Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:37 pm   #16
jsinco 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 5
jsinco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
You can't find a pub where you can walk in and order at the bar? I did that all the time when I lived in Toronto.
No, not at all. You have to wait to be seated, then given a menu. If you dont want food the service is awful. Plus, if i sit at the bar i need to tip for paying over the odds for a pint. No thanks.

Walk in, order, pay the amount it costs and take seat where you like. That's the way it should be
jsinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:53 pm   #17
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 3,152
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
No, not at all. You have to wait to be seated, then given a menu. If you dont want food the service is awful. Plus, if i sit at the bar i need to tip for paying over the odds for a pint. No thanks.

Walk in, order, pay the amount it costs and take seat where you like. That's the way it should be
That's the way it works in North America, you tip almost everyone in the service industry. Even if you sat down and got waitress service, the barman would still receive tips as the serving staff give a percentage of their tips to the bar staff, dishwashers etc.

Going back to the bar situation, I can walk into my local pub where there is no hostess at the front door. Go straight up to the bar, order a pint, tip him a loonie, and then find a seat.

Once I have a seat, I rather enjoy the waitress service for the rest of the evening.
__________________
A family with the wrong members in control; that, perhaps, is as near as one can come to describing England in a phrase.
Danny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:09 pm   #18
Oink Male
.
Premium Member
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 19,233
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Canada is one of the most urbanized countries in the world. Most of the population lives in a few cities dotted along a band an hour and half from the US border. Income tax is high because of double dipping between federal and provincial plus, there's a ton of secondary taxes that nibble away at your salary. So unless you're farmer or don't want a job you have to live in or around a big metro center. Plus, its naffing dull. In terms of lifestyle between Edinburgh and Toronto I think it's a no brainer.
Oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:28 pm   #19
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,684
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
No, not at all. You have to wait to be seated, then given a menu. If you dont want food the service is awful. Plus, if i sit at the bar i need to tip for paying over the odds for a pint. No thanks.

Walk in, order, pay the amount it costs and take seat where you like. That's the way it should be

Tipping is customary - that's just part of life in Canada. But there are loads of places where you can walk up to the bar and get a drink. I used to frequent the Rose & Crown and the Duke of Kent at Yonge & Eglinton.
__________________
Citizen of Ireland, UK, Canada and USA

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 29th 2017 at 8:26 pm.
MarylandNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:39 pm   #20
BE Forum Addict
 
Paul_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Was Kinver, South Staffs, then Cambridge Ontario, now Peterborough Ontario.
Posts: 1,248
Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
Hello all

I moved to canada in 2010, to Toronto, since then i have a good job with a good pension, married and have a good house. I am however always homesick and miss Scotland. I was born in edinburgh and moved over when i was 25, and now i need to convince my canadian wife to move.

I am tired of it here, its overcrowded, taxes are getting crazy and driving is really really frustrating.

I miss the little things about the UK - the landscape, being close to the ocean, less overcrowded and simply going to the pub for a pint and ordering at the bar.

I will have to give up a lot and its seems crazy so im wondering if anyone has regretted moving back or can give me advice on this

thanks

Joe

As a few other posters have said on here....I think its Toronto thats your problem....its an in your face, crowded, big city, and its not for everyone. I enjoy my visits to Toronto for various reasons, but I couldn't live there now. Canada is a huge country, I think relocating in Canada may be something to try first...

Im not saying that you will, but many people that move back to the UK often regret it, and you have to consider your wife too? Seriously try the Maritimes, or a more rural part of Ontario. If I am honest I enjoy city and country, but they are like two different worlds.
__________________
"regret what you have done.....not what you haven't..."
Paul_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:16 pm   #21
jsinco 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 5
jsinco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Canada is one of the most urbanized countries in the world. Most of the population lives in a few cities dotted along a band an hour and half from the US border. Income tax is high because of double dipping between federal and provincial plus, there's a ton of secondary taxes that nibble away at your salary. So unless you're farmer or don't want a job you have to live in or around a big metro center. Plus, its naffing dull. In terms of lifestyle between Edinburgh and Toronto I think it's a no brainer.
Finally someone who understands how much we are taxed here. one of the reason i moved here was to pay less taxes, but its not much different from the UK.

