British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moved: English Prison Officers in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moved-english-prison-officers-canada-517626/)

The Gouks Feb 27th 2008 4:59 pm

Moved: English Prison Officers in Canada

Hi

Can anyone tell me if English Prison Officer qualifications are recognized in Canada???

Thank you

:)

Judy in Calgary Feb 27th 2008 5:11 pm

Re: English Prison Officers in Canada

Send a private message to Eddie, also known as Voyager970. He was a prison officer in Scotland. I don't know what kind of work he does in Canada, but I have a vague recollection that he switched fields when he got here.

The reason that I suggest sending him a private message is that I have not seen him around on the Canada forum much lately.
x

The Gouks Feb 27th 2008 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 5990727)
Send a private message to Eddie, also known as Voyager970. He was a prison officer in Scotland. I don't know what kind of work he does in Canada, but I have a vague recollection that he switched fields when he got here.

The reason that I suggest sending him a private message is that I have not seen him around on the Canada forum much lately.
x

Many thanks. I have sent a message, so will hopefully receive a reply.

Novocastrian Feb 27th 2008 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by The Gouks;
Many thanks. I have sent a message, so will hopefully receive a reply.

Another denizen of Richmond Hill? Things are looking up!

I'm pretty sure Mrs Miggins was a "correctional officer" in the UK. You could ask her, or perhaps she'll drop by uninvited.

Beastie Feb 27th 2008 5:25 pm

Re: Moved: English Prison Officers in Canada

The UK Prison Service is not the same as the UK Police Force. Canadian Police Force welcome applications from the UK and assist in the immigration process. You cannot apply to the Canadian Prison Service as a custodial officer unless you are already a permanent resident.

Lynne

Almost Canadian Feb 27th 2008 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by The Gouks (Post 5990668)
Can anyone tell me if English Prison Officer qualifications are recognized in Canada???

What qualifications ? When I went through the system in 1992 there were no "qualifications" to speak of. 9 weeks basic training and then a year as a probationer IIRC :thumbsup:

daft batty Feb 27th 2008 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Beastie (Post 5990782)
The UK Prison Service is not the same as the UK Police Force. Canadian Police Force welcome applications from the UK and assist in the immigration process. You cannot apply to the Canadian Prison Service as a custodial officer unless you are already a permanent resident.

Lynne

Doesnt it depend on whether its Federal or Provincial? So I assume you mean Federal for the "Canadian Prison Service" I think the Provincial you just need the correct work permit.

Both have websites with more info.

bobhope Feb 28th 2008 1:37 am

Well I was a Correction Officer for a bit at the Edmonton Remand Centre, you have to be a permanent resident, they seem to be advertising all the time in Alberta, look on the alberta gov job website. I started as a casual officer on full time hours, a bit of a second class amongst the full time officers, but it doesnt tke long to get on. Im not sure about the fed prisons, but as its a fed job, they employ citizens first! I think as long as you have equivelent to a high school education you would be good. Hope this helps. Bob

Voyager970 Feb 28th 2008 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 5990727)

x

Judy you have a great memory :cool:

Yip not been around on BE for a while, to busy with the new house that we bought a few months ago :thumbsup:

I have PM'ed the original poster ( The Gouks ), told them what I experienced and what I found out with regards the Corrections Dept in Ontario, so I hope this helps them

Eddie