Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile crane operators

Mobile crane operators

Old May 2nd 2013, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Accy boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile crane operators

Hello there expats, this is my first post so I'll get straight to the point Are there any crane operators on the forum and if so what are your experiences? Having spent around six months in Canada during my army days I've always had the urge to go back, having been a crane op for eleven years with a partner and two children what would my chances of ever gaining entry be? Look forward to hearing from any of you.
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:55 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile crane operators

Crane Operator is not on the Federal Skilled Works list of 24 occupations, so you will not be able to apply for that visa stream.

Each provience has its own Nomination scheme called a PNP, depending on which provience some do not require that you have work already arranged.

The other option is to get work and get a LMO (labour Market Opinion) and therafter a TWP(temp work permit).

Id suggest you give more details like were you would like to settle, if your partner plans to work and what her job is etc
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank for the reply mikeypm. Alberta or BC would be my preferred destinations but would settle for any province at first. My partner would work, she currently works as a baker and is educated to diploma level in psychology (had to postpone degree due to children/work) not enough time or money. Are you a crane op yourself?
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:19 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accy boy
Thank for the reply mikeypm. Alberta or BC would be my preferred destinations but would settle for any province at first. My partner would work, she currently works as a baker and is educated to diploma level in psychology (had to postpone degree due to children/work) not enough time or money. Are you a crane op yourself?
go look in the canniversary section there is a guy there who name is craneoperator
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:22 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accy boy
No Im not a crane operator, Im an office monkey

This is the Thread that Cheeky allued to http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794132
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Crane operators are regulated in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and BC, from what I read here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...abs_container2 so you may need to look into certification for those Provinces.

Ontario Certification has some useful info.

Red Seal info: http://www.red-seal.ca/s.2.1rchr.2s....crane+operator

There have been a few threads on the subject, so have a quick search of the forum (used 'advanced' search and highlight 'Canada'), also try sending a pm to CraneOperator who came over in 2012 on a TWP (once you have 3 posts).

Last edited by Siouxie; May 3rd 2013 at 1:25 pm.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:59 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

*waves* crane drivers wife here

we moved to BC on the provincial nominee programme and had our TWP within 16w.

you will need to get your class 1 (thats equiv to HGV1) as although you can drive fixed axle on class 3, you are better getting class 1... and heres why - the crane test is split into 2 levels here, under 80T and above. if you pass the above you can drive anything, if not you are limited (in theory) to under 80T.

so you need your class 1, then you need to join the ITA ( industry training authority) this is about $125 and you need an address in canada to use. we used our lawyers.
they will then send you an email to take an online test which is quite complex.
when you pass that you get your trainee certificate called level B. once you have this you can get in a crane and drive "under indirect supervision" so you have to have someone who is level A on the end of a phone if you get stuck

you then get 1 year to take your level A. and once you have that you can drive unsupervised.

you need to get into the union its IUOE115 for mobile cranes in BC. there is one in burnaby which is very helpful ( thats vancouver)

basically you work for the union, and if there is no work you dont get paid. let me be crystal clear THERE IS NO BASIC. i shout that at you because we went to vancouver with our three kids on the understanding that the crane company that had hired hubby told him there was a basic of 40hrs a week. there are no guarantees. vancouver from oct-feb is pretty grim work wise.
we had to emigrate back to uk and then back out to canada (heamorraging money) and ended up in prince george (where there is shedloads of work! and even thru winter they keep you ticking over!)

now the snow is gone hubby is working almost every weekday and if he has more than two days off during the week they are trying to make sure he gets a weekend ( double time) to compensate. but then he has a great boss.

just a word about cross boarder, if you want to work the oil fields you will probably corss the boarder into alberta, and will need a red seal certificate. this is a cross provincial equivalency exam. hubby hasnt done it yet cos there is enough work.

can i ask, where in uk are your from and who have you worked for, there are a few UK crane drivers out here that we know now and might be able to set you up with a chat with an employer. maybe PM me rather than put personal details on here.

anyway. as a crane driver you will be welcomed with open arms they are desperate for good drivers here. your partner will get a spouses open work permit, your kids get study permits.

would strongly suggest a holiday out here to research, AND the all important face time with employers. dont post your cv to someone they will file it. take your Resume to them and you will probably leave there with a job offer.
dont consider a job outside the union. they pay 90% of your medical...

need anything else just yell.
Old May 3rd 2013, 4:54 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Great post __TJ__ (crane drivers wife )
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
*waves* crane drivers wife here

we moved to BC on the provincial nominee programme and had our TWP within 16w.

you will need to get your class 1 (thats equiv to HGV1) as although you can drive fixed axle on class 3, you are better getting class 1... and heres why - the crane test is split into 2 levels here, under 80T and above. if you pass the above you can drive anything, if not you are limited (in theory) to under 80T.

so you need your class 1, then you need to join the ITA ( industry training authority) this is about $125 and you need an address in canada to use. we used our lawyers.
they will then send you an email to take an online test which is quite complex.
when you pass that you get your trainee certificate called level B. once you have this you can get in a crane and drive "under indirect supervision" so you have to have someone who is level A on the end of a phone if you get stuck

you then get 1 year to take your level A. and once you have that you can drive unsupervised.

you need to get into the union its IUOE115 for mobile cranes in BC. there is one in burnaby which is very helpful ( thats vancouver)

basically you work for the union, and if there is no work you dont get paid. let me be crystal clear THERE IS NO BASIC. i shout that at you because we went to vancouver with our three kids on the understanding that the crane company that had hired hubby told him there was a basic of 40hrs a week. there are no guarantees. vancouver from oct-feb is pretty grim work wise.
we had to emigrate back to uk and then back out to canada (heamorraging money) and ended up in prince george (where there is shedloads of work! and even thru winter they keep you ticking over!)

now the snow is gone hubby is working almost every weekday and if he has more than two days off during the week they are trying to make sure he gets a weekend ( double time) to compensate. but then he has a great boss.

just a word about cross boarder, if you want to work the oil fields you will probably corss the boarder into alberta, and will need a red seal certificate. this is a cross provincial equivalency exam. hubby hasnt done it yet cos there is enough work.

can i ask, where in uk are your from and who have you worked for, there are a few UK crane drivers out here that we know now and might be able to set you up with a chat with an employer. maybe PM me rather than put personal details on here.

anyway. as a crane driver you will be welcomed with open arms they are desperate for good drivers here. your partner will get a spouses open work permit, your kids get study permits.

would strongly suggest a holiday out here to research, AND the all important face time with employers. dont post your cv to someone they will file it. take your Resume to them and you will probably leave there with a job offer.
dont consider a job outside the union. they pay 90% of your medical...

need anything else just yell.
Awesome post T!

Old May 3rd 2013, 7:20 pm

Great post TJ
Old May 3rd 2013, 7:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Thirded - great post
Old May 6th 2013, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your great reply TJ . I currently live in Lancashire and work out of Manchester for a firm called john sutch but have worked for a couple of others in the area. Been looking around the forum and it appears Alberta is a more affordable place to live than BC so I may focus more on that province plus I've visited it before
Old May 6th 2013, 6:21 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

good luck either way mate, there will be similar rules and regs to comply with. we found all kinds of problems getting the right information as to what we had to do when. speak to the union in the are you are looking at and ask them for a step by step of what you have to do and who you have to apply to. they are really helpful.
Old May 6th 2013, 6:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It does look like a fun job. The closest I've ever got was in Half-Life 2.