Reload this Page >

Moncton or Fredericton?

Moncton or Fredericton?

Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

JonJib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moncton or Fredericton?

Hi,

We have PR to live in NB, as long as we set up a business.

We were looking at Fredericton, having found it marginally "nicer" than Moncton when we came over for the business recce. Two years have passed since then, (we are going across over Easter to activate the visas), and will have another look again then, but wondered what those who know the areas think.

We have 2 kids (nearly 12 and 9yrs), so a family orientated place with good schools is necessary please.

Whatever happens, the OH and I have agreed that when we get on the plane on the way back, the final decision over emigrating or not emigrating will have been reached. Sick of living in limbo. Mind you, you don't need a visa to live there.

Cheers

Jon
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moncton or Fredericton?

Isn't the location going to be determined somewhat by the nature of your business?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future

Fredericton is definitely prettier, nicer and more pleasant overall than Moncton. I think it's actually one of the prettiest cities in Canada. I lived in Fredericton from 2005-2009 and have been back for a visit every year since then. It's certainly a great place to raise children. Government and university town.

Moncton's economy has always seemed to be better off than Fredericton's. I remember reading a few years ago that the Moncton/Dieppe/Riverview area was the best place in Canada to open a business, but I suspect that was before the recession hit.

Bottom line for me would be - the employment situation being equal, I'd pick Fredericton.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Fredericton is certainly more attractive looking. Moncton might be a better bet for the coast or visiting Nova Scotia and the planes from the airport might take you to more places than Fredericton.

I think Shopping and entertainment is better in Moncton than Fredericton, but sitting just watching the world go by or strolling about is nicer in Fredericton.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:58 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonJib
Hi,

We have PR to live in NB, as long as we set up a business.

We were looking at Fredericton, having found it marginally "nicer" than Moncton when we came over for the business recce. Two years have passed since then, (we are going across over Easter to activate the visas), and will have another look again then, but wondered what those who know the areas think.

We have 2 kids (nearly 12 and 9yrs), so a family orientated place with good schools is necessary please.

Whatever happens, the OH and I have agreed that when we get on the plane on the way back, the final decision over emigrating or not emigrating will have been reached. Sick of living in limbo. Mind you, you don't need a visa to live there.

Cheers

Jon
I think Moncton has the better Rock concerts
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:36 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am presently packing for Fredericton. I agree with Bristol, I liked Moncton, and would like to spend the odd weekend there, good shopping and an indoor entertainment kids place that my OH and son loved - but Fredericton felt better for us as a family. I wanted to live within walking distance of downtown too, and to shops and a school, as in my present home I am stuck if there is a problem with the car. I would imagine that the pros and cons stack up equally for both dependent on the needs of the family - they aren't so far apart. So where old be better for your business?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you are considering Moncton you might think about living in Riverview...its like living in a Large village next to a city, we lived in a house that was about a 5 minute drive from Moncton. I lived there for 5 months. We are filling out our application forms just now and my husband lives in Moncton and thats where we will be moving to initially, if all goes well. I have only visited Fredericton and it seemed very nice...more historical town