I also think Toronto is dull, if you go about 2 hours (4 with the traffic) you get to a nice forrest. If you go 2 hours from Edinburgh you get to the highlands, seaside, another large city.

Transit also bother me, in scotland i could travel by train everywhere. There are no trains outside the GTA here, I cant go to Muskoka by train or to Port perry for a day.
jsinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:22 pm   #22
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,684
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
Transit also bother me, in scotland i could travel by train everywhere. There are no trains outside the GTA here, I cant go to Muskoka by train or to Port perry for a day.

Have you heard of Via Rail? For example, you can take a train from Toronto to Montreal.
__________________
Citizen of Ireland, UK, Canada and USA
MarylandNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:28 pm   #23
jsinco 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 5
jsinco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Yes I have, an over priced service that runs slower than steam trains, and I want to get outside cities. Hence Muskoka, No via trains run anywhere but major cities.
jsinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:39 pm   #24
Born again atheist
Premium Member
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 29,154
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Tipping is customary - that's just part of life in Canada. But there are loads of places where you can walk up to the bar and get a drink. I used to frequent the Rose & Crown and the Duke of Kent at Yonge & Eglinton.
Not just in Canada. Last night on the ferry from Amsterdam back to Newcastle, I ordered (at my seat) a pint of Guinness which cost 4.99 euros.

Whipping out a 5 euro note, I magnanimously told the (Dutch) waiter that he could keep the change.

We both had a chuckle.
__________________
Pendelfahrer zwischen Frankreich und England.
Novocastrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:39 pm   #25
Every day's a school day
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Was Calgary back in Edmonton again !!
Posts: 2,524
cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
Finally someone who understands how much we are taxed here. one of the reason i moved here was to pay less taxes, but its not much different from the UK.

I also think Toronto is dull, if you go about 2 hours (4 with the traffic) you get to a nice forrest. If you go 2 hours from Edinburgh you get to the highlands, seaside, another large city.

Transit also bother me, in scotland i could travel by train everywhere. There are no trains outside the GTA here, I cant go to Muskoka by train or to Port perry for a day.
yep i would choose Edinburgh over Toronto everyday of the week..i agree about the pub situation and transit..traffic not so much traffic in the UK is the pits esp in the summer
__________________
AOR 13 Jan 05
90 Day letter 8 Dec 06
Updated info sent 31st Jan 07. med request 25th July 07..meds done 23rd Aug 07..PPR 1st Oct 07..Visas 7th Nov 07..landed Apr 08
cheeky_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:52 pm   #26
~~*Checksum*~~
Moderator
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 13,181
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
Yes I have, an over priced service that runs slower than steam trains, and I want to get outside cities. Hence Muskoka, No via trains run anywhere but major cities.
There are other trains.

http://www.agawatrain.com/

http://www.sinfin.net/railways/world...a/ontario.html

http://www.traintraveling.com/canada...x.html#ontario

Maps / Rail Atlas
__________________
"Checksums are often used to verify data integrity"

http://www.suzisukarma.com/gallery.html .. Share the moments - share the memories - share the love!

