Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

mobile phone help

mobile phone help

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

esandfor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mobile phone help

hi there, just trying to compare phone deals, have seen one on solo, for $25 which includes 100 mins, ulimited texts, unlimited weekend and evening and unlimited international texts, phones start from $60. does anyone use this tarriff or phone provider, i cant seem to find their full terms and conditions to see if they charge for incoming calls and texts???

many thanks
ebony
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mobile phone help

Originally Posted by esandfor
i cant seem to find their full terms and conditions to see if they charge for incoming calls and texts???

many thanks
ebony
It seems safe to assume they do

Did you look here?
http://www.solomobile.ca/Support/Default.aspx
http://www.solomobile.ca/Support/Terms_Conditions/

Last edited by iaink; Aug 23rd 2010 at 8:19 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:44 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

I found some details at http://www.solomobile.ca/Plans_Rates...lan/Rates.aspx. It looks like a pretty standard Canadian wireless deal:

* No charge for incoming text, since you have a text plan.
* Incoming calls attract the same airtime charges as outgoing. So they're free at evenings and weekends, but use your minutes during the day. When you run out of minutes, you pay $0.35 a minute for airtime.
* Long distance charges may apply for calls received outside of your home area.

Note that call display and voicemail cost extra if you want those features; add $7/month for one feature or $10/month for both.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esandfor
hi there, just trying to compare phone deals, have seen one on solo, for $25 which includes 100 mins, ulimited texts, unlimited weekend and evening and unlimited international texts, phones start from $60. does anyone use this tarriff or phone provider, i cant seem to find their full terms and conditions to see if they charge for incoming calls and texts???

many thanks
ebony
Hi

The CTV morning show gave out this website the other morning:
www.cellplanexpert.ca
Its suposed to be a comparison site to help you find the best deal for yourself.

I don't know how good it is cos I havn't got round to checking it out yet, but it might be worth taking a look.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

87cabby is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll preface this by saying I worked in mobile phone sales when I first moved here.

Your best bet is to visit the stores of the big players. Try and avoid mall-based locations. They are generally very busy and have no incentives to give you a deal. Try and find smaller stores out in strip malls in the suburbs. This time of year they are really hurting. If you play your cards right you can get a free phone or free activation usually. Just play it like you'd play buying a car - tell them you'll buy there and then if they can give you a deal. The store managers have a lot of flexibility and need to make their targets. Don't buy online, any store will give you the same pricing and make you a better deal.

When you do shop around, ask the sales people in the store about their corporate Employee Purchase Plans. Some of them blow the usual plans out of the water. You're *supposed* to be an employee of the company that has arranged the plan, but that's not always adhered to by the commissioned employee eager to make their sale. In addition, I know that Bell has Canadian Tire and CAA plans which are open to generally everyone.

As an example, my EPP (for a company I do NOT work for, btw) gives me:
450 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends from 6pm, unlimited incoming, unlimited bell-bell calling, unlimited texts, voice mail, call display, 500mb data, 10c for additional mins and LD. I pay $50 a month.

Just go into each provider and ask what their best EPP deal is that they can offer you.

One final opinion: avoid Telus at all costs