8 minivan
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Emergencybutton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Great to see all the comments, My Family and I are moving over in July to Calgary and was interested in knowing how everyone got all the bits in place, I'm moving with work so they are dealing with Immigration and I plan a pre-move visit to secure a home and school for my 6 year old Daughter.
How long do you think we need to hire a car for 2 or 4 weeks.
I want to look for a home in the NW or SW areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.