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 29th 2017 at 10:57 pm.
Siouxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:39 pm   #27
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Orton, Ontario
Posts: 1,542
HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
Yes I have, an over priced service that runs slower than steam trains, and I want to get outside cities. Hence Muskoka, No via trains run anywhere but major cities.
Buses do though. I know you can get a bus from Toronto to the Kawarthas expect you can to Muskoka too. If you are homesick, I totally understand that, but I did have a chuckle when you said you wanted to go back to the UK because of overcrowding in Canada. Toronto is busy, but not very far out and it's really quiet. We are in a rural area about 20 mins outside Guelph, an hour to Pearson airport. There are no traffic or overcrowding issues here. It's a 6 minute walk to our nearest neighbour.
__________________
Work Permit 2004, PR 2007, Citizenship application September 2009, Citizenship Ceremony February 2011
www.youroakvillehome.com
HGerchikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:57 am   #28
scilly Female
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,493
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

I've known several people who moved back after 3, 5, 15 years because they missed "whatever" in the UK so much ...................

and then regretted leaving Canada, because the UK they moved back to was not the UK they left, friends had moved on, and they realised what they had left behind.


Take an unpaid leave of absence, if possible, go back for 3 months with your wife, and see how like living back there vs visiting for 2 or 3 weeks. The decide whether you still like it as much "back there" .............. and whether your wife would be willing to live there.


Travel around Canada and see what the rest of the country is like


and realise that Canada is a huge country, with a small population hence cannot support a transit network such as you think you are missing.
scilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 11:07 am   #29
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 68
glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scilly View Post
I've known several people who moved back after 3, 5, 15 years because they missed "whatever" in the UK so much ...................

and then regretted leaving Canada, because the UK they moved back to was not the UK they left, friends had moved on, and they realised what they had left behind.


Take an unpaid leave of absence, if possible, go back for 3 months with your wife, and see how like living back there vs visiting for 2 or 3 weeks. The decide whether you still like it as much "back there" .............. and whether your wife would be willing to live there.


Travel around Canada and see what the rest of the country is like


and realise that Canada is a huge country, with a small population hence cannot support a transit network such as you think you are missing.
Very sound advice. I have lived in 5 different countries (UK, USA, Sweden, Belgium and Germany). Each place has its Pros and Cons. When I lived in the USA I missed a lot of the things you mentioned back home, e.g. Enjoying a pint in a country pub, walking down country lanes listening to the wildlife chirpy away. However, after being away for 3 years and returning, I remembered WHY I left in the first place. Grey skies, depressed looking people alway moaning about something, train delays (especially around London) etc etc etc

FYI...we were in south west Ontario for the last 2 weeks. Toronto is a great place to visit, but not so great to live. (a bit like London, UK). We found St Catherines and Barrie to be similar to Bournemouth in the UK. Both St Catherines and Barrie are near a lake, they are large enough to have all the amenities close by and only 1-1.5 hours from Toronto and the International airport.
glendem4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 11:49 am   #30
dbd33 
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 35,538
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendem4 View Post
Very sound advice. I have lived in 5 different countries (UK, USA, Sweden, Belgium and Germany). Each place has its Pros and Cons. When I lived in the USA I missed a lot of the things you mentioned back home, e.g. Enjoying a pint in a country pub, walking down country lanes listening to the wildlife chirpy away. However, after being away for 3 years and returning, I remembered WHY I left in the first place. Grey skies, depressed looking people alway moaning about something, train delays (especially around London) etc etc etc

FYI...we were in south west Ontario for the last 2 weeks. Toronto is a great place to visit, but not so great to live. (a bit like London, UK). We found St Catherines and Barrie to be similar to Bournemouth in the UK. Both St Catherines and Barrie are near a lake, they are large enough to have all the amenities close by and only 1-1.5 hours from Toronto and the International airport.
I haven't been to Bournemouth for donkey's but I was in Eastbourne this week. For scenery, amenities, cultural life, architecture and the sense of youthful dynamism, it's far better than Barrie. Bournemouth must be comparable in terms of things to do, it even has a football team. Barrie did have one the largest marijuana factories ever discovered but that's gone now. It does have the ugliest high street I've seen, just edging out Cambridge Ontario, but I don't know what else distinguishes it from Scarborough or Mississauga except a less convenient location. I would choose Edinburgh over Barrie.
dbd33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 5:09 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com