Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Canada

Moving back to UK from Canada

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I long for the day Britain follow's BC's lead, and makes being in the overtaking lane when you're not overtaking a driving offence!
I haven't driven enough in BC to know if this has worked, I wouldn't think it to be needed in the UK. Is there now autobahnish lane discipline in BC?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't driven enough in BC to know if this has worked, I wouldn't think it to be needed in the UK. Is there now autobahnish lane discipline in BC?
It hasn't. Roads are still full of dumb-asses that drive in the outside lane, some given right as they are 'doing the speed limit' so nobody should need to pass them!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wouldn't say it worked in BC, but I'd say it's needed at least as much in the UK
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:11 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say it worked in BC, but I'd say it's needed at least as much in the UK
its not..i used to drive 25k -30k miles a year iin the UK and lane etiquette on the whole is pretty good..apart from caravans of course..i like the fact large trucks are restricted to 56mph and can not use the outside lane..that would be good in Canada
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I long for the day Britain follow's BC's lead, and makes being in the overtaking lane when you're not overtaking a driving offence!

I totally agree with you! and what dbd33 said..... lane discipline doesn't exist, I enjoy living in Canada, but this is one of my pet peeves.....the 401 is a huge pile up waiting to happen, I am really surprised there are not more accidents on there, Its terrible.

Lane discipline is way more important to driving than the speed you are travelling at....speed only becomes a dangerous issue when there is no order to driving.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsinco
Hello all

I moved to canada in 2010, to Toronto, since then i have a good job with a good pension, married and have a good house. I am however always homesick and miss Scotland. I was born in edinburgh and moved over when i was 25, and now i need to convince my canadian wife to move.

I am tired of it here, its overcrowded, taxes are getting crazy and driving is really really frustrating.

I miss the little things about the UK - the landscape, being close to the ocean, less overcrowded and simply going to the pub for a pint and ordering at the bar.

I will have to give up a lot and its seems crazy so im wondering if anyone has regretted moving back or can give me advice on this

thanks

Joe
You'll only regret it if you don't do it. It's kind of like moving to Canada in the first place.

7 years is more than a decent stint here.

Edinburgh is booming and regarded as the best place to live in the UK.

Take it on and go.

Canada is expensive and wages are low. The place is also over run with immigrants. You'll likely not miss it.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:45 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You can't find a pub where you can walk in and order at the bar? I did that all the time when I lived in Toronto.
Unless I get distracted by a particularly good conversation I always go up to the bar in my local.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It already is. https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/k...-lane-hogging/
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Once upon a time there were a lot of passenger train lines in Canada. I think there used to be a trainline up to Collingwood, ON for example. There was even a train line that went up to Grouse Mountain in Vancouver. After WWII passenger rail transport was scaled back massively due to the rise of the car.

This is the only G7 country which doesn't have a dedicated passenger rail track. CN Rail freight trains get priority on the track which causes delays. There are finally plans for VIA to build a dedicated electric passenger train line in the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor.

Only G7 country ..........NOPE!!

Amtrak in the US is also runs passenger trains on tracks owned by freight companies ............... but down there, there are still many freight rail companies, so travelling and keeping to time on long distance passenger trains can be just as difficult as in Canada.

Both VIA and Amtrak have disclaimers on their booking sites recommending that one does not book onward travel on the day of arrival after a long distance trip.

My only question is ......... who will pay for the dedicated VIA track in the Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto Corridor?? VIA is a government agency ............. which means thee and me will pay to fund the billions necessary.

Just as a point of interest .......

.......... we find that VIA trains in the Corridor are not often delayed by more than a few minutes. The longest delay we have had over 13 years of travelling that corridor was caused by faulty sensors on the train indicating that connections between carriages were frozen.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oooh! I stand corrected, and adjust the line to "I long for the day when the police sit on any UK motorway and use those powers to eliminate the deficit".
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

weves is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesM
Canada is expensive and wages are low. The place is also over run with immigrants. You'll likely not miss it.
Says the immigrant... maybe we found the reason why your wages are low.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weves
Says the immigrant... maybe we found the reason why your wages are low.

I think you might find out that JamesM was being a little, shall we say, sarcastic?!!!

Canada certainly has far too many immigrants complaining that this isn't like "home", wherever "home" was!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:51 am
Just Joined

weves is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scilly
I think you might find out that JamesM was being a little, shall we say, sarcastic?!!!

Canada certainly has far too many immigrants complaining that this isn't like "home", wherever "home" was!
You don't put one sarcastic sentence in the middle of an otherwise normal post. I hope you're right, but still sounds like your common or garden hypocritical entitled British xenophobia bull shit to me!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 4:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weves
You don't put one sarcastic sentence in the middle of an otherwise normal post. I hope you're right, but still sounds like your common or garden hypocritical entitled British xenophobia bull shit to me!
Why not? Guaranteed to catch out some plonker!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I did feel JamesM's comment was a little out of place. The sarcasm to me seems directed at the OP as if the OP had made a disparaging remark about immigrants, but the OP hasn't and so the comment seems uncalled for.

He has simply said Canada isn't for him, which is fair enough and the forum is here for sharing experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.