Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone SIM

Mobile Phone SIM

Old Nov 14th 2014, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phone SIM

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/sh...141114182730:s
Old Nov 14th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

wow they do a 30GB package lol thats a lot of data !
Old Nov 14th 2014, 5:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also on the prepaid plan Collie wrote above, exactly that. It's more than enough for me. I top up my 1GB of data every 2 months, and my minutes every 3-4 months.

(Note that Gozit says that 1GB "isn't very much", but that's coming from a 15 year old kid who lives on his phone and is a tech nerd. Your usage depends on how much you use your phone. My mom is on Koodo PAYG as well, it takes her about 4 months to go through 1GB of data. My husband, on the other hand, who has 30 minutes each way on the GO train, tends to blow through 1GB in about a month.)

Koodo historically has also done a Double promotion around Christmas in previous years, where you can get 2GB for $30 and 1000 minutes for $25 (BOGOF, basically)... and you can buy multiple boosters at once. Assuming they do this deal again this year, I'll be buying a year's worth of data and minutes at the discounted rate - yes, you can buy 6GB for $90 in one go and just run down the balance over however long it takes. Your data and minutes don't expire, they're good for as long as your account is active. (3 months of no use = inactive account.)

Also, for calling, I use Google Hangouts, which does calls to the UK for 1c/min for landlines and I think 4c/min for mobiles (need to double check that). Both my husband and I have used this a few times now to call his family, no issues with call quality or lag or whatever. Canada calling is all included with Koodo, and Hangouts calls to the US are free.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a thought, i don't have any contract as i own my phone and that gets you better deals than advertised. I'll never get into a "DEAL" with a phone company ever again because those deals suck ! I bought a new Google Nexus 5 for $350, i know its no iphone 6 but it does everything i would ever want it to and i can move from phone company to phone company when ever i want or when ever theres really good offers on. If the original poster owns his phone the goal posts move a lot once you actually talk to a provider.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:39 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for buying a phone outright and staying off a contract if you can.

Also, +1 for the Nexus 5. I adore it. (I flashed Lollipop on it yesterday! Couldn't wait!)
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
+1 for buying a phone outright and staying off a contract if you can.

Also, +1 for the Nexus 5. I adore it. (I flashed Lollipop on it yesterday! Couldn't wait!)
where did you get lolipop from lol
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
where did you get lolipop from lol
Manually flashed it using the factory image posted on Google's website and then the developer console to flash it. Rather nervous doing it, but it's all up and running now!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

wow they do a 30GB package lol thats a lot of data !
Yeah and "share everything" is the biggest ripoff ever. 80 a month for 500MB data? Really?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

But who would even try sharing 500mb of data ? lol
When you talk about sharing its normally a family. So their top deal which includes 30mb of data ? parents and two kids so split four ways, is 7.5 Gb of data plus unlimited canada calling and unlimited text, picture and video messages all for $52.50 each ? Only an idiot would go for the 500mb package and try to share it considering most have smart phones now lol
Old Nov 16th 2014, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

But who would even try sharing 500mb of data ? lol
When you talk about sharing its normally a family. So their top deal which includes 30mb of data ? parents and two kids so split four ways, is 7.5 Gb of data plus unlimited canada calling and unlimited text, picture and video messages all for $52.50 each ? Only an idiot would go for the 500mb package and try to share it considering most have smart phones now lol
I think your calculations are wrong... With the 30GB plan / 4 devices its $122.50+HST per month per device based on a 5 device family. I think you were forgetting the $60 line fee per device, which covers the talk and text. (again a total rip)

Last edited by Gozit; Nov 16th 2014 at 1:35 am.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Green5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Collie
Koodo wins my vote as well. We use prepaid ('PAYG') - pay $15 a month for unlimited texts (Canada and international) plus top up with $30 for 1 Gb of data and $25 for 500 minutes Canada-wide talk whenever we need it (these talk and data boosters don't expire after a month).

We make international calls from our mobile via LocalPhone - ridiculously cheap.

I think you'll find it hard to get a 1-year contract, so PAYG might be the way you have to go.
Hi,

I am considering also getting the same when we arrive at the end of the month and wondered... We are landing in Montreal, staying a few days and then moving to Ottawa where we will be based. Do you think that it's possible for me to get a SIM in MTL with a number in Ottawa? (Either I'd order it now online so that it's ready on arrival where we stay in MTL or i'd visit a store) or will we need to wait until we are in Ottawa in which case we'll be phone-less for a few days?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:13 pm
Concierge

If you get a payg SIM with koodo, you register the SIM online and then pick the region for your number. So yes, find a koodo in Montreal, and when you make your account online just select Ottawa as your area. Kiddo has Canada-wide calling as well so you don't have to worry about long distance when in Montreal.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Green5 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get a payg SIM with koodo, you register the SIM online and then pick the region for your number. So yes, find a koodo in Montreal, and when you make your account online just select Ottawa as your area. Kiddo has Canada-wide calling as well so you don't have to worry about long distance when in Montreal.

Thank you for the reply SchnookoLoly, much appreciated! Would you also happen to know if I could purchase everything I need online from the UK and have it delivered to my dad's house in MTL so that we don't even have to go in person to a Koodoo shop? I have tried but whilst I could put a PAYG sim in my shopping basket online I did not seem to be able to add the 15$ plan you talked about (the cheapest one available seems to be 30$). I've tried to locate an email for their costumer service but also could not find one!
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:14 pm
Concierge

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that for prepaid, you have to go and pick up a SIM card. I couldn't even find where to add a prepaid SIM to your cart from their website.

Just go in person, and tell them you just want to buy a prepaid SIM card. You will be in and out in like 5 minutes. It will cost you $20 plus tax to buy the SIM card.

Then take your SIM card home, go online to Koodo's prepaid website (https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/), and follow the instructions. When you activate the SIM you will be given a $20 credit (so your SIM card is free). Create your account, select your number, activate the SIM card. Once you're in your account you then select the plan you want, and it's at that point you select the $15 plan, then you can top-up the account in order to add boosters ($25 for 500 minutes, and $30 for 1GB).
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that for prepaid, you have to go and pick up a SIM card. I couldn't even find where to add a prepaid SIM to your cart from their website.
This is correct. The $30 plan she sees is not PAYG, it is a monthly one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.