Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal winters

Montreal winters

Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:41 am
Just Joined

reddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond reputereddflamingo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montreal winters

Originally Posted by xavier1955
I fail to see your preoccupation with the weather?

Yes it can be frigid but you can dress for it and least the homes are well heated

It is not exactly as it you were feeble and ancient

in Montreal we are cursed with hot humid virtually tropical summers and that has been the case since the nineties. I do not think that is the case in the UK. I think you should be more concerned with summer rather than winter.
It's not my physical reaction to winter I'm concerned about, it's my mental one, and nor was it really the temperature I was thinking about - it was the length of winter and the amount of sunshine compared to in the UK, which luckily people here have cleared up for me. I am significantly affected by winter here and if I thought it was going to be worse in Montreal then for me that would be a huge drawback to think about before I considered moving there.

And since the school year is September to April, I would barely be in Montreal during the summer so that's not a huge concern.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddflamingo
It's not my physical reaction to winter I'm concerned about, it's my mental one, and nor was it really the temperature I was thinking about - it was the length of winter and the amount of sunshine compared to in the UK, which luckily people here have cleared up for me. I am significantly affected by winter here and if I thought it was going to be worse in Montreal then for me that would be a huge drawback to think about before I considered moving there.

And since the school year is September to April, I would barely be in Montreal during the summer so that's not a huge concern.
I was last in London in late 1998 and early 1999

I remember that it was a while before I got to see the sun. Montreal winters are not dreary and overcast and when it gets mighty cold the sky is completely blue.

My last winter visit to London was a surprise to me as the dampness went to my bones even though I was wearing my warm Montreal winter boots.

On balance i figure our winters are more pleasant than those in London (although we do not really have a Spring as in Europe) and i have gotten quite used to the frigid arctic days we do get in winter.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I was last in London in late 1998 and early 1999

I remember that it was a while before I got to see the sun. Montreal winters are not dreary and overcast and when it gets mighty cold the sky is completely blue.

My last winter visit to London was a surprise to me as the dampness went to my bones even though I was wearing my warm Montreal winter boots.

On balance i figure our winters are more pleasant than those in London (although we do not really have a Spring as in Europe) and i have gotten quite used to the frigid arctic days we do get in winter.

People keep banging on about the weather, but the reality is that if you don't like winters, even Montreal won't make a difference for the OP. When it comes to sunshine hours the figures don't lie and November to February are worse than an average October & March in London.

The shortest day is 52 minutes brighter than in London and even if the sun is higher in Montreal, it still won't make a difference if you spend those 52 minutes commuting or have longer working hours than a location in the UK, or don't have a house that's facing the sun. It's all about work life balance and be it Canada or UK, people who think they have SAD won't be happy in either place. If they do end up happier in the UK or Canada, it wasn't weather related.

It always make me laugh when people say they'd like a proper winter in the UK. Every time it's sunnier and colder the people then start to complain again.

If you were in London around 1998, it was a very strong El NiƱo, so could have been completely different in 2000 & 2001.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:04 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its just what I've heard from colleagues who worked there. They said they moved about in tunnels or took the metro everywhere in winter.
You can certainly do that downtown but not everywhere.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:32 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddflamingo
It's a combination of lots of things really but the most important one is that McGill seems to be a really good (and well-known) uni but is still affordable. I don't think I would be eligible for much if any financial aid but even so it is barely more expensive than studying in Britain, and I am lucky to be able to afford it.

Other than that I like that it is in a big city, that Montreal is bilingual so I would be able to learn French without studying it at uni (I already speak some French and it would be good to be able to practise often), I like that I could (and would have to) take multiple majors, minors and electives so I wouldn't have to narrow down too much but would still be able to avoid doing maths or science which doesn't seem to be the case at other North American unis, and from a much shallower perspective I like that the drinking age is still 18 there! And from what I understand I could also get a work permit after graduation so it's nice to have the option to stay in Canada if I still want to after four years, which would be much harder to do in the USA.

I would definitely be open to other unis in North America but the bottom line is that most of them are just too expensive and McGill seems to be a good combination of prestige, fun and affordability - the only major drawback I can see is the weather, which is why I was asking about it.
It is indeed a very good university. Depending on which survey you want to read, it ranges from world 24th to world 63rd (guess which survey McGill uses on its website?). As I'm sure you know, it's an anglophone university (although you need some French if you're studying law).

Montreal is heaving with students (some 220,000) so you'll have plenty of company. If such things concern you, you'll be pleased to know that Montreal girls are generally as hot as a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I meant every word of it...
I didn't doubt it. It was the contradiction - shouldn't be concerned about the weather but should be concerned about the summer - that amused me.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 4:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
You can certainly do that downtown but not everywhere.
Of course, but isn't McGill located downtown? Anyway, the point I was suggesting is that the locals have developed coping mechanisms and behaviors for the harsh winters so the OP shouldn't worry too much.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I didn't doubt it. It was the contradiction - shouldn't be concerned about the weather but should be concerned about the summer - that amused me.
good point

I had missed that
Old Aug 27th 2016, 6:21 pm
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

As mentioned, Montreal winters are indeed cold but generally sunny. There are reasonably frequent thaws, though as with anything weather-wise it varies from year to year.

University of Toronto and University of British Columbia are about as highly-ranked as McGill but located in milder cities (though in the case of UofT, only somewhat milder and not considerably noticeable). Something to consider.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 7:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I live in an area with a similar climate to Montreal... I think to get through winter you will need to embrace it by taking up a winter sport of some sort e.g. Skiing etc but also maybe factor in a break of some sort, a few days in the sun if you can afford it. Winter is long here, the year before last it started on Halloween and didn't end until April, and then April was bleak, grey with dirty snow melting. Spring is nothing like it is the UK.

I like winter and snow but the never ending ness of it can be pretty tiring.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 9:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
University of Toronto and University of British Columbia are about as highly-ranked as McGill but located in milder cities (though in the case of UofT, only somewhat milder and not considerably noticeable). Something to consider.
A colleague of mine, from Macao, has a daughter who had the choice of UofT or McGill. The colleague, and her husband, did all they could to persuade her to go to McGill. Their logic being that McGill is an anglophone island in a francophone city, there will be a community feeling to the university. UofT, by contrast, they saw as being "too Asian, all the kids commute, there's no social life, it's just a degree, she might as well go to Waterloo". That's not the only time I've heard the UofT so described.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 12:08 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
A colleague of mine, from Macao, has a daughter who had the choice of UofT or McGill. The colleague, and her husband, did all they could to persuade her to go to McGill. Their logic being that McGill is an anglophone island in a francophone city, there will be a community feeling to the university. UofT, by contrast, they saw as being "too Asian, all the kids commute, there's no social life, it's just a degree, she might as well go to Waterloo". That's not the only time I've heard the UofT so described.
McGill certainly has more of a social atmosphere. Indeed, it is considered quite the party school (which does not detract from its academic excellence).

Bear in mind that U of T is a massive institution - 60,000 students attend the downtown campus. Even if only a minority of those students live downtown, that's still more people than the entire student body at most other Canadian universities. Even if UofT doesn't party as hard as McGill, there should be more than enough opportunity to find one's niche and socialize/get plastered.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 1:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
McGill certainly has more of a social atmosphere. Indeed, it is considered quite the party school (which does not detract from its academic excellence).

Bear in mind that U of T is a massive institution - 60,000 students attend the downtown campus. Even if only a minority of those students live downtown, that's still more people than the entire student body at most other Canadian universities. Even if UofT doesn't party as hard as McGill, there should be more than enough opportunity to find one's niche and socialize/get plastered.
Various of my children attended McGill, Concordia, Ryerson, King's College ( a liberal arts attachment to Dalhousie) and UBC. None of them reported getting plastered. I'm shocked to hear such behavior occurs in Canada, I thought we Brits had the monopoly on loutishness.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 1:14 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Various of my children attended McGill, Concordia, Ryerson, King's College ( a liberal arts attachment to Dalhousie) and UBC. None of them reported getting plastered. I'm shocked to hear such behavior occurs in Canada, I thought we Brits had the monopoly on loutishness.

Yeah, because that's the first thing they tell their parents.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Our first year in Montreal saw a near record breaking snowfall year.... 2007, 342cm. There was debate on the radio about whether we wanted more snow to break the record (351cm, 1997 I think).

The Eskimos apparently have 24 different names for snow.... and we saw many of the different types of snowfall while there.

The best days are -10 to -20, clear blue skies, zero wind. Feels like breathing in life!

The worst are overcast, -30 or colder, windy and ice storms to follow. Nasty.

The thing that got us about winter is the length of it.... 5 months! Kicks off mid November, snow gone by mid to late April, or even May!

The best way through it is to get a winter hobby.... skiing, curling, ice driving etc.

It is great fun driving across ice roads on frozen lakes!! :thumbs:

The mosquitos are hibernating!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.