Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Money saving suggestions for newbies?

Money saving suggestions for newbies?

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money saving suggestions for newbies?

Ship that Shit and get on with your life.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 6:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLW78
To add, I would definitely say bring as much as you can. If shipping is cost effective, bring it. We arrived in Canada just under two months ago and I wish I had shipped so much more than we eventually did. I wish I had packed bedding, towels etc as I'm finding these things are expensive here (if I want to replace like for like).
My experience is slightly different but I realise I'm in a minority - though not a minority of one.

I wonder if the key part is like for like and many here have accumulated better quality over their lives.

I married into a Canadian family, so for my move I had to furnish a 4 bedroom detached house and move from my single bloke 2 bed terraced house.

Obviously there were some things I could have brought - two double beds, couple of chest of drawers, dining table and chairs, sofas, bookcases etc in addition to the stuff I did bring.

But the price I was quoted for the extra stuff was out of all proportion to the value.

The stuff I bought over here - mostly from Leons and having priced stuff up at Leons and The Brick previously - was like for like quality what I had in the UK and I found it to be considerably cheaper than the UK equivalent.

For a long time I had the invoice in a drawer with all the stuff listed with prices and every time this subject came up, I found myself thinking why was it so different for me.

I used to dig the list out thinking I must have miscalculated or something. But no, there it was. Cheaper than equivalent stuff I'd bought in England.

One thing I did notice was a lot of people were critical of the quality of what The Brick and Leons sold.

To me it was on a par with what I was used to having in England and that's why I wonder if most people have better stuff to begin with (hence the poor quality belief) and it's better to bring that over than to try to replace it.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:18 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

1. Don't order cable. It is a total ripoff...use antenna if possible (there's nothing like an uncompressed over the air digital signal), or ethernet.
2. Teksavvy is the ISP of choice for many, and with good reason.
3. Go with the more affordable offshoots of Rogers Wireless (Fido), Telus (Koodo) for cell service.
4. Make your own muesli with no-name bran flakes, trail mix, and rolled oats.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Feb 24th 2017 at 1:25 am.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:55 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
To me it was on a par with what I was used to having in England and that's why I wonder if most people have better stuff to begin with (hence the poor quality belief) and it's better to bring that over than to try to replace it.
Lots of people are highly critical of...everything Bristol...as they are looking for a reason to be disparaging....why? I have not the foggiest of ideas.

You and you wife, met, chose and bought items that you wanted to share in your married life. They served you well and you're happy with them well done you're winning.