Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Canada

Moving back to UK from Canada

Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

jsinco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from Canada

Hello all

I moved to canada in 2010, to Toronto, since then i have a good job with a good pension, married and have a good house. I am however always homesick and miss Scotland. I was born in edinburgh and moved over when i was 25, and now i need to convince my canadian wife to move.

I am tired of it here, its overcrowded, taxes are getting crazy and driving is really really frustrating.

I miss the little things about the UK - the landscape, being close to the ocean, less overcrowded and simply going to the pub for a pint and ordering at the bar.

I will have to give up a lot and its seems crazy so im wondering if anyone has regretted moving back or can give me advice on this

thanks

Joe
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Originally Posted by jsinco
Hello all

I moved to canada in 2010, to Toronto, since then i have a good job with a good pension, married and have a good house. I am however always homesick and miss Scotland. I was born in edinburgh and moved over when i was 25, and now i need to convince my canadian wife to move.

I am tired of it here, its overcrowded, taxes are getting crazy and driving is really really frustrating.

I miss the little things about the UK - the landscape, being close to the ocean, less overcrowded and simply going to the pub for a pint and ordering at the bar.

I will have to give up a lot and its seems crazy so im wondering if anyone has regretted moving back or can give me advice on this

thanks

Joe
Hi there and welcome to BE.

You have placed this into the Canada forum.
would you prefer this in the UK forum where you will find others that have moved back to the UK from Canada?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Canada overcrowded Now granted downtown Toronto has the largest population but come on overcrowded
Sure Scotland isn't as populated but being able to fit the UK into one of the Great Lakes that has double the population of Canada I must disagree.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

*blink*

Your proposed solution to (1) overcrowding (2) high taxes (3) frustrating driving is moving to *Britain*?!

Now, admittedly, living in Toronto wouldn't be my idea of fun (nor New York, both of which I'm grounding from a period of hell when I had to be stuck in London for a while), but staying in the country and going to a different part of it would probably solve most of those problems, without exacerbating them, or the pain of moving someone to Britain (don't forget, you'd need to have a good job lined up or massive savings in order to be allowed to move your Canadian partner to the UK).

Admittedly, bar waitress service is a little weird and very common, but Canada has a lot of coastline you could move to be near...
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:31 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Overcrowded? Taxes? Nah. Have you been back for a visit? Maybe in winter?

Do you ever leave Toronto and enjoy all the countryside?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
...would you prefer this in the UK forum where you will find others that have moved back to the UK from Canada?
Looks like OP posted there too just after.

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
(don't forget, you'd need to have a good job lined up or massive savings in order to be allowed to move your Canadian partner to the UK)
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever leave Toronto and enjoy all the countryside?

Ontario doesn’t have the mountains and scenery such as in Alberta/BC, but within 150km east, west and north of Toronto there’s some very attractive scenery and pleasant small towns. Canada can’t/won’t ever be like the UK, nor should it try to be. Among the world’s countries the UK is unique. I have visited numerous of them but have never found another to compare. It is indeed a fair and pleasant land. At the time I left, 51 years ago, it wasn’t such a great place to live if one was poor, however the passing years have much improved its well being. I made a happy life here for my family and here I will stay until I pop my clogs.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:02 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all

thanks

Joe

Never heard that one before. What is it that you don't like about taking a seat in a bar and having a beautiful waitress come and take your order?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:47 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Never heard that one before. What is it that you don't like about taking a seat in a bar and having a beautiful waitress come and take your order?
Gets right on my thrupenny bits being met by a child with a huge menu showing me to a seat. The Tap and Barrel down by the seabus in North Van is an example. They get queues cos the 12 year olds at the door cant cope with more than two people at a time. Its massive inside!

We did it for 8 years then came back again. We're doing very well here but I still miss loads from home. Things are pretty uncertain at home these days
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Among the world’s countries the UK is unique.
Among the world's countries, every country is unique.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough

Well, I'm from Scotland, live in Edinburgh with Canadian wife. Want to swap?

More seriously though, having visited Canada many times, I would look to get out of Toronto and try somewhere else. And remember your wife will have culture shock in Scotland. And remember the weather.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all

thanks

Joe
Have you visited Nova Scotia yet... it's not overcrowded... taxes.. well.... leave that one.. driving is not frustrating.. I did Halifax at 'rushhour' in the morning.. bit like driving through or local town in UK midday... Nova Scotia, you are never far from coastline, scenery like Scotland and.. ok.. other folks have mentiond the pub thing.. but you might want to escape the Toronto thing.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 2:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seascape
Well, I'm from Scotland, live in Edinburgh with Canadian wife. Want to swap?
Sorry, this is not a wife swapping site, you may need to look elsewhere for that one!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Sorry, this is not a wife swapping site, you may need to look elsewhere for that one!

Although maybe a new section could be added under Canada!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

...and simply going to the pub for a pint and ordering at the bar.

You can't find a pub where you can walk in and order at the bar? I did that all the time when I lived in Toronto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.