Medicare - BC - Clarification

Medicare - BC - Clarification

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare - BC - Clarification

Hi guys and gals,

Hope all are well.

I am trying to establish some information relating to BC Medicare but am not getting far in retrieving the necessary information directly from them. Can I trouble you please to provide insight/experiences on the following:

1. Is it possible to apply/enroll onto Medicare BC whilst physically in London prior to settling in BC? Or do I have to wait until I actually settle there before applying?
  2. I will not have a job on settlement. Will the monthly premium amounts be applicable from the moment I am enrolled onto Medicare or only when I am in employment and earning over a certain amount annually?
Thank you all for your continued support, life savers!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Medicare - BC - Clarification

FYI - I have activated my PR (spouse visa) btw, although not officially yet settled which is what I aim to do shortly.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There is no 'Medicare' in BC, it is the Medical Services Plan.

Only residents of BC can enroll, you have to be physically present and living in the province.

You are responsible for the premiums. There is a premium relief program, based on the previous year Canadian tax return. You can also apply for premium relief without having filed a return, but still have to pay premiums until this is approved.

MSP will not cover you for the remainder of the month in which you arrive and the 2 successive months. You should have private coverage for this, or pick up the tab yourself.

You would also register for Fair Pharmacare on arrival as well.

All of this is on the MSP and Fair Pharmacare website.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
There is no 'Medicare' in BC, it is the Medical Services Plan.

Only residents of BC can enroll, you have to be physically present and living in the province.

You are responsible for the premiums. There is a premium relief program, based on the previous year Canadian tax return. You can also apply for premium relief without having filed a return, but still have to pay premiums until this is approved.

MSP will not cover you for the remainder of the month in which you arrive and the 2 successive months. You should have private coverage for this, or pick up the tab yourself.

You would also register for Fair Pharmacare on arrival as well.

All of this is on the MSP and Fair Pharmacare website.
Thank you Aviator for your prompt response.

You are right, it is the 'MSP' and not 'Medicare'.

I shall apply then on the day I settle, thank you for clarifying.

Very clear too with your answer on the premium question.

With regards to Fair Pharmacare, I have not come across this yet and am glad you have mentioned it so that I can look into it further.

Really appreciate your input!
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Once you start working you may be with an employer with a group MSP plan. At this stage you normally get coverage over and above BC MSP levels. Many employers will pay their employees MSP premiums.