Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to find a decent room for rent in Toronto?

How to find a decent room for rent in Toronto?

Old Oct 7th 2017, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

manishkhanna3002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find a decent room for rent in Toronto?

Hi

I have changed 10 homestays till now (cheap as well as expensive), does anyone has any idea about finding good furnished room for a reasonable price.

It looks as if rooms in homestays are for temporary stay (like 1 or 2 months) but if someone like to stay longer then what are the options? Where can I find a self sufficient and honest house owner in Toronto. Most are in debt so are greedy for money and dishonest.

I have tried staying in rooms as low in cost as CAD 500 and as high as CAD 1100 for a month but result is same, I am required to leave the place in a month or 2. The reason is that somewhere I am not comfortable to stay long in the home of the other person and somewhere they are not comfortable to keep me too long in their home.

I am not ready to sign a lease where I am bound legally for 8 months to an year and stay alone in whole apartment. I don't want to get into the hassle of doing lease for 8 months to an year where I am required to pay 3 to 6 months rent in advance and put all the furniture.

Is there any solution to my difficulty or there is no solution except to keeping moving from 1 homestay to another, packing and unpacking stuff again and again, paying the high cost of moving from 1 place to another and so on?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manish
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find a decent room for rent in Toronto?

Is there any reason why you won't commit to a 6 month-1 year lease? I've rented out rooms in apartments/houses I've been in before and wouldn't consider someone for such a short term option unless desperate. Interviewing people to stay with you can be a pain, and I'd assume a lot of people prefer financial security.
In regards to homestays, I know of a few people who have stayed for a year or more with them
Why not pick an apartment you like and stay there for a year? Then no hassle with moving
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Lorno Malvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manishkhanna3002
Hi

I have changed 10 homestays till now (cheap as well as expensive), does anyone has any idea about finding good furnished room for a reasonable price.

It looks as if rooms in homestays are for temporary stay (like 1 or 2 months) but if someone like to stay longer then what are the options? Where can I find a self sufficient and honest house owner in Toronto. Most are in debt so are greedy for money and dishonest.

I have tried staying in rooms as low in cost as CAD 500 and as high as CAD 1100 for a month but result is same, I am required to leave the place in a month or 2. The reason is that somewhere I am not comfortable to stay long in the home of the other person and somewhere they are not comfortable to keep me too long in their home.

I am not ready to sign a lease where I am bound legally for 8 months to an year and stay alone in whole apartment. I don't want to get into the hassle of doing lease for 8 months to an year where I am required to pay 3 to 6 months rent in advance and put all the furniture.

Is there any solution to my difficulty or there is no solution except to keeping moving from 1 homestay to another, packing and unpacking stuff again and again, paying the high cost of moving from 1 place to another and so on?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manish
Airbnb
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Airbnb are for short term stays only ................ and cities and provinces across Canada re tightening up on the regulations governing Airbnb because of the serious effect they have on long term rental accomodation.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Airbnb are for short term stays only ..............
Is that a Canadian ruling? It's certainly not the case in the UK.

OP, as an Air BnB host I think you'll struggle to find somebody to take you on with what you've outlined above i.e. to let you stay as long as you want but without any long term commitment on your part. After all, they may be turning other bookings down only for you to leave them if you change your mind, which is a big thing to ask. Most hosts will do a discount for longer term bookings, but you would need to commit to that length of time.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas ..............

The original intent of AirBnB was apparently for short stays as in a B&B but unlicensed and person to person, and according to the founder the idea was for hosts to advertise the one spare room that they might have. Poeple were doing that kind of thing online, on FB etc, he just "formalised" it.

Instead people in Canada (and probably elsewhere) are buying multiple condos and letting them out on AirBnB ................. in other words, setting up an unlicensed business and making a mint. Much more money is made by short-term lets than letting on long-term. A "normal" rental of a 2 bedroom condo might be $1500-2000 in Vancouver ........... each night of an AiBnB rental was $100-150. Add it up!!!!!

One guy in Vancouver was found to own 10 condos that he was advertising on AirBnB. Other condo owners in the buildings were not happy, and were really unhappy when thefts from their secured storage area began to happen when the "renters" found a means of getting into there.

...... so yes, it is regarded as short-term rental here.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Bunz Home Zone, Viewit.ca, Kijiji/craigslist are some good starting points. You can also end lease earlyby subletting in certain circumstances
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is that a Canadian ruling? It's certainly not the case in the UK.
Well it certainly *is* the case in London. 90 days per year maximum, enforced by AirBnB.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1340/i-rent-out-my-home-in-london--what-short-term-rental-laws-apply
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
Well it certainly *is* the case in London. 90 days per year maximum, enforced by AirBnB.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/articl...tal-laws-apply
That's only for whole house rentals, not a room which is what the OP was asking about, and only for people that don't have permission from their local council.

If somebody is renting a whole house and wants it full all year round (we only rent ours when we're away on holiday), then I'd be surprised if they'd look at Air BnB anyway, most will just do a 'normal' letting agreement.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by scilly
A "normal" rental of a 2 bedroom condo might be $1500-2000 in Vancouver ........... each night of an AiBnB rental was $100-150. Add it up!!!!!
I've added it up, but I can't see why anybody would want the extra hassle for the small amount extra that may be made personally.

If I rented on a nightly basis, then even if I rented it 30 nights per month (highly unlikely), the hassle of having to respond to repeated enquiries, messages, dealing with bookings, and the cost of having to get a daily cleaner and linen service wouldn't make it worth my while personally.

I'm amazed that people think it's worth it! We get a reasonable income from Air BnB, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it full-time.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

That's only for whole house rentals, not a room which is what the OP was asking about, and only for people that don't have permission from their local council.

If somebody is renting a whole house and wants it full all year round (we only rent ours when we're away on holiday), then I'd be surprised if they'd look at Air BnB anyway, most will just do a 'normal' letting agreement.
Gotcha. Sorry, yes my only experience is renting out entire property.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

I've added it up, but I can't see why anybody would want the extra hassle for the small amount extra that may be made personally.

If I rented on a nightly basis, then even if I rented it 30 nights per month (highly unlikely), the hassle of having to respond to repeated enquiries, messages, dealing with bookings, and the cost of having to get a daily cleaner and linen service wouldn't make it worth my while personally.

I'm amazed that people think it's worth it! We get a reasonable income from Air BnB, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it full-time.
Yes once empty days, utilities, council tax, boadband, etc, etc taken into account I don't make any more than letting on an AST, but the flexibility of being able to use the property when needed is good.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Will_PA
Yes once empty days, utilities, council tax, boadband, etc, etc taken into account I don't make any more than letting on an AST, but the flexibility of being able to use the property when needed is good.
True, would be handy I guess to be able to use it yourselves. But still too much hassle for me to deal with ad hoc bookings all the time for a whole house, I guess I'm a low maintenance landlady.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, some people here are making enough to live extremely well without otherwise working.

They run it as a business, rent each condo for as many nights per month as they can, and probably hire some poor immigrant at a peanut wage to go in and clean.

The man who owned the 10 condos was apparently bringing in several thousand dollars a month (according to the media reports).

However Vancouver City Council is bringing in a by-law that all AirBnB must be licensed, and will be restricted to the short term rental of a bedroom in a house or a house where the occupants are on holiday for a short period of time (no time is set for this that I have seen, but would would presume a month would be fine, 6 months not!) .......... and AirBnB themselves agree with this being done.

Just as a side note .......... there was a very gory murder here about 2 weeks ago, no apparent motive, 60+ year old house owners did have an AirBnB suite in their basement. One possible avenue being explored has been whether someone rented that and then returned, or whether it was a break and enter gone wrong.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

To go back to the original question:

OP should look for “room rental” “room to rent” “roommate”, & possibly “sublet” when searching. I think that there may be an ESL language thing happening if s/he is looking for “home stay”, which generally (but not always) can imply a short or temporary stay.