Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

lady lord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK

There seems to be so many negative comments here.

We recently received our visas and are looking forward to embarking on a new chapter.

I know that food in the UK is cheap in comparison with every other country, and that's down to competition. Not many countries have the choice we have, but it that what life is all about?

I don't think I'll miss those 2 for 1 offers on junk food. Because of this we buy too much, eat too much and even throw too much away, shameful.

For alot of Brits an exciting day out is shopping. We shop till we drop every weekend, kids hanging around malls and complaining there is nothing to do.

Alchohol is too cheap and it will rise because we're heading for higher taxes. Each country has its own merits and if Canada is so expensive in comparison to the UK why do so many people live there and want to live there? and being quoted as one of the best countries to live in? and why are so many people in the UK up to their eyeballs in debt?

rant tastic!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lady lord

We recently received our visas and are looking forward to embarking on a new chapter.

I know that food in the UK is cheap in comparison with every other country, and that's down to competition. Not many countries have the choice we have, but it that what life is all about?

I don't think I'll miss those 2 for 1 offers on junk food. Because of this we buy too much, eat too much and even throw too much away, shameful.

For alot of Brits an exciting day out is shopping. We shop till we drop every weekend, kids hanging around malls and complaining there is nothing to do.

Alchohol is too cheap and it will rise because we're heading for higher taxes. Each country has its own merits and if Canada is so expensive in comparison to the UK why do so many people live there and want to live there? and being quoted as one of the best countries to live in? and why are so many people in the UK up to their eyeballs in debt?

rant tastic!!
Don't ignore what people write here, they don't make it up you know.

re expensive, once you get here it's hard to go back. Shops sell rubbish compared to the UK - unless you pay big bucks. Kids hang around the Malls here too, its just that if the Mall is 40km away and there is no public transport its easier to go and smoke dope at a bush party.

You will miss the 2 for 1 offers. I know I do when I have to shop at No Frills.

Ah what the heck, keep your rose tinted specs on, I really don't give a toss.

Rant all you like, it won't alter the experiences that people post on here.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:42 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

rant tastic!!
Debt here is much the same as the UK, as I suspect is the case with most places these days. I do think there is a healthier way of life here (Vancouver) compared to the UK, although i comes down to you anway and the choices you make.

Its fine wanting to come here, but don't expect much difference in way of life on a day to day basis. Outside of that it's really down to you.

There are a lot of experiences based on certain areas on here. Canada is vast place and you really have to get a feel for yourself. I suspect life in Nova Scotia is different to Ontario which is again altogether different than BC.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus

re expensive, once you get here it's hard to go back. Shops sell rubbish compared to the UK - unless you pay big bucks. Kids hang around the Malls here too, its just that if the Mall is 40km away and there is no public transport its easier to go and smoke dope at a bush party.

I have to say that I for one do read comments like this and they are definitely working towards putting me off, especially as there seem to be more and more of them on forums like this one these days.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I have to say that I for one do read comments like this and they are definitely working towards putting me off, especially as there seem to be more and more of them on forums like this one these days.
You need to look at the big picture, and also note that most of those coming to Canada land and then become infrequent posters here. Its not all doom and gloom for everyone, but those where it turns out not to be a dream come true are more likely I think to come back here to warn the innocent.

Everyones different, you need to decide for yourself and try and keep in mind the reasons you decided you wanted to give Canada a go in the first place, as well as taking on board that its not perfect and that bad things can happen,and you will miss some things.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2010 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm only applying for Bunac at the moment anyway so I imagine at worst it will probably just turn out to be a one year experience of a new country before I come home or go elsewhere.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Everyones different, you need to decide for yourself and try and keep in mind the reasons you decided you wanted to give Canada a go in the first place.
The only reason I am coming to Canada is because I am married to a Canadian who wants to return. I think other ex-pats came to Canada for the same reason. I've lived in Canada for a year and felt at home there, but coming there to live permanently is altogether different. we ar coming to Nova Scotia in April and right now I'm feeling pretty emotional about the whole thing.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2010 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by James Martindale
It's a fair point.

The UK has been through a golden growth phase (fuelled by debt)........
Do you think the situation is different in Canada? Just recently, Mark Carney, the Governor of the Bank of Canada has recently expressed concerns about the high levels of household debt in Canada and has stated that it could undermine the stability of the banks here. The problems in Canada are the same as the UK, i.e. aging population, high debt levels, loss of manufacturing, pension funds running out of money, etc.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2010 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Do you think the situation is different in Canada? Just recently, Mark Carney, the Governor of the Bank of Canada has recently expressed concerns about the high levels of household debt in Canada and has stated that it could undermine the stability of the banks here. The problems in Canada are the same as the UK, i.e. aging population, high debt levels, loss of manufacturing, pension funds running out of money, etc.
Certainly debt levels in the UK far exceed those in Canada. But its individuals that take on debt, lets not blame either country. The canadian economy is largely resource based (oil, lumber, minerals), with a decent amount of manufacturing still. Its certainly not as service driven as the UK...you cant outsource resources. Canada's immigration driven expansion will in some ways help with any demographic shortfall.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2010 at 2:25 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

You should read what I wrote properly. Rant tastic was written in jest. I think that our shopping culture here is out of hand and it is has added to the massive debt we have. We are looking to expand the mind and see what another country has to offer. The world is a big place, but we would regret not trying something new.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Certainly debt levels in the UK far exceed those in Canada. But its individuals that take on debt, lets not blame either country.

I find that hard to believe, although I really don't know. I would imagine that schooling debts are higher in Canada (although the UK is catching them up rapidly) and I suspect that the number of toys that Canadians have are unlikely to have been paid for with cash.

Most people I know have a mortgage and most of those are a similar multiple of salary as were those of friends in the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:30 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

, I've never really been one for owning property or cars anyway as those things don't particularly interest me.
That may well change during your 12 months here

rant tastic!!

Well said Fled

Originally Posted by dboy
Debt here is much the same as the UK, as I suspect is the case with most places these days. I do think there is a healthier way of life here (Vancouver) compared to the UK, although i comes down to you anway and the choices you make.

Its fine wanting to come here, but don't expect much difference in way of life on a day to day basis
. Outside of that it's really down to you.

There are a lot of experiences based on certain areas on here. Canada is vast place and you really have to get a feel for yourself. I suspect life in Nova Scotia is different to Ontario which is again altogether different than BC.
Here speaketh a Wise Man

Originally Posted by iaink
Certainly debt levels in the UK far exceed those in Canada. But its individuals that take on debt, lets not blame either country. The canadian economy is largely resource based (oil, lumber, minerals), with a decent amount of manufacturing still. Its certainly not as service driven as the UK...you cant outsource resources. Canada's immigration driven expansion will in some ways help with any demographic shortfall.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Why does the cost of housing seem so high in BC when I've heard there are better salaries closer to Toronto? Is BC and particularly Vancouver more desirable?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
That may well change during your 12 months here

I hope not mate, I haven't got a license.

I have thought about learning whilst I'm over there actually, I would need to look more into the driving schools etc though. I imagine it's a lot cheaper to learn there and it's definitely a lot cheaper than learning in my girlfriend's homeland.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:36 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not mate, I haven't got a license.

I have thought about learning whilst I'm over there actually, I would need to look more into the driving schools etc though. I imagine it's a lot cheaper to learn there and it's definitely a lot cheaper than learning in my girlfriend's homeland.
I would personally struggle to live in BC without having the ability to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.