Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Advice needed please!

HELP!!! Advice needed please!

Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

MrsH is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP!!! Advice needed please!

We are considering a move to NS from UK and have bookd a trip to go there in March to check it out. We have done quite a bit of research but would really like to know where good areas to live are for schooling and working (we have 1 19 month old son and DH is a plumber). We would like to be 1-2 hrs max from Halifax and in a semi-rural location but not isolated.
I'm also worried about being lonely when DH is at work, are there many groups for meeting up etc?
Any ideas, help or advice please?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!! Advice needed please!

Hi Mrs H....

Welcome to BE!!!

I don't know anything about NS, but I'm sure those that do will respond.

If you are new to the site, and haven't yet done so, read all the WIKI articles at the top of this page on Canada and the different provinces...

All the best with you move.

B
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

There have been loads of threads recently about areas to live in NS. Just use the search function and you will turn up masses of info.

This list http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of...tia?cat=travel will give you details of the size of communities and if you look at the WIKI on schooling you will find a link to details of schools in NS.

I am also going over in march. When are you going exactly? Are we on the same plane?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
There have been loads of threads recently about areas to live in NS. Just use the search function and you will turn up masses of info.

This list http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of...tia?cat=travel will give you details of the size of communities and if you look at the WIKI on schooling you will find a link to details of schools in NS.

I am also going over in march. When are you going exactly? Are we on the same plane?
Thanks so much for your help, have checked out the WIKI and theres so much great info on there.

We're flying out on the 20th March from Heathrow, what about you?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsH
We are considering a move to NS from UK and have bookd a trip to go there in March to check it out. We have done quite a bit of research but would really like to know where good areas to live are for schooling and working (we have 1 19 month old son and DH is a plumber). We would like to be 1-2 hrs max from Halifax and in a semi-rural location but not isolated.
I'm also worried about being lonely when DH is at work, are there many groups for meeting up etc?
Any ideas, help or advice please?
Hi,

You should also check out some of the tourist stuff to get an idea as to what is around.

Good luck
Roy

http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx
http://www.gov.ns.ca/dtc/tourism/tou...ections_fr.asp
http://www.movingincanada.com/NovaScotia/towns.htm
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsH
Thanks so much for your help, have checked out the WIKI and theres so much great info on there.

We're flying out on the 20th March from Heathrow, what about you?
Ditto.

You wan't to meet for coffee?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

welcome.... if youre both coming in March, can you bring me PG TIps! stop by for a cuppa and a chat at the Bed and Breakfast here in Halifax, weve had lots of newcomers from Uk already and lots more on the way... got a good network of people you can ask questions ....anyone going to Sandown show? I can give you some info on Nova Scotia stand 118
June
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Sure we can June!!! Where is yr b&b? It would be great to speak to others and ask some questions!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Mumford Bed and Breakfast Halifax...just google me ...
Let me know when you are arriving I'll put the kettle on and we can answer as many questions as we can....see us at www.bfic.com
June
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:45 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!! Great news that you are coming to NS and coming on the same flight as DNS! You will both have to wear red carnations, sun glasses and have a paper under your arm

There is so much to read in previous posts, you are going to be a while making up a long list of places to visit and squeeze in I imagine! I have absolutely no advice as we ourselves have only been here for 4 weeks and we look forward to DNS showing us her best finds! And you are coming over easter, so you will have to make sure that the EAster bunny visits your little one! We have 3 children, 2 boys of 10 and 5 and a little girl of 20 months, if you want to meet up, just say so and we could let the little ones play.

Good luck and welcome!!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:27 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
Mumford Bed and Breakfast Halifax...just google me ...
Let me know when you are arriving I'll put the kettle on and we can answer as many questions as we can....see us at www.bfic.com
June
the link takes you to a web page that's for sale
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

my apologies its www. bfic.net I should obviously go to bed earlier!
its the building futures in Canada site
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:42 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

my apologies its www. bfic.net I should obviously go to bed earlier!
its the building futures in Canada site
If I had my head screwed on properly I would have noticed you put the web address in the post, just me being lazy wanting to use a link . The B & B looks great, a real home from home.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks we are getting two or three Brits through a month on fact finding missions and also landing they are all keeping us well supplied with PG Tips..we try to provide a supportive environment for those that are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the whole process of emigrating...weve met some fantastic people and have quite a network going now with newly landed families dotted everywhere...
June
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:55 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Thanks we are getting two or three Brits through a month on fact finding missions and also landing they are all keeping us well supplied with PG Tips..we try to provide a supportive environment for those that are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the whole process of emigrating...weve met some fantastic people and have quite a network going now with newly landed families dotted everywhere...
June
Sounds like a good support system, well done. Remember us when we want to do the tour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.