Reload this Page >

Monthly costs Fredericton

Monthly costs Fredericton

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:43 am
Just Joined

LisaDan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Monthly costs Fredericton

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help. My husband and I are wanting to move to New Brunswick, close to Fredericton. We would be looking to buy a 3 bedroom detached house: what would monthly bills cost approximately?
Any ideas would be really useful!
Thank you
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly costs Fredericton

Our bills in Moncton

Electricity equalised at $280 monthly - pays for heat pump/aircon.
Water around $200 every three months.
Insurance $90.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Ok great, thank you
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This might be useful too, to give you an idea of grocery costs - http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...ceries-857019/

HTH, good luck with it.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much, that is great help.
We are trying to work out total costs so we have an idea of how much we need to be earning etc.
Thanks again
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaDan
Thanks so much, that is great help.
We are trying to work out total costs so we have an idea of how much we need to be earning etc.
Thanks again
Do you already have a job offer? Or do you already have a visa and will be finding work once there?

If you have an idea of what job you'll be doing, you can check you'll be being paid the going rate by looking on here - Explore Careers by Wages - Job Bank Although if you've already got a LMIA then the salary must be at least the median wage, so you'll know it's fair.

As a very rough guide, cost of living is said by most on the forum to be about the same in Canada as it is in the UK, so for general costs (not including mortgage etc), the general rule is to be earning 1.8 times what you earn in the UK to give you the same sort of lifestyle. Not sure how accurate it is, but you can use that as a guide at least.

HTH.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you already have a job offer? Or do you already have a visa and will be finding work once there?

If you have an idea of what job you'll be doing, you can check you'll be being paid the going rate by looking on here - Explore Careers by Wages - Job Bank Although if you've already got a LMIA then the salary must be at least the median wage, so you'll know it's fair.

As a very rough guide, cost of living is said by most on the forum to be about the same in Canada as it is in the UK, so for general costs (not including mortgage etc), the general rule is to be earning 1.8 times what you earn in the UK to give you the same sort of lifestyle. Not sure how accurate it is, but you can use that as a guide at least.

HTH.
Ok thank you. We are both eligible to apply via the Brunswick provincial Entry and just need to check we can afford it all first. I have a degree in education and my husband is an electrician. I know it can be difficult to find jobs and so I am not fussed on what job I get, as long as it can pay bills. We will have money saved to last a while whilst hunting for employment. I know car insurance seems to be a lot more in Canada than the UK!

Many thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:08 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thank you. We are both eligible to apply via the Brunswick provincial Entry and just need to check we can afford it all first. I have a degree in education and my husband is an electrician. I know it can be difficult to find jobs and so I am not fussed on what job I get, as long as it can pay bills. We will have money saved to last a while whilst hunting for employment. I know car insurance seems to be a lot more in Canada than the UK!

Many thanks
I Wish you every success with your plans to move to Canada

Are you eligible for any of the other Provincial Entry Programmes, other than New Brunswick? Have you visited Fredericton?
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Thank you. We are going on a road trip round New Brunswick in August so hopefully we will find out more then too.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 11:27 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

LisaDan, that's great. You will love NB for a road trip, it's beautiful and the people are friendly. I do know a couple of people who arrived here on the Provincial Nomination Programme who then encountered great difficulties in finding work in Fredericton, they were well qualified, and had never had difficulties finding work in the UK, but are now doing McJobs as indeed am I. If I had to do it all over again and were set on NB I'd look more closely at Moncton, there's a lot more of a spirit of entrepreneurship, and a lot more international trade too. The employment situation in Fredericton is pretty dire. Seven of my son's friends families are moving this summer, a couple to Quebec and the rest to Toronto, they are all bi-lingual professionals but they can't find work.

Fredericton has a lot of positives, as do the Maritime Provinces in general and I wish you every success, but we are in the economic doldrums.

If you get here, pm me and come for a cuppa
Old Jul 4th 2016, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Canazon is an unknown quantity at this point

Our bills in Fredericton for a detached, 3 bed house :

Heating: $180/month on average; house is well insulated and we don't have air con
Insurance: $250/month for house + 2 cars, house is around $80 a month. This includes various discounts (8 years no claims + multilines).
Water: free (we're on a well, like most people outside city boundaries)
Sewers: $120/quater
Property tax: $2400/year
Internet/phone/TV: $120/month... ouch

MillieF is right about the job situation here, it's not rosy. It is possible to find work in Fredericton, great jobs even (we've been lucky in that department), but honestly, I can't say that opportunities abound. If you do decide to make this city your home, my advice would be to plan carefully and to have an exit strategy. i.e. keep some money to relocate if you need to.

On the other hand, people here are super friendly and it's a great place to raise a family.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

. I have a degree in education and my husband is an electrician. I know it can be difficult to find jobs and so I am not fussed on what job I get, as long as it can pay bills.
You could find it difficult to ever get a teaching job in NB. If this is something that you ever plan on doing I would be looking at other provinces. My ex GF was a teacher as were a lot of her friends. They had all been qualified for 5 odd years and only ever bounced between part time positions. Then the English teacher was offered a full time job teaching Maths Possibly part of the reason why NB has the worst (Francophone) and joint third worst (Anglophone) Education systems in this country. Your other half will be able to find work easily enough. The Moncton area would be your best bet as there is a lot of building and expansion happening in the city.

Rough costs for 4 bed semi:

Electricity 100 ish in the Summer anywhere between 200 -400 in the winter.
Water bill 60 a month
House insurance 750 a year
Car Insurance 800 a year one car - 2014 Hyundai Acccent
Property tax 2740 a year
Mobile 63 a month for unlimited calls msg and 2gb data
TV Internet Phone bundle (plus extra sports channel) 160 a month

The price of food here may surprise you. In particular fresh fruit and veg. Booze and Cheese are also silly prices. Less choice and quality in general here than in the UK.

Cars here are ridiculously expensive to buy with much less choice than the UK or populated parts of Canada. Running them is cheaper here though. The locals will still whinge at anything over a dollar a liter

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Jul 5th 2016 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 5:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Property tax 2740 a year

House insurance 750 a year
Who with if you don't mind me asking?

That's quite a bit less than ours.
I suppose the woodstove (not used in a while but would have been at the time insurance arranged) might make a difference - unless you have one too.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Too much, for too little.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Who with if you don't mind me asking?

That's quite a bit less than ours.
I suppose the woodstove (not used in a while but would have been at the time insurance arranged) might make a difference - unless you have one too.
Have sent you PM with info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.