Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows/Coquitlam pros/cons?

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows/Coquitlam pros/cons?

Old Jun 5th 2015, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

skilovernat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows/Coquitlam pros/cons?

Originally Posted by vanity
Blimey it says 845 is the benchmark house price for Coquitlam.
Blimey indeed... MR looks much cheaper though.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the Port Moody side of Coquitlam heading up towards Heritage Mountain and Westwood Plateau are preferable.

As an aside we paid 675 for our 2500sg ft 2 years ago. Now marketable at 860.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Does Port Moody have an arts or cafe scene?
Port Moody refers to itself as the city of arts. I can't see too much obvious stuff but they do have a few art festivals and craft events. Cafe wise there are a few independent places as well as the minor and major chains.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:54 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. What about Glenayre? Prices there are over 800 too.

I suspect price increases (very jealous) are related to the general insanity elsewhere in metro Van. Most new buyers being priced out to other areas..
Old Jun 7th 2015, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I suspect price increases (very jealous) are related to the general insanity elsewhere in metro Van. Most new buyers being priced out to other areas..
The Evergreen line will have a big impact on commuters, anything within a mile of a station is seeing big growth
Old Jun 7th 2015, 5:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Domino effect and eventually there is nothing affordable left within a reasonable commute.

Vancouver commuters is what is pushing up prices in Squamish as well, and rents (can actually rent cheaper in Vancouver...lol) still cheaper then other area's near Vancouver, so seeing huge sales, but you can still find liveable places for 500,000-600,000 but prices are going up fast.

The house next to my MIL is on the market for over 800,000, probably sell within 2-3 weeks, its a really nice house with a good lot, but its the only new house in the neighbourhood, everything else was 60's built.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

skilovernat is an unknown quantity at this point

Just returned from a trip to these areas.
If you've never been and are from the UK here is what I thought after 2 weeks of being out there:

Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge - are basically 2 towns that have grown into one. You can't really tell when one ends and the other begins.

Maple Rigde/Pitt Meadows - people commute by car/the ridiculous 8 trains per day to Van and back - but shoot me now if I needed to do that!

Coquitlam - way busier/more built up. Has more transport to Vancouver so really a commuter town.
Burnaby - even busier and built up but obviously v close to Van.
Port Moody - seemed pretty cute and less expensive than Coquitlam.

Mission - like a little backwater, but cute, and rural. 20 minutes further by car than MR to the city, so unlikely you'd ever go into Vancouver for a day trip unless you love traffic. Cheaper because of the distance and the population.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skilovernat
If you've never been and are from the UK here is what I thought after 2 weeks of being out there:

Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge - are basically 2 towns that have grown into one. You can't really tell when one ends and the other begins.

Maple Rigde/Pitt Meadows - people commute by car/the ridiculous 8 trains per day to Van and back - but shoot me now if I needed to do that!

Coquitlam - way busier/more built up. Has more transport to Vancouver so really a commuter town.

Mission - like a little backwater, but cute, and rural. 20 minutes further by car than MR to the city, so unlikely you'd ever go into Vancouver for a day trip unless you love traffic. Cheaper because of the distance and the population.
If your a M-F worker 9-5 the West Coast Express isn't bad, less then an hour, sit back, relax and enjoy some coffee.... Its a pretty nice ride if it works with your schedule for work, useless otherwise I agree.

They (translink) doesn't own the tracks so can't really add more service even if they wanted to, CP probably wouldn't be willing to have passenger trains run all day on their tracks and messing with their freight train schedules.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 25th 2015 at 8:45 am.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skilovernat

Port Moody is nice but is usually more expensive than Coquitlam and it has less amenities.