Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Money transfer:

Money transfer:

Old Feb 25th 2017, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Money transfer:

Hi folks!

Question I'm hoping someone can help with.
Basically we have things back in the UK we need to pay each month. We'd like to transfer around $1000 a month from our Canadian bank account to our U.K. Bank account. Does anyone recommend the cheapest and most convenient way of doing that?

Thanks guys. :-)
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money transfer:

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Hi folks!

Basically we have things back in the UK we need to pay each month. We'd like to transfer around $1000 a month from our Canadian bank account to our U.K. Bank account. Does anyone recommend the cheapest and most convenient way of doing that?

My opinion? Transferwise. Ill be using them for all my money in the next six months.

https://transferwise.com/
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
My opinion? Transferwise. Ill be using them for all my money in the next six months.

Thank you- husband has just looked on the website & said it looks ideal for what we need so he's going to set that up.
Thanks- appreciate your help.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Oliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!

You can do a Wire transfer from your canadian bank account to your UK bank account, I have done it a few times, very easy and no charge. You have to go into the bank and give them your UK bank details - branch Swift number (can be found on google), bank account number and address of the branch your with in the UK
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:08 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Wire transfers from your bank account in Canada are possible. As others mentioned it usually means a trip to the bank as they don't have the option in their online system. HSBC, who I initially used in 2003 *did* have a section in their online site that allowed you to initiate a wire transfer, which was very useful. You did need to go into the bank once to set it all up, but after that, it was all online.

I wonder if they allowed this as they had branches in the UK, whereas the other banks here don't?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oliviald
You can do a Wire transfer from your canadian bank account to your UK bank account, I have done it a few times, very easy and no charge. You have to go into the bank and give them your UK bank details - branch Swift number (can be found on google), bank account number and address of the branch your with in the UK
Hi, thanks, yeah. We initially looked into that with it being the simplest way possible. (We thought) but bank to bank the exchange rate is awful! We were going to lose loads each time. (From Scotiabank to Lloyds in UK)
In the end my husband found a company (I can't remember it's name off the top of my head & he isn't here to ask) but you basically pay them in Canada from the Canadian bank and they pay your Uk bank account. So no money is going over borders and as such the exchange rate is really good. We're barely losing anything. Used it twice now since I posted this original thread and so far no issues! :-)
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

In the end my husband found a company (I can't remember it's name off the top of my head & he isn't here to ask) but you basically pay them in Canada from the Canadian bank and they pay your Uk bank account. So no money is going over borders and as such the exchange rate is really good. We're barely losing anything. Used it twice now since I posted this original thread and so far no issues! :-)

Yep - that will be Transferwise. They give you the prevailing FOREX rate then have a single explicit charge of 0.5% of the value of the transfer. I will be using them going forward for sure.

Precisely the problem with using regular banks is the cr*ppy exchange rate they give you.

None of which is a major issue if you are only talking about hundreds or even low thousands of GBP / CAD - now do the same sums with £100k's and see what the difference is!
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep - that will be Transferwise. They give you the prevailing FOREX rate then have a single explicit charge of 0.5% of the value of the transfer. I will be using them going forward for sure.

Precisely the problem with using regular banks is the cr*ppy exchange rate they give you.

None of which is a major issue if you are only talking about hundreds or even low thousands of GBP / CAD - now do the same sums with £100k's and see what the difference is!
Yeah that name sounds about right! We're really happy with them. We transfer $1000 a month back. If we did that through the bank as a wire transfer we were looking at losing £80-£100 per transfer! Crazy!! It's nowhere near that with Transferwise. & it was super easy to set up. :-)
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that name sounds about right! We're really happy with them. We transfer $1000 a month back. If we did that through the bank as a wire transfer we were looking at losing £80-£100 per transfer! Crazy!! It's nowhere near that with Transferwise. & it was super easy to set up. :-)
+1
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

-1. Use HSBC Global.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for this!
have spent ages looking for cheaper option of transferring GBP to other currencies, including e-currencies
Old Mar 30th 2017, 11:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
Many thanks for this!
have spent ages looking for cheaper option of transferring GBP to other currencies, including e-currencies
Transferwise is great with a low % fee and a very good rate.

But I think there comes a point where the % fee on a bigger sum is more than one of the fixed fee services would be and then it's less clear what the best overall deal is.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
-1. Use HSBC Global.
Doesn't work for me as I'm not eligible for the accounts that allows this service.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Transferwise is great with a low % fee and a very good rate.

But I think there comes a point where the % fee on a bigger sum is more than one of the fixed fee services would be and then it's less clear what the best overall deal is.
I don't think that there is a point / size of transfer where this is true.

I have just done the sums for £300k comparing transferwise to HiFX (one of the most competitive conventional FOREX companies I have come across.

The difference even with the .5% fee for TransferWise was $8k better. The rate HiFX used was $0.04 less that the commercial rate TransferWise uses.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 6:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that there is a point / size of transfer where this is true.

I have just done the sums for £300k comparing transferwise to HiFX (one of the most competitive conventional FOREX companies I have come across.

The difference even with the .5% fee for TransferWise was $8k better. The rate HiFX used was $0.04 less that the commercial rate TransferWise uses.
Ah, so TransferWise's better rate more than made up for a higher fee then.

Before I started using TW I took note of the fixed rates of other services - I remember one was £9 and another £5 or £6 - so just remembered that around the £2000 level, the TW fee would be higher by a few quid.

Since I was unlikely to transfer amounts larger than that I never actually looked at the rates others used and thought they'd be closer.

4c lost on every £? Blimey.

Go back a couple of years and there were three or four companies like HiFX that people on BE used to swear by. But it was noticeable that nobody ever seemed to quote the rate used or reference a fee, just saying how great it was that they could book the rate and get that rate on the transfer day even if it had fallen.

Maybe before the emergence of TransferWise those others were the best
I do remember someone saying they actually got a favourable rate from whoever they used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.