Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone, sim, prepay, all that stuff

Mobile phone, sim, prepay, all that stuff

Old May 26th 2007, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile phone, sim, prepay, all that stuff

I have a Virgin Pay-as-you-go tri-band mobile. Apparently this handset would cost me $400 from fido in Canada, so obviously I would rather take it with me. Am I correct in thinking that I need to:

A) Get Virgin to unlock it
B) Get hold of a Fido (or similar) prepaid sim card, eother now or when I land
C) Get the above activated
D) Continue to use my mobile in Canada, using an adaptor on my present charger
Old May 26th 2007, 5:48 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice
Default Re: Mobile phone, sim, prepay, all that stuff

Originally Posted by uprightdog
I have a Virgin Pay-as-you-go tri-band mobile. Apparently this handset would cost me $400 from fido in Canada, so obviously I would rather take it with me. Am I correct in thinking that I need to:

Yes to all you may not need to get the phone unlocked, if you know someone who has a phone on another network try there sim card in your phone you may be surprised.

You can also get prepay sim cards from rogers as well.

A word of warning you may find prepay quite expensive as you may have to pay for incoming calls to, we did with rogers.

If you are out there permanently consider going on a pay monthly plan can work out there cheaper

Regards

Steve
Old May 26th 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Check out your options with Virgin as I'm on PAYG with Virgin Mobile Canada.
Old May 30th 2007, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Has anyone any experience of this website?

http://www.0044.co.uk/

Seems they can provide Canadian sim cards in advance of moving over there...
Old May 30th 2007, 8:35 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Hi Upright, Virgin in Canada I believe use CDMA not GSM or SIM cards...I may be wrong and could be getting the brand mixed up with another, but there was a reason I went with Rogers and I think it was CDMA technology...I'm sure others will correct me.

Rgds,

John
Old May 30th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
Hi Upright, Virgin in Canada I believe use CDMA not GSM or SIM cards...I may be wrong and could be getting the brand mixed up with another, but there was a reason I went with Rogers and I think it was CDMA technology...I'm sure others will correct me.
Okay... not sure how this would affect me? Wasn't particularly planning to go with Virgin in Canada.
Old May 30th 2007, 8:55 pm

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Okay... not sure how this would affect me? Wasn't particularly planning to go with Virgin in Canada.
Then your be fine....I misread...

rgds,

John
Old May 30th 2007, 9:57 pm
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

I would also like to sort out a sim card with mobile number sorted from canada so when I land I just pop it into my phone and its ready to use. This FIDO thing is it a main network over there. Where can I buy a pay as you go sim from here in UK. Can I buy from ebay canada? Also why do I have to pay for incoming calls. This seems a bit weird. Can you give me more info on this issue.
Old May 30th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03

Rgds,

John
Nope - no correction from me I was wondering why my Virgin Mobile phone didn't have a SIM card in it...
Old May 30th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Also why do I have to pay for incoming calls. This seems a bit weird. Can you give me more info on this issue.
Not sure what info I can give, but yes, you do pay for incoming which was also the case in the UK donkeys years ago, so maybe Canadian providers will catch up eventually and scrap that stupid idea?
Old May 30th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Hi all,
interesting thread.
I am thinking of taking my mobile over when we go on research/holiday trip in July. Just wondering if I can use my mobile and just get a cheap pay as toy go for a couple of weeks? I'm with O2 at the moment. We are going over with brother in law and family and need to keep in touch if we decided to go our own way on the odd day out?

Thanks all, hope you don't mind me asking this on this thread?
Regards,
Carl
Old May 30th 2007, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
I would also like to sort out a sim card with mobile number sorted from canada so when I land I just pop it into my phone and its ready to use. This FIDO thing is it a main network over there. Where can I buy a pay as you go sim from here in UK. Can I buy from ebay canada? Also why do I have to pay for incoming calls. This seems a bit weird. Can you give me more info on this issue.

Phones in the UK are a little more advanced with some models taking a year or so to catch up in Canada...simply choose a tri or quad band that takes a sim and get it unlocked.

Purchase (ebay.ca) a Rogers (easiest) PAYG sim that will come with $10 credit and get it shipped to your uk address...if your asked to choose a plan, pick Anytime plan to start.

Phone usage in general is more expensive...credit will expire on a monthly basis unless you top with a $100 dollars, then that will last a year..

rgds

John
Old May 30th 2007, 10:54 pm
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

OK will go for that rogers one with anytime $10. Will I be able to activate it from UK. If not can I get someone in canada to do it befor eits posted out to me Can someone help me with this. I am a good member on this forum and will happily pay via paypal if someone can sort this out for me. I looked on ebay but no one offer postage to UK. Also did not find many Rogers Pay as you go sim cards. Will look again later on there.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:07 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hi all,
interesting thread.
I am thinking of taking my mobile over when we go on research/holiday trip in July. Just wondering if I can use my mobile and just get a cheap pay as toy go for a couple of weeks? I'm with O2 at the moment. We are going over with brother in law and family and need to keep in touch if we decided to go our own way on the odd day out?

Thanks all, hope you don't mind me asking this on this thread?
Regards,
Carl
Hi carl

thats what cj and i did when we went over last time, but we bought the sim card out there either at a local electronics store, if you go to any of the big malls you will find a mobile phone store/electronics store just ask.

Regards

Steve

ps i would be surprised if your phone isn't tri band most phones sold in the UK are now
Old May 31st 2007, 2:27 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Call me stupid if you like...but why not just buy a new low end $60 virgin canada phone on arrival? Are you that attached to your current fancy phone you cant live without it?

It would pay for itself pretty quickly over the higher rates Rogers/ fido (the same company now) charge for PAYG services, plus unlocking etc etc.

Rogers customer service is abysmal too, another thing in Virgins favour.

PAYGO is probably cheaper than a monthly contract in most cases at first...given that you wont know anyone to call / be called by at first.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; May 31st 2007 at 2:